Jump to content

Year-A-Round Cab for 86 series?


Recommended Posts

Has anyone seen the ad in the latest RPM for a YAR cab for an 86 series?

Definitely not a misprint, as the ad specifically states that it has an internal fuel tank. The picture is just a side profile;  it does look like it has a curved front to match an 86 series, but otherwise it looks like a normal everyday YAR cab.

If it belongs to one of you out there, it would be cool to know more about it, to get some pictures from other angles, etc... Seems like this would be a rare piece of IH-related history, AND the doors open the right way!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was on a 786. Hines Equipment Repair in Delta Ohio is the one who has it. They posted picture of it on their Facebook page.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the pointer! Interesting. I've always liked the looks of the Hiniker/YAR. Never liked the tractor underneath much.

I might have to go get it now... Find me an 86 series with a clapped out factory cab, and slap it on there. Or, just put it on my 1586 for giggles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt the steering pedestal part of an 86 series cab? If so would think you would have to find an open station 86 to rob parts off of to make it work.

It would be interesting to see the difference in cab made for 86 by hiniker but agree i would rather fix a factory 86 cab if it already had one unless it had been cut off or otherwise ruined beyond repair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dumbfarmer said:

Why. The only thing nicer about the 86 series over the 66 was the cab. Worst of both worlds imo 

This would be why. Just to make guys like you shake your heads. Plus the door opens the RIGHT WAY!

There are a lot of 86 series out there with cabs that are more work to repair than they are worth, and a good used cab that isn't already on a tractor is an extinct species. You can patch on a factory 86 series cab until you're blue in the face, or you can put this on and it will never rust out.

The steering pedestal is part of the cab floor. Per the 786 pictures on Facebook, you can just pull the cab shell and set this on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

This would be why. Just to make guys like you shake your heads. Plus the door opens the RIGHT WAY!

There are a lot of 86 series out there with cabs that are more work to repair than they are worth, and a good used cab that isn't already on a tractor is an extinct species. You can patch on a factory 86 series cab until you're blue in the face, or you can put this on and it will never rust out.

The steering pedestal is part of the cab floor. Per the 786 pictures on Facebook, you can just pull the cab shell and set this on.

I dont understand....the door on my 186 open just like 99% of cars, semis, airplanes and etc.  Why is it wrong I cant ever understand.  The K+M kit to put a gas strut on is great I will say.  Now the SHIFTER location....THAT is the problem IMO!  I cannot imagine having to squeeze in a 66 series cab daily.  Get hooked on TA lever and trip on clutch.  Rubyred on here widened and modified his Deluxe cab and it looks real slick.  Bigger entry way and door, pretty nice work.

  Year-round rust too dont they?  i should see this picture....on facebook right?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

I dont understand....the door on my 186 open just like 99% of cars, semis, airplanes and etc.  Why is it wrong I cant ever understand.  The K+M kit to put a gas strut on is great I will say.  Now the SHIFTER location....THAT is the problem IMO!  I cannot imagine having to squeeze in a 66 series cab daily.  Get hooked on TA lever and trip on clutch.  Rubyred on here widened and modified his Deluxe cab and it looks real slick.  Bigger entry way and door, pretty nice work.

  Year-round rust too dont they?  i should see this picture....on facebook right?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would and have refurbed 86 series cabs not a big deal atleast you have something tight ,quiet and clean when you are done. Any after market cab is nothing more than a dusty dirty noise resonator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CDN 400 said:

I would and have refurbed 86 series cabs not a big deal atleast you have something tight ,quiet and clean when you are done. Any after market cab is nothing more than a dusty dirty noise resonator.

I agree 100%

A number of years ago i thought about what it would take to put a 86 series cab on our 786. The problem was finding a decent enough cab to put on it. It ended up never happening.

I never would have put a aftermarket cab on it. Seeing that picture of a Year-a-Round on that 786 confirmed it. I would rather ride on the open platform than in that Soup can.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Oh the hate on the 86 series! Will never see why people think thier the worst tractor international ever made! 

Ill agree with you a 100%

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still want one. I dont mind aftermarket cabs either but do think this one looks funny on an 86. Too far forward or something. If i ever get one i guess i will have a blue face from patching the original cab. 😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 1066's, one with a Year A Round and one with the red Deluxe cab.  I'd much rather get in and out of the Year A Round 20 or more times a day when hauling grain than the IH cab.  Those vertical steps on the IH cab are a pain as well as the door opening. 

Just my 2 cents worth! 😐

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Oh the hate on the 86 series! Will never see why people think thier the worst tractor international ever made! 

I think you mean best tractor IH ever made! :)   I love me some 86 series action! 

 

 

I get cracked up with all the pics each spring and fall of all the 86 series tractors still in the fields earning their keep.  They are 40 years old at this point and still being used.  It makes you wonder if the engineers who designed the 06-86 series tractors would of thought they would still be out working 40-50-60 years later. 

 

 

You'll have to take my comments with a grain of salt, I'm still just a 10yo little boy at heart who really liked the neighbor's 986 growing up and wished we could of had one! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take a the rattlyest year a round over a open station on a cold snowy windy winter day.

Edited by mader656
Edited for redundancy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the chance to buy that cab or a nice 86 series cab from the Hines. Not having a air conditioner here in the south made me decide on the good used 86 series cab. That Year-a-round on the 786 was neat though. I've wanted an 86 series with a cab since they were introduced in the fall of 1976. I was chapter FFA president and the advisor wanted a John Deere tractor as a backdrop for our group picture. I told him I'll take care of it. Well the backdrop was a brand new 886 with a cab. That was the first one I've ever drove and I've wanted one ever since.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mader656 said:

I'll take a the rattlyest year a round over a open station on a cold snowy windy winter day.

I'll take an open station over a cab since I don't have to use them on a cold snowy  windy winter day haha. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys won't believe this but I have an original picture of the 786 with that cab on it . Now I need to find it Ian all those old pictures .

Danny 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the standard 86 cab was nice. We liked it 200% better than the 4630 we had with the sg cab. 

That year-round would be nice to have because of the uniqueness though 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I’ve seen a 786 with the year-round cab at auction in the fall of 2014at a Ritchie Brothers auction in Kemptville Ontario.

 It must’ve been a big job to install that cab because you had to remove the platform and then set that cab on the cab mounts and then transfer the shifters, hydraulic lever,3 point hitch levers and seat into the year a round cab.

Here’s a few pictures.

 

45B14CBD-DDD3-43A2-9D72-CEA357DB70D0.jpeg

D1B96DEE-12FD-4289-AA46-6729A4B936CE.jpeg

F4A8B4E1-C7C1-4514-8159-6BB25E707AFA.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

$20 says it's the same tractor we're talking about now. 

By the looks of the Facebook page the cab just sets on the open station floor after you remove the fenders and hand rails. All the shifters and controls stay with the tractor. No different than setting on a factory cab shell or a rops

You can remove the entire cab or just the shell leaving the controls and floor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...