Sign in to follow this  
Alex uk

HJV Equip and Rocky Mountain Equip in Canada

Hi guys.

These 2 company's HJV Equipment out of Alliston and Hensall Ontario as well as a few depots further east selling AGCO sprayers and Lexion, and Rocky Mountain Equipment  full CNH line from more the central and western areas of Canada are working hard in England pushing for jobs. They are both advertsing all over the UK farm press and web sites looking for service guys , along with parts and general help type roles. Rocky Equip are even have a recruitment day later this month over here with staff from Canada over to go talk to.

The roles are all back in Canada , they will pay flights and Visa as required , work for 2 years and option of permit , offer between 25-38 CND  pay. Thats a good pay rate , againest the GBP , a good guy at the dealers will be earning around 15GBP here  , so guess its on par or better. Guess its all down to cost of living though.

Whats the deal? are ag service guys that short on the ground? Both outfits are young outfits , looking on the web it looks like Rocky equip have done lots of smaller dealer buy outs, is that always a good thing?? Anyone have any dealings with these dealers?

I am getting to old for a job change at 51 , the cut off for working abroad like Canada or New Zealand is 55 years old. Though both girls have finished school, just have George who 11 at school to look after , not sure if the wife would want to move . have looked several times at New Zealand and Canada to work over the years . A few of the New Zealand ag dealers often put out for work in England , looks like Canada are wanting help too. 

I have worked in North Dakota when I was young and single, had a great time out there . But to come and live with a family and set up home in a strange town/area would be kind of scary.

Alex.

RME is in 3 if not 4 provinces sure seems strange , hard to believe there is a shortage of help .Are they looking for specialty guys ?

They are across the Canadian border from us. Like all jobs the environment in the winter is tough up here. The oil drilling companies are tough competition for any qualified people. Like trump was just explaining we are near full employment here employment of people willing to work here in The USA the only way you can find help is offer better pay and work environment or go overseas to find workers. A lot of our local Dairy Queen workers were from Eastern Europe in the summers. Nobody wants to work here.

But our patch isn't booming and our leader with a small l couldn't give a rat's behind if it never booms again if he can avoid that he will , this is why I'm surprised . My cousin was working in the patch as mechanic , he was employed by RME but the dust in the combines wrecked him now he works in a coal mine .

Its pretty simple Alex, 

the younger generation does not want to work trade jobs or outdoors for that matter.. Some manufacturing sectors in eastern Canada have labour shortages of up to 40%.

employers are struggling to find skilled workers and or keep the ones they have. its starting to be common in my neck of the woods for restaurants and other service driven shops to reduce opening hours or just down right closing for good due to staffing issues. 

A strange world we live in

• Sad 1

a lot of the dealers around have a lot of the old guys that are nearing retirement and no one to replace as money is better fixing stuff in the oil patch and some mechanics they do get are only there for a short time then move onto another dealer or go somewhere else, nothing wrong with the companies it's more good help is hard to find, my local RME have a few people from the uk working there and they are good hard workers, also dealers are getting bigger and some dealers have a large area to cover so sending someone out on the road sometimes 2hrs away from the dealer to get something fixed  

RME has quite a few dealerships in this area & to the south,but like Wheatking said, lots of older guys & no young ones coming into replace them. Oil patch in Alberta is terrible thanks to our PM who's more interested in what the UN says than sticking up for then energy industry, plus there's no votes for him out here. Add to that an NDP government that's done nothing for oil & gas either.

Alex,  I am just a short distance from Alliston or Hensall, Lots of IH equipment still working in this area.

I am sure you could find a Job at any of the CNH dealers, also lots of JCB equipment out there.

btw, how is the 806 working for you.

Ray

HJV has a branch store in my home town....( . Central Mi. )  If they don't stock it they will get for you asap. What they don't sell they will  service it .I'm glad to have them in town . Younger crew but knowledgeable. 

hjv

RME was on rocky ground here a couple years ago I think. Things were tight they're still buying out businesses so things can't be to bad yet though. They bought out a somewhat local New Holland dealer this fall. So they're not just red.  I personally haven't had any dealings with them so can't offer much advice as what kind of company they are to work for at all. 

I can't help but think that there's  going to be hard times ahead for these big companies. Investors want to see a return every year and when farming turns down again I'm not sure what will happen. We're on a upswing here as things have been going pretty good the last few years and maybe that's their plan to weather the storms, get stores everywhere so if one falls behind the others can pick it up I don't know. All I know is there must be billions on the line with all the overhead.  I know some people that work for one of the other big dealerships and the environment sure isn't the same as it used to be though, the employees are out under a lot more pressure from the higher ups. I know a few that told them to go shove it they weren't putting up with their nonsense and they were good employees too. 

3 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

RME was on rocky ground here a couple years ago I think. Things were tight they're still buying out businesses so things can't be to bad yet though. They bought out a somewhat local New Holland dealer this fall. So they're not just red.  I personally haven't had any dealings with them so can't offer much advice as what kind of company they are to work for at all. 

I can't help but think that there's  going to be hard times ahead for these big companies. Investors want to see a return every year and when farming turns down again I'm not sure what will happen. We're on a upswing here as things have been going pretty good the last few years and maybe that's their plan to weather the storms, get stores everywhere so if one falls behind the others can pick it up I don't know. All I know is there must be billions on the line with all the overhead.  I know some people that work for one of the other big dealerships and the environment sure isn't the same as it used to be though, the employees are out under a lot more pressure from the higher ups. I know a few that told them to go shove it they weren't putting up with their nonsense and they were good employees too. 

