DirtBoyz07

The missing articulated Magnum 😎

awesome job. can see why you wouldn't turn down a resto like that. what a story and i'm sure theres more to come. you have so much to be proud of.  I have a calender picture of your #1 1086 in my shop and look at it almost every time I walk in the door. keep us informed with your work, love it

Wasn't it a Case design with IH after Case? Not an IH design? Cummins engine not IH.

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

image.jpeg

Danny,

In the background of the articulated 7140 is a (620?) press wheel drill with a skidsteer mounting plate on the back of it.  How come?

Jef

Danny,

can you explain how they did the articulation?  What I mean is, did they use parts from the 2+2s or is it a custom made ‘hinge’?  How does the drive train work different from a standard magnum?  Is it just the engine in front of the swivel with the range and speed sections behind?

Was this pretty much just a new paint job and fixing leaks or was there any major mechanical involved with this restoration? I suppose some parts are available as being common with a magnum but probably a lot of custom made stuff as well.

just curious as this is really interesting.

danny, i noticed it had the newer exhaust on the side, how did it come from the turbo? any pics? flex pipe?

What is the antenna on the mirror for?  Looking good, Danny!!

jerry

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Danny,

In the background of the articulated 7140 is a (620?) press wheel drill with a skidsteer mounting plate on the back of it.  How come?

Jef

Guy around here had the JD version of the 620 set up like that to seed grass waterways and such for his excavation business. used it in his tracked skid steer

Wow! Danny, you sure kept that project under wraps.... Bet the temptation to talk about it with other enthusiasts was great!  Great job!

Awesome job Danny! Couldn't think of anyone better to do it. Very interesting project to say the least. Thank you for preserving history!

Mark , I'm not sure if that thing will ever leave Hinsdale but it would be cool to see the JD team all over it taking pictures like the Guys in Japan , they would have that thing out next year 😂😂

Jeff that 620 drill goes on my Cat 299C track loader seeding water ways , and works great 👍

Mudfly , it has its own articulation joint designed off the Super 70 series so it bolted to the original IH powershift transmission and they had to redo the front side to fit the redesigned side frames and Cummins motor . The tractor didn't need much other than service and for me to make the front wheels steer , alittle head scratching and I got it to work with no books, no electrical engineers, dang they all retired . 

Jeff , the exhaust was there design and they built the hinging /rotating exhaust under the hood , very creative for sure .

Jerry , I'm not sure what the antenna was for the coax was gone but had a bunch of stuff in the cab for different applications of tillage and planting .

Hope this helps with your questions 

Danny 

I got to get out to the underground bunker more. All this neat history around me & all I got time for is work. 

Great job Danny!!  We’ll have to have coffee & doughnuts some Saturday  & check the Magnum. 

8 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I forgot to tell you guys about the steering , it has two ways to steer the tractor , one with the steering wheel and one with the joystick . The front wheels turn then it bends in the middle and with the duals on it will turn around a 5 gal pail !!! I was around the 2+2's when they were new and thought they were there clear deal , this is the revision at its finest !! The man in the picture was the the engineer who built the 2+2 and most of the tractor we all know . He started at IH Engineering in 1961 and his last tractor he built was in 1984 and it was the 5488 /powershift . Just so you guys hear it from me and it's first hand from this the man that him and his team built the 5488 powershift and was all done at the time of the merger . The rest of this story is to be told at a later time so that everyone gets the IH side of this story and not the Case boys side of this story .

Danny 

Case never built anything but a bunch of unreliable junk , before IH .

I’ll just leave this here F Case ;)

• Like 1

Very interesting Danny     Thanks for posting

PsIs this what you would consider the pinnacle of your career, or are you saving that for that hydro- mechanical transmission 😎😎!

You have definitely outdone yourself with this project! People will be talking about this the world over! It’s already blowing up on FB and from what I can see here, here too😁

You have shown everyone what the diehard IH fans have known for a long time, ideas weren’t  stolen at IH, they were developed from the ground up!

Well done good and faithful servant, well done!

And while I’m at it, I think Sherry and the staff at Heritage Iron need a round of applause for keeping this on the downlow until publishing the story! Great job for all involved with this tractor 👍👏👏👏

ps; we need a ride along video!

Got my heritage iron today and took it to the field to read while the auto steer on the combine did the work. Great story👍🤓😃🥇

jerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommyw-5088 said:

Case never built anything but a bunch of unreliable junk , before IH .

I’ll just leave this here F Case ;)

And IH’s record was spotless too I suppose.  I think of several Case tractors that I would taken to the field before before the equivalent IH.  Nobody was perfect 100% 

• Like 1

How come that never made it to production?  That might have been a bigger hit then the 2+2 since it looked like a conventional tractor but offered some of the 2+2 advatanges.  Was there any thought of duels in the front?

I can't say enough to all of you for the compliments 😊 If it wasn't for my friend at engineering this thing would of headed to China for rebar !! The reason it go to production was some folks from the dark side didn't like IH's 2+2 or Super 70 series so it went off the drawing board 😞 But we brought it back and with the lights flashing and the horns blowing !! I would of loved to run it out in the field , it was darn impressive just running it around the yard .

Danny 

That's pretty cool!  If I were in the same situation I would have jumped on the opportunity to restore it as well.  Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks for sharing pics and the story. I knew this tractor existed as Ken Updike posted some pics of it a while back in a discussion on facebook.  

Congrats and job well done!

Our local CIH area manager told me about this thing in the mid nineties, he drove it at hinsdale  and told me about how it all worked.

Funny how it's taken over twenty years for me to see it😁.

Still pretty cool to see .

Nice to see that the secret is out for everyone to see.

A&J

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, DirtBoyz07 said:

I can't say enough to all of you for the compliments 😊 If it wasn't for my friend at engineering this thing would of headed to China for rebar !! The reason it go to production was some folks from the dark side didn't like IH's 2+2 or Super 70 series so it went off the drawing board 😞 But we brought it back and with the lights flashing and the horns blowing !! I would of loved to run it out in the field , it was darn impressive just running it around the yard .

Danny 

How ignorant some people can be! That tractor would've sold BIG TIME in the corn belt. That is my biggest complaint about the 71-89 series Magnums; if you have the wheels set in for 30" rows, the turning radius is terrible. It's just a shame that tractor wasn't in production, I would've owned at least 2.

Instead of mfd Magnums, I bought 9130,9230 & 9330 Steigers over the years. Still have a 9330 & a 8920mfd. Much rather drive the 9330, only the 18 speed powershift would've made it better.

Thanks Danny for showing this!