pt756

cold cut saws?

how are these cold cut saws? is Milwaukee the only one that makes them. can it cut 4 inch iron? friend has one really likes it. all we have is a 14 inch cut off saw hard to cut angles sometimes. thanks

Never tried a coldcut saw but I did cut 2 X 2 10 gauge square tube with my trusty old Milwaukee 7.25" screw  drive framing saw.  The new blade was listed to cut steel, so I decided to try it. Used it to cut 12" out of the frame of a vice bench/table to make a 36" into a 24" . 

The big heavy saw and blade easily cut the material.  The chips come out very hot at high speed, with proper face and body shielding all went well. 

After the job, the saw teeth still looked fine and none were gone.  Anyway the blade was around $10. at lowes.

The circular bladed saw metal cutting saw  has been around for years from companies like DAKE but very expensive.

Harbor freight and Northern tool did have an import version.

Yep the grind-off cutters are a mess but better than a manual hacksaw.

We have had a Milwaukee for a few years now I have cut 1” thick with it no problems at all it’s most happy under 1/2” but will cut the thick stuff 

Got one at work think it will cut 2” love to have one. Cordless portiband also very handy

SON bought an Evolution brand RAGE 2 cold cutting chop saw.  He did one little project, called me and convinced me I needed one.  They were $199 at Menards about 3 to 3-1/2 years ago.  They are a 15A 14 inch blade saw with angling vice.  You need full face shield, and ear phones for hot razor sharp chips instead of noise.

Evolution is a British company,  think the newer saws are made in China,  but their US office is about a stones throw north of Interstate 80 just east of the Northwest Blvd exit 2 miles west of the Rt 61 exit.  Parts and repairs handled out of that building, with sales & distribution.  Do a search, they have a good website.

They make several different saws, even one similar to the Milwaukee saw shown on Successful Farming TV.

SON bought 24 ft of 1-1/2" by 1/8" angle iron today, had to cut it into 15-1/2" lengths, 18 cuts, took about  5 minutes.  It cuts 2"x4" x 1/4" wall rectangular tubing as fast as my Delta 14" miter saw cuts 2x4's.

I use a Dewalt saw with Evolution blades. I cut a lot of steel. Have a guy sharpen the blades, as long as I don't chip a tooth he can sharpen them 6-7 times.

33 minutes ago, Finney said:

I use a Dewalt saw with Evolution blades. I cut a lot of steel. Have a guy sharpen the blades, as long as I don't chip a tooth he can sharpen them 6-7 times.

You Dewalt is a standard metal chop saw?  I thought cold cut blades had to be run slower than abrasive blade.

59 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

It cuts 2"x4" x 1/4" wall rectangular tubing as fast as my Delta 14" miter saw cuts 2x4's.

So basically you just let it down and it goes right through?   That's pretty impressive to me.

does dewalt make one? all I have seen was a Milwaukee. thanks for replies. and is the Milwaukee only one diameter?

Makita also makes a 14" chop saw.  I use a Milwaukee all the time for cutting rod, angle and flat bar.

10 hours ago, ray54 said:

You Dewalt is a standard metal chop saw?  I thought cold cut blades had to be run slower than abrasive blade.

Yes mine is a cold cut running the lower RPM

A supplier I did a LOT of business with at my last job had two CNC cold saws in another building than their machine shop,  they bought semi-truck loads of bundles of aluminum tubing, about 1 inch or 1-1/4 inch OD and quarter inch wall,  was part of a rear view mirror for some auto company.  His job was to turn 20 ft random tubes into 3 or 4 inch long tubes.  Both machines had bar feeders,  lay 15-20 bars in the trough and it lets one bar into the machine and starts making cuts. About two days after the long bars were delivered the bar supplier came back to pick up all the cut pieces. They ran those machines two 8 hr shifts and he had most of his machines equipped to run "Lights Out" on 3rd shift,  fill up all the bar feeders and let them run, lock the doors and go home.  First guy into the building next morning makes coffee and starts refilling bar feeders.

Hey,  the Guy owned his own island in the Caribbean and a summer house on Washington Island,  he was doing something, most things in fact, Right.

I bought a Rage Hand held cold saw after seeing my buddy use his Makita on some steel we were cutting for my weight brackets. I'd never seen anything like that. 1/4" steel, just cut right through, just have to make damn sure it's clamped down really good. I later bought the 14" Rage from Menards too. I don't do a lot of metal working, but when I do, it's really nice to use these, since they make clean cuts. I hate torch cuts. The other must have that I finally bought is a magnetic drill press. There again, not used a lot, but when I need it, man am I glad I bought one! The annular cutters are sure sweet for poking larger holes in steel. I've used them in the floor mounted drill press too. So Dr, you're saying Rage/Evolution is right in Davenport Iowa? Cool!

Have a chop saw and a skil saw type, they are my go to cutting tools for steel. I have all but abandoned using abrasive cut off saws and have no regrets about it.  But they do need ear plugs and eye protection, chips flying everywhere 

they are intended for a different RPM than the abrasive saws, but the saws are cheap, it’s the blades that cost money

18 hours ago, Injpumped said:

So Dr, you're saying Rage/Evolution is right in Davenport Iowa? Cool!

