Moose sighting today

dale560

Cool to see, different, but of all the things to hit on the highway, moose with their long running gear, I think would be one of the worst.

22 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Cool to see, different, but of all the things to hit on the highway, moose with their long running gear, I think would be one of the worst.

He is about 200 ft from hiway. He or she is a real calm moose the way it appears. The last time I had seen it just watched me spray. This one was in my silage corn a couple miles away I think also. We are about 65 miles from Canadian border at farm and moose are plentiful up there.

They are slowly spreading everywhere , we live in the bald open prairie and there is a season for them . I don't know if it is more game management or government revenue .Some of us love seeing them others hate them .We all hate them when they eat out young trees .Last winter about 4-6 moved into our village they were getting a lot of attention caused a lot of destruction.

38 minutes ago, dale560 said:

He is about 200 ft from hiway. He or she is a real calm moose the way it appears. The last time I had seen it just watched me spray. This one was in my silage corn a couple miles away I think also. We are about 65 miles from Canadian border at farm and moose are plentiful up there.

I would suppose they can be a lot like deer, some are just more calm and "traffic wise". You see them out there or in the ditch and just know they are not going to bolt out in front of you. (unless rut is on)

You know i love nature and wild life but there are several good reasons we hunted some of these animals down to populations seen in the 60s and 70s....nice pictures and i would have stopped to look at him too

39 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

You know i love nature and wild life but there are several good reasons we hunted some of these animals down to populations seen in the 60s and 70s....nice pictures and i would have stopped to look at him too

Concur!  Also need thinning out the turkeys and coyotes again too.

Ron

24 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

Yes, like any animal, too many of them and they become a pest. I remember when the first   beaver and raccoon sightings here were a big deal to get the camera out for. Now we reach for something else. 

45 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

Turkey's I don't mind so much because they are great on grasshoppers, but the coyotes are a constant problem. It's nice to get a little ammo money for selling pelts but they are controlled any time they are found out with my cows.

Looking forward to get them in Ohio from Pa. 

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Looking forward to get them in Ohio from Pa. 

Coyotes??? I try to chase them west then! We have a pile of them in pa.

Moose are pretty mellow, and just don’t care.  Unless you get between momma and her calf, then you better be on your toes because she will kill you or worse

they taste great, and are fun to hunt, until the pictures are over. Then it’s a lot of work to haul out and clean, but feeds the family well

Oh, and they love to eat our old jack o lanterns, they really like pumpkins and taters in the winter

2 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Moose are pretty mellow, and just don’t care.  Unless you get between momma and her calf, then you better be on your toes because she will kill you or worse

they taste great, and are fun to hunt, until the pictures are over. Then it’s a lot of work to haul out and clean, but feeds the family well

They tell me you don't  want  to be around when the rutting season (September) is on. A bull can get pretty ornery and have no fear of humans. 

Moose are really hard to see at night when on the road. One thing they are taller than a deer and their eyes don't shine for headlights either. When I lived in NE Minnesota and hauling pulpwood the other drivers always said never blow the air horn at them as they will come for your truck and the males with antlers will trash your truck and it's true as I've seen pictures.

dwf

Archived