twood19541

How John Deere lovers are made

When it really comes down to it do we love our tractors because we grew up with them and do not know any better, I am just putting it out there

We had a 4430 then 2 4640 then 4755 4440 4630 8650 all I learned is there over priced high maintenance junk I’d rather have a white

• Like 2

I own both. My Deere is my work tractor. Heck I even have the Deere hat and hoodie too. I love the history of the IH company. It WAS a better company, and I'd probably own modern IH stuff if it wasn't foreign owned and so much foreign content.

Save the "your Deere is quite foreign too" comments. I know, and I agonized over it and I bought the "most American" 50HP tractor I could, with the information that was available. I will say though, I hate hate HATE that stupid green paint markup. It's almost enough to make me reconsider, if it weren't for the jobs involved.

Worst part about it I think we will get to the phase of the throw away tractor, I remember when I was a mechanic over 20 years ago we use to repair everything, now everything is a throw away component so much for minimising land waste.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, Thesd5488 said:

We had a 4430 then 2 4640 then 4755 4440 4630 8650 all I learned is there over priced high maintenance junk I’d rather have a white

I grew up in the back of a 1486 and occasionally a 3588. Most of what I remember is sitting in the middle of the field waiting for somebody to come fix whatever else broke that day. That's why I farm with a 4640.

19 minutes ago, Indy Farmer said:

I grew up in the back of a 1486 and occasionally a 3588. Most of what I remember is sitting in the middle of the field waiting for somebody to come fix whatever else broke that day. That's why I farm with a 4640.

Ouch I grew up on M's and 560's My dad farmed with IH equipment for 50 yrs and I did also until it came to a point where the IH dealers went outta business and John Deere was  8 miles down the road Had to make a business decission  then

Grew up running the H and M. Worked for a farmer who had 806 and 4020 the 806 seem to outwork the 4020 IMO I always treid to run the 806. I now own that very same 806 that I ran as a teenager. It's still going strong engine has been rebuilt once.

11 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Worst part about it I think we will get to the phase of the throw away tractor, I remember when I was a mechanic over 20 years ago we use to repair everything, now everything is a throw away component so much for minimising land waste.

Times change. It's really a numbers game. Good example is carburetors. The flat rate gave 8 hours remove, tear down, rebuild, replace and adjust a later Rochester Quadrajet. When shop rates were 15 bucks and hour that was reasonable and the shop could compete with the price of a reman. When shop rates hit about 40 an hour it flipped. Flat rate only gave an hour to R&I That carb.  So 40X8=320. 150carb+40 R&I=190. LAst time I looked the area shop rates were 60 an hour and the Quadrajunk was 200.  And that's how the game is played. Plus the shop gets markup on the parts so either way they make money.

Now what's thrown away? Metal is sent to recycling. Or on components to re-builders.

Rick