Pete0179

C-135 engine

I'm looking for a replacement engine for my t-340 crawler. I understand that it is a  c-135 engine which was commonly used in various international applications. My question is will a farmall " m" tractor engine bolt up to a t-340 crawler transmission ?. I don't care about front block mounts etc. I'm just curious about the rear of the block mating to a t-340 crawler transmission. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

M won't fit,  lots more room required.  mmi is correct there are at least two maybe three different bell patterns on the c135 engines and i believe same is true on 153.

I think that we built a plate to put a 4b cummins in one once upon a time, or may have been for a 504. Which is pretty similar to your T340. Also did a 3.3 cummins deal into a small frame. either of those engines be a lot better than the original if you put much time on it.

Hi Pete,

my recommendation is to investigate using a later serial number C-135 the parts are much easier to come by. the blocks are different between earlier and later. get the entire parts books from Binder books and it is readily apparent the differences.  you'll save much headache in the long run. parts are not interchangeable  between the two C-135 engine series but i do believe they rotate in same direction and bolt up to housings, input shafts,  clutches, etc. however i have not done this personally yet so I cannot verify entirely.

unless something changed dont confuse later with last of the 135 from 404 period they were NLA

rumored to be 7 different patterns of block

would not consider repower project unless you have a "complete" perfect UC   they only last 2500-3k hours tops

and over 50hp will really tear into the non "construction" internals that have NEVER !!  been serviced since new

Thanks for the input. I am going to repair the original c-135 engine just enough to run so I can determine whether the crawler is worth putting any money into. I got it for scrap price  engine rebuilt recently only to have rain cap stuck open. I'll redo the two bad cylinders and see what else is wrong or bad with crawler. After inspection realize tracks aren't in very good condition. Seems to be common with these .oh well may be a parts machine if all else fails. Thanks again for your input.