1440 and 15' 820 grain header questions

chadd

A few questions:

1)  There is a ticking noise (kind of like a turn signal) under the RH console any time the key is in the run position.  Is this normal?

2)  Was working on putting poly skid shoes on the header and the temps dropped and look to stay there.  Anyone ever put them on in 30-40 deg weather?  The instructions say not to install below 60 deg   I am guessing when the plastic expands in warm weather it could pop the rivets out?

3)  How do you remove the skid shoes on an 820 header?  It is a piece of cake to change them from the high to the low setting, but I can't figure out how to remove them for service?  I took the cotter pins out but none of the rods or cams seem to want to slide out or into the neighboring shoe..

Chad

I put them on in any temp On our headers no problem the rivets are very strong and secure I use an air chisel on the rivets takes them off in no time

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. 

Two more combine questions:

1) Is there a common issue that causes the header to drift down when setup is changed to use the AHHC?  My combine is an early 1979 1440, so it is the twin stick, not the electric over hydraulic.  When I had it set up for the corn head, the head stays up seemingly forever.  After doing the setup changes for the AHHC, when the valve is in the neutral position, the head drops so fast from the top of travel that I can't get the transport lock tube to engage because it has fallen too far;  even when I jump down the ladder after just letting go of the valve.

2) I noticed that I have a cracked elephant ear/impeller blade on the combine, so I am looking to replace them all.  Anyone have better luck with OEM ones vs. aftermarket?  Any benefits to one vs. the other?  It seems like Kile and Marlin kits come up frequently in the archives.  For info, we do soybeans, corn, and occasionally winter wheat.  I am not running large tracts of land and am not really trying to squeeze every ounce of productivity out of the combine, but figured if I have to replace them, I might as well see what the options are and what the cost difference is.  The combine is equipped with the standard rotor and has the 3 factory elephant ears with chrome wear bars.  It seems to work OK, but I am usually limited to 2.5mph in beans due to rotor rumble.  I noticed in the "Harvesting Product Support" catalog there was a complete rotor hub assembly (p/n B95414) listed for 40 and 60 series combines, but it only shows 2 elephant ears, not 3.  Are the two blades supposed to improve feeding?  I thought it seems odd that the dealer wants almost as much for a set of 3 original style blades and chrome wear bars as for the entire new rotor hub assembly?

Get the oem kit it comes with new bolts use them old ones are stretched  and can brake . There are all the same weight to keep it in balance. There is an oring in the valve stack that's bad is the reason why the feeder housing goes down. The reason you have rotor rumble is rotor rpm too low . Rotor rpm should be set 50 rpm above rumble this changes during the day as crop tuffnus changes. Will try to get the number of the oring.

Archived