You are right about share holders wanting returns and almost all these big companies are on the stock market , times are liable to get tighter . Pattison Ag. is lucky because the pockets are real deep there and some of the other subsidiaries may be able to help out for awhile but Jimmy didn't get wealthy by being soft.

Well my question returned some posts!

I spent the first 25 years of my working life working for ag dealers , though now work for JCB as a research tech, though my job isn't as good as it was . I have been moved around to engine development testing , good money , but shut inside a test house all day with not many windows and ALOT of computer work which I am not so happy at. All those years working both a dealers and on farm can never get out of your body. Though even regular ag mechanics now have to bee a PC wizz to plug into all the modern equipment. I am thinking of sticking out my job over the winter and until the Euro brexit deal is over. I can see some of the manufacturing companies coming unstuck over trade with Europe. Jaguar/Land rover and Toyota are already planning downturns and possible plat slowdown/closures if brexit deal falls bad. i then may look into a ag job over here if not overseas.

I have worked for both small family firm and multi depot big time ag dealers , and I know time does move on , but my time at the smaller guys was the best time I had . Had to work hard and outside in all weathers when needed, but felt a member of the family and rewarded the same has the boss did his own 2 lads who worked for him.

The big AGCO dealer I worked for a short while was nothing more that a front for his corrupt trucking firm , money, money, and time he could charge out was the big deal , customer and staff second.

I'd be cautious of travelling half way around the world to work for RME. Without some positve reports.

I know just were you guys are coming from with the lack of interest from the younger guys, we have same problem at work also, some done to lack of training or interest from the guys themselves. just watch a new guy use a hacksaw to cut a piece of steel! No idea in TPI on a blade or even hold it correct . But ask them how to upload a new phone app or set up some driver on a PC and there straight on it!

My wife would take some talking to come over , but the rural lifestyle would be the appeal for me. Though have noticed the price of property is rising also.  Could I get a house with some tractor shedding and a good size yard for maybe 400,000-450,000 CND. Maybe I will have to come on a trip over with the wife to convince here.

Alex.

23 hours ago, IKS said:

But our patch isn't booming and our leader with a small l couldn't give a rat's behind if it never booms again if he can avoid that he will , this is why I'm surprised . My cousin was working in the patch as mechanic , he was employed by RME but the dust in the combines wrecked him now he works in a coal mine .

I would have though coal dust be a bigger killer than combine dust? Or is most of the coal open cast?

Though I do know its some of the fungi spores you can find in crops are bad for a guy.

33 minutes ago, Alex uk said:

. just watch a new guy use a hacksaw to cut a piece of steel!

lol i caught our noob using the angle grinder to round off the corners of a wood crate ... i was too late, the fire alarm triggered by the time a asked "what the **** are you doing ??? "  i have seen the rookies do a lot of stupid things over the years, but that one took the trophy home...

On 11/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, IKS said:

When trump is term limited in 2024 he can come north and run your country for a few years.

dealt with HJV from alliston before.  great company to deal with, knowledgeable and fast getting us parts.

if you're looking in that price range then you can find ample tractor space.  land value seems to bounce around to a high of $10,000/acre unless you get into the oxford county area where its seems to be $25,000/acre

On 11/6/2018 at 4:48 PM, Power of Red said:

Its pretty simple Alex, 

the younger generation does not want to work trade jobs or outdoors for that matter.. Some manufacturing sectors in eastern Canada have labour shortages of up to 40%.

employers are struggling to find skilled workers and or keep the ones they have. its starting to be common in my neck of the woods for restaurants and other service driven shops to reduce opening hours or just down right closing for good due to staffing issues. 

A strange world we live in

It's the same problem in Western Ontario too. 

One of the 2 main redi-mix concrete companies is looking for mixer truck drivers and is offering $27 /hr. 

Alex I expect with those 2 companies that are looking for mechanics, there would be a lot of long days with quite a bit of travel an in field service. I believe  the HJV shop at Hensall is not huge, not sure on the Alliston location. 

Theres only one, as far as I know, independent CIH dealer in Manitoba. The rest are all Rocky Mountain now. I wont say if it's good or bad, but theres no competition now. At least Saskatchewan has some other dealers, although RME has a fairly large presence there too. 

I've got friends that work at RME, and friends that have quit there. It's a huge company, and your just a number there, not a name. But most places are getting that way. I can't complain about their service though. There's good guys to deal with, and some you dont want to deal with again lol

Rocky mountain is the Case dealer in this area around Edmonton AB.  I don't think they have the best reputation to work for so that is one reason for all the recruiting.  I occasionally go to the local and the parts guys there have been the same for the last couple of years so they are not hurting that bad for staff.  Business around here are always complaining about the staff so that is what they do.  Like farmers complaining about the weather.   If they didn't complain they would be dead.   I work off the farm and where I work they do pretty good for staff so I don't get the we can't find good staff stuff.   As for pay, cost of living is high here in Canuckistan so many jobs are just not paid very well and they can't get good staff.   If you want rustic rural living you need to come here.  Just about hit two dear last night in the farm driveway so lots of hunting potential if you are into that.  There is land for sale around here for around 2500 per acre or less but it is not prime land.  Great for quading.  Just need to love eight months of winter.   You could rent our farmhouse in the winter while my wife and I head to Florida.