Sign in to follow this  
Vanstractors

Blackstripe 966 ?

Serial 31635  Has a chrome TA handle and round leveling rods still a Blackstripe ?Suppose to be original paint .I was under the impression they had square leveling rods .But my 766 has round ?966.thumb.PNG.4b2a5ec868d7ee25d0a942eba064e9c4.PNG

IMG_5826.PNG

blackstripe.PNG

Can't blow the pic up but it has the right axle housing casting (for cab mount) on right side and the beveled spot on hitch housing for the oil fill / dipstick location that was soon to be introduced on the 86 series. Should have serial number down by hydraulic filter on right side instead on left side of flywheel housing. 

Look at a parts book for the 966. Look up the decals. It will have a serial # break showing post #X being black stripes. Only way to tell a true blackie

31263 is the first black stripe 966 . Looking on Google, found archived thread on general Redpower magazine forum . All the 66 series is listed there as starting serial number for Black stripes

So the answer is yes this is a true one

Still confused  Serial number 31635 But it is on bell housing ?  Any ideas on what I got ?Do not want to restore as a Blackstripe unless  sure it is one .Story is a family tractor untouched , been on a small horse farm last 26 years on manure spreader Rowcropped until then same family.Whatcha think ?

1110181207.jpg

1110181206a.jpg

1110181206.jpg

2 hours ago, Vanstractors said:

Still confused  Serial number 31635 But it is on bell housing ?  Any ideas on what I got ?Do not want to restore as a Blackstripe unless  sure it is one .Story is a family tractor untouched , been on a small horse farm last 26 years on manure spreader Rowcropped until then same family.Whatcha think ?

1110181207.jpg

1110181206a.jpg

1110181206.jpg

On 11/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, bitty said:

31263 is the first black stripe 966 . Looking on Google, found archived thread on general Redpower magazine forum . All the 66 series is listed there as starting serial number for Black stripes

So the answer is yes this is a true one

It is a true black stripe. It would be a fake pre-black stripe by the serial number.

If my quick math is correct it is the 372nd one built as a black stripe

Contrary to popular belief, black stripes started in 1975 and the serial tag was still on the bell housing. Just like with previous models IH used up their stock of existing parts before moving on to the updated parts, so there is a transition where the black stripe features slowly appeared on the tractors. That was mostly in late 1975.

The only thing you can REALLY go by is the serial number. Parts could have been swapped out at any time, like your TA handle for example.

• Thanks 1

Youre gonna beat you head against the wall trying to prove its a legit black stripe to those who dont have any attention to Detail. Its a legit black stripe 966. 766, 966 and hydro 100 black stripes didnt have the Square 3pt screw housings since they were CAT II hitches. They still had the round. I have yet to see a late 766 or 966 with square 3pt housings. Now the 1066s and bigger had them starting in mid- late '75 right before black stripes came out in Nov of '75. The black levers started in '74. I have a '75 1066 black stripe and '76 1066 black stripe. Even though S/N tag is on bell housing theyll be a blank plate spot on side of transmission. 

• Thanks 1

If it ain't it's the oldest resto of one ever!  Redo her either way....be nice all fixed up.  I never was a Black Strip fan (rare rare locally) till joining here.  Then I liked em.  Then i seen Lorenzo's and now feel the urge to own one!

36 minutes ago, Vanstractors said:

Thanks guys  she go back black stripe !The 7 and 10  get a friend .

IMG_5290 (1).JPG

Nice pic, sweet looking tractors. I have always loved the look of those tractors. 

Get that 9 looking like the other two. Then get a 1466, 1566 and hydro 100 black stripe and then you could have the full series of black stripes.

Always be thinking ahead my friend 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have   a black stripe open cab 966 Serial number 33973. It is one of the last with the 86 series axle and clutch housings. I bought it in 1978 when the original owner traded it for a 986 with a cab. Even with an open platform it is noisy but for sheer guts in pulling there is  no other tractor like it. It would stay with the 1066 I had back in the 1980's on a hard pull. But because of the noisiness it never got used that much and today it is a clean low hour original with around 2800 hours   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Nice pic, sweet looking tractors. I have always loved the look of those tractors. 

Get that 9 looking like the other two. Then get a 1466, 1566 and hydro 100 black stripe and then you could have the full series of black stripes.

Always be thinking ahead my friend 😂😂

Don't forget the 1568. 

Nice tractors and pics. 

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Don't forget the 1568. 

Thanks for catching that hammer.

I don’t know how that slipped my mind but a 1568 would also be a real nice tractor to add to the collection if it was all restored 

8 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Thanks for catching that hammer.

I don’t know how that slipped my mind but a 1568 would also be a real nice tractor to add to the collection if it was all restored 

Good luck finding one.  I understand that there were less than 100 made and most of them went to Australia or New Zealand.  I know a few are around, but not many.  Still agree that a 1568 would be a nice addition to a collection.

Some could have been scrapped because of the V8’s failing I have heard that being a reason. 

According to tractordata there were 862 1568’s built between 1974-1976. I would believe less than 100 black stripes were built. I just looked at tractor house there is a 1568 “Blackstripe” restored with ROPS and a M&W twin turbo setup. Asking price is 65,000! 

When I think of the 1568 Blackstripe this pic comes to mind for me 

1ACE7115-3788-475D-AEE9-788F8CA64894.thumb.png.ea0d23aa0d43f6eda55a3db039a8898e.png