1256 vs 1456

1456InTheNetherlands

Hey guys,

Bought an 1256 wheatland this week. Very original an only 4000 hours on it, shifting and pedals are very straight.

I've bought de 12 with the thougts using her for parts to make my 14 better. Because my 14 have no TA. But the 12 is so straight that is sad to use for parts. Maybe only replace the TA en painting the 12. What are the opinions from you.

Also the 14 have an cracking noise in the rear ends, what is the probably issue? Whealbearings?

Sorry for my English, i live in Limburg, The Netherlands.

Greetings Luc 

ed0205be-dd09-46c8-a1ba-fbdb39e56f21.jpg

a186b50a-cbfd-48b7-aa2b-d3f3e76e9862.jpg

Hello Luc

give me a call on 06 20398825.  I can help you with your questions/problems

I wouldnt wreck a clean original 1256 to save a decent 1456 with no TA. Plenty of wrecked out IH 856/1256/1456s to buy all the linkages, brackets, handle and TA type MCV. You might as well put a new HD TA in while you have it split down that far.  Lots of buyers from Europe in the US buying tractors and parts and being shipped overseas. Have a buyer find you all the parts you need if you cant find them from local importers. 

Drain the oil down in the Range transmission and pull  the side cover off of the left side of the range transmission, just inside the front of the left rear wheel and have a look at the Park-Reverse Gear.  Like many Internationals before (and after!) it I would say that the Park-Reverse gear is chipped from being put into Park while moving.

Replacing the Park-Reverse Gear means stripping the entire rear axle and Range transmission, unfortunately not a small, quick repair.

50 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

I wouldnt wreck a clean original 1256 to save a decent 1456 with no TA. Plenty of wrecked out IH 856/1256/1456s to buy all the linkages, brackets, handle and TA type MCV. You might as well put a new HD TA in while you have it split down that far.  Lots of buyers from Europe in the US buying tractors and parts and being shipped overseas. Have a buyer find you all the parts you need if you cant find them from local importers. 

There is no cheaper solution than this option. But i didn't now that the 12 in this good condition was. So i got doubts, wat to do.

I think you have right. It's such a nice machine but no hitch, so it is a bit useless for me.

45 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Drain the oil down in the Range transmission and pull  the side cover off of the left side of the range transmission, just inside the front of the left rear wheel and have a look at the Park-Reverse Gear.  Like many Internationals before (and after!) it I would say that the Park-Reverse gear is chipped from being put into Park while moving.

Replacing the Park-Reverse Gear means stripping the entire rear axle and Range transmission, unfortunately not a small, quick repair.

I was afraid of that sort of repair. Nice winter job.

Thanks for the advice.

13 hours ago, 1456InTheNetherlands said:

There is no cheaper solution than this option. But i didn't now that the 12 in this good condition was. So i got doubts, wat to do.

I think you have right. It's such a nice machine but no hitch, so it is a bit useless for me.

Maybe clean it up nice and resell it since it wont work for you.  Then take the money and get parts for the 1456.  ?

Where you at?  Thats a big hill in the back ground for Holland!

4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Maybe clean it up nice and resell it since it wont work for you.  Then take the money and get parts for the 1456.  ?

Where you at?  Thats a big hill in the back ground for Holland!

Yeah maybe that is an option. But it is not so easy to get parts in Holland. I wish i lived in the USA.

Epen in Holland (see google) it is in all the way of the south of Holland. Only in us area are hills, the rest of Holland is really flat.

3 hours ago, 1456InTheNetherlands said:

Yeah maybe that is an option. But it is not so easy to get parts in Holland. I wish i lived in the USA.

Epen in Holland (see google) it is in all the way of the south of Holland. Only in us area are hills, the rest of Holland is really flat.

It does look nice there.  Wish i had a nice original 12 or 14. I've been looking for one with an affordable price tag

Figuring the time it would take to tear down the 12 to get the parts needed for the 14.....I think shipping the part you need in would likely be cheaper.   I would never go to all the work to tear down a tractor that far and then put in a used TA anyway.   My suggestion:   get the 14 in the shop and tear it down.   If possible, use the 12 while the 14 is in pieces.   (I know you guys use mostly 3pt equipment over there!)  Once you know what you need for parts, order them in.  It might be as simple as a gear and a TA.   Once you have the 14 back together, sell the 12.

Or, maybe contact Long Farms on here....he just posted about shipping a whole 1066 to France, maybe he could ship a entire rear end over for your 14!

I think I got all the parts in stock to rebuilt it to a TA transmission, and you got my telefon number, you called me once.... I think you were once in our workshop before, so don't say here that there are no parts in Europe....

You bought that 2 post canopy from us......

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, 1456InTheNetherlands said:

You are Dutch?

ja, dat ben ik

I sure wish that I had your kind of problems to complain about.  You buy what you thought was a junker off the internet and get one that is so nice that you can't possibly part it out and live with yourself.  Every time I buy something, it usually works out the opposite for me.  You should fix them both up and be the "King of the Hill".  I think you will be fine and the parts will be available.  You know that you can put a three point hitch onto the 12.  Keep us posted.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:30 PM, Frank IH said:

I think I got all the parts in stock to rebuilt it to a TA transmission, and you got my telefon number, you called me once.... I think you were once in our workshop before, so don't say here that there are no parts in Europe....

Yeah, i know you have all the parts but it's to expensive for me now. Like i sad before there is no cheaper solution than this, but the 12 is to nice for parts. 

14 hours ago, rsscott said:

I sure wish that I had your kind of problems to complain about.  You buy what you thought was a junker off the internet and get one that is so nice that you can't possibly part it out and live with yourself.  Every time I buy something, it usually works out the opposite for me.  You should fix them both up and be the "King of the Hill".  I think you will be fine and the parts will be available.  You know that you can put a three point hitch onto the 12.  Keep us posted.

A little bit of a luxe problem😅 yep i go fix them up and then we look further.

I will do

Archived