Farmall Super H versus 300

I’ve been looking at both a Super H and a 300. I was originally leaning towards the 300, but now the Super H seems intriguing. This will just be a parade type tractor so no real work... what are your thoughts? Is a 300 easier or harder to get parts for?

Lol!! I like the 300 for all those features and the fact I hardly ever see one. However, super H’s are really uncommon here as well, and that kind of appeals to me as well. I think the Super H weighs a little less so it would be easier to haul. 

I REALLY enjoyed stepping up to the stage 2 Super H spring of 1968, May 8th If I remember correctly.  Lots faster and more powerful than the '39 H it replaced.  SH was a lot simpler to service, but a 300/350 with TA, LPTO, maybe even factory PS lot easier to use on lots of jobs.  Neighbor had a 350 as his only tractor on 160 acres for several years.  A 350 wasn't quite a 3-bottom tractor in our area, but his ground didn't have the hills our ground had so he got by.  His didn't have Fast-Hitch, just regular horseshoe drawbar and swinging drawbar. The increased oil capacity of the live Lift-All hyd system let the 300/350 run loaders with hyd. buckets, something an H/M/SH/SM had trouble with, Depended on how the cylinders worked.  My Cousin still has his Dad's Farmall 300 he bought new,  takes it to a couple shows a year and on tractor rides.  And I get the SH out every snow storm to clear the driveway and in front of mailbox. Plus a couple times in the summer as needed.

I personally would look for a 350,  extra 6 cid,  plus the white trim on grill and side panels looks sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’m going to go with a Super H as I located a nice one... I almost changed direction completely and went with a 706 but it was more money and at the very least needed a valve job. As much as I prefer the bigger tractors I only have a 1/2 ton truck so a 706 with loaded tires is just a bit too much for long trips.

In my area the dealers generally back in 1954 avoided the Super H because they knew the new 300 and 400 were coming that fall. I still remember when our local dealer received his first 300 and 400 in November 1954 and he had already presold them that fall. The addition of IPTO , T/A,  Fast Hitch and about 5 more HP made them a very saleable tractor as compared the Stage 2 Super H.  

12 hours ago, George 2 said:

In my area the dealers generally back in 1954 avoided the Super H because they knew the new 300 and 400 were coming that fall. I still remember when our local dealer received his first 300 and 400 in November 1954 and he had already presold them that fall. The addition of IPTO , T/A,  Fast Hitch and about 5 more HP made them a very saleable tractor as compared the Stage 2 Super H.  

The actual first owner of my SH was a high school teacher,  wife and two kids, bought 80 acres, the SH, plow, disk, planter, sickle mower, was going to subsistence farm, raise couple hogs, milk cow, beef cow, dozen chickens, lots of vegetables in the garden.  He made it just past Memorial Day when the bank put him out of the farming business. IH dealer got the SH and equipment all back.

Spring of '55 BTO ordered new IH 4 row planter with all the options.  Dealer hooked the SH to it for delivery,  Salesman rode with the BTO for half a day,  was going to take tractor back to town, BTO said "I'm keeping tractor too". SH was struggling on some of his hills, he bought a 300 Farmall for planting in '56. SH didn't do much after that,  so in spring of '68 he traded it for a 756 diesel. He was renting the 320 acres across the road that year, watched that 756 and the 4020 Power Shift he bought the week after plow, 756 planted with IH 6-30 planter, 756 cultivated.

I never really understood why the BTO bought a 300, a 400 made much more sense. He had a 560 diesel that lived on his mix-mill, ground hog feed every day. His big tractor was the first 1206 our local dealer sold.

The SH was good for hauling 5000# of hog feed in 100 bushel Heider auger wagon, hauling water to hog lots, 300 gallon at a time. Mowing/raking hay,  pulled our little JD R manure spreader fine, bet it would have pulled the #44 spreaders the BTO I worked for had. I normally pulled one spreader with a JD 60, but if the Boss loaded, we used both spreaders and used a JD A that was totally clapped out on the other spreader.  Hauled in all the oats and corn from combining & corn picking.  If I was driving the tractor on the baler Dad hauled the hay & straw in with the '51 M. It was HIS favorite. He planted corn & beans with the SH, but before we had the SH he used the M. I pulled the endgate seeder wagon with the SH. Could seed 20 acres in just over an hour.

Super H was reaching the limit of what it was capable of doing. BTO I worked for used his 520 Deere to plant, 4-38 #7000 Deere planter, and #690 6-30 bean planter, even cultivated beans with the 520, hauled in all his haylage with 520. Some how that little tractor got those BIG chuck wagons rolling in 6th. All 10 mph.  If he could use his 520 every day for something, a SH, 300/350 still has a place. If an N Ford is indispensable, a Farmall certainly is too. 

Unless you need a speed between fourth and fifth a stage one SH would be a simpler tractor for parades. No engine driven hydraulics to cause trouble, no hydraulics under the sheet metal to leak, no t/a to have a problem with. Simpler getting on and off without a t/a and pto handle to avoid or 2 point hitch if installed. Simple to maintain.  Hydraulic pump in clutch housing can have the drive shaft disconnected if not needed. For using a 300 with everything working would make it a handier tractor.  Going on tractor rides with steep hills to pull or other things a gear to start off between 4 and 5 the 300 better.  Best setup for tractor rides in that size tractor is a 9 speed transmission in a H or SH or a more common H 9 speed installed in a SH. Can match a gear to most ride speeds and still have engine braking going down grade.  Dave

I would vote for the 300 with a fasthitch. Restore a fasthitch carrier and then the kids can ride in the back throwing candy

46 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

That’s actually a really good idea!!! I may have to rethink this once again 😳

I have been wanting to do this. I am thinking about a bench seat made out of rough cut wide lumber may look correct on it.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Old school bus seat or two.

That’s been a thought of mine,   But if your going to do that why not put two seats across from each other, with an umbrella?   Oh how it can spin out of control

I have a '57 model 350 that I'm the 2nd owner of, bought the farm it was on after I bought the tractor.  Mine has power steering and fast hitch, I've converted it to 12 volt and electronic ignition, makes a nice yard tractor for moving equipment around.

I owned a '54 Super H for a little while, found out it needed overhauling and got rid of it, I wish now I'd kept it, I actually love the styling of the Supers much more that the 100's and 50's style tractor.

I'd love to have a Super HTA, that would give me the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

I like this thread it's good and proper :lol:

seriosly though, for parades a SH has a real nostalgic quality but have you considered a Cub/a/b/c? You say towing is a concern and they all parade well too. Whatever you choose is going to be great