Yep, on I-80 at the Northwest Blvd exit,  where ALL the truckstops in the Quad-Cities are,  soon as you get on the west bound exit ramp, Evolution is right there on your right.  Have to turn right onto Northwest Blvd at the light and turn right onto the service road.

STEVE C. -  The 14 inch Evolution blades are $63 to $108 each,  I try not to force them into a cut,  same way I do with my Delta miter saw.  Cutting a 2x4 takes 3-4 seconds.

Dad gave me his DeWalt 14 inch abrasive chop saw. I've never used it.  I bought a used imported 4"x6" bandsaw about 35-40 years ago, it's a "No Name" brand, but they are all the same.  It Never cut square, I'd have to leave an eighth inch of extra material on 1"x1" square tubing to sand it square and to length,  and mitering cuts were never close to accurate.  With the Evolution you can make accurate straight or miter cuts right to size, accurate length and angles, burr free ready to clamp up and weld.  

The thing I think the cordless saws would be great for, when I buy steel I always buy extra especially angle iron,  when I get a 20 ft random a little too much stuck out of my old 8 ft box, I could fit a 10 footer corner to corner,  but my new 6-1/3 ft box I'd have to cut a 20 ft piece into 3 pcs.  I always shop the drops rack, small odd pieces.  But being able to buzz long pieces down to haul home would be nice.  My steel guy charges a Buck a cut unless I buy a L-O-T of steel.

Place I worked at in Moline,  recently torn down for the new I-74 bridge across the Mississippi River,   we had a Do-ALL 9x16 bandsaw we cut annealed steel castings that were up to 4 inches thick by the full 16 inches wide.

We used a variable pitch blade, 6-8 TPI,  made quick work of those cuts.  Saw had coolant.

13 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

If you need to cut metal at accurate angles this is the answer, I paid $800 for it used about 15 years ago.

FB_IMG_1540167316514.jpg

That is a real good saw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Yep, on I-80 at the Northwest Blvd exit,  where ALL the truckstops in the Quad-Cities are,  soon as you get on the west bound exit ramp, Evolution is right there on your right.  Have to turn right onto Northwest Blvd at the light and turn right onto the service road.

STEVE C. -  The 14 inch Evolution blades are $63 to $108 each,  I try not to force them into a cut,  same way I do with my Delta miter saw.  Cutting a 2x4 takes 3-4 seconds.

Dad gave me his DeWalt 14 inch abrasive chop saw. I've never used it.  I bought a used imported 4"x6" bandsaw about 35-40 years ago, it's a "No Name" brand, but they are all the same.  It Never cut square, I'd have to leave an eighth inch of extra material on 1"x1" square tubing to sand it square and to length,  and mitering cuts were never close to accurate.  With the Evolution you can make accurate straight or miter cuts right to size, accurate length and angles, burr free ready to clamp up and weld.  

The thing I think the cordless saws would be great for, when I buy steel I always buy extra especially angle iron,  when I get a 20 ft random a little too much stuck out of my old 8 ft box, I could fit a 10 footer corner to corner,  but my new 6-1/3 ft box I'd have to cut a 20 ft piece into 3 pcs.  I always shop the drops rack, small odd pieces.  But being able to buzz long pieces down to haul home would be nice.  My steel guy charges a Buck a cut unless I buy a L-O-T of steel.

Place I worked at in Moline,  recently torn down for the new I-74 bridge across the Mississippi River,   we had a Do-ALL 9x16 bandsaw we cut annealed steel castings that were up to 4 inches thick by the full 16 inches wide.

We used a variable pitch blade, 6-8 TPI,  made quick work of those cuts.  Saw had coolant.

My steel guy charges 10 a cut, unless it's cut in half to haul home.

I've had several times the whole piece cut in half was cheaper than the cut and piece I need.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mader656 said:

My steel guy charges 10 a cut, unless it's cut in half to haul home.

I've had several times the whole piece cut in half was cheaper than the cut and piece I need.

Good grief.  That’s expensive.  

6 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Good grief.  That’s expensive.  

Almost always buy a whole stick anymore.

20 hours ago, mader656 said:

Almost always buy a whole stick anymore.

X2. I have a steel rack and prefer to have enough for an emergency repair. I have to order for a fabrication job and like to have slightly left over. We are stocking a little plate that we didn't used to because my cousin has a tracer torch at our shop I use to save money on easier things to cut. We just made two bottom plates for the manaur pumps rather than buying them . I have a metal devil saw, I have only used it for sheet metal and not tubing yet. We also have a Stihl 14" chop saw we rarely use , bunch of 6" angle grinders that we use cutoff disks , grinders, or wire wheels on and a junk/cuts crooked grizzly bandsaw. 

IMG_20181023_065322674.jpg

IMG_20181023_065330246.jpg

IMG_20181023_065336019.jpg

IMG_20181023_065407197.jpg

IMG_20181023_065421514.jpg

IMG_20181023_065452172.jpg

• Thanks 1

Another company that makes them is "Trajan." They seem to have a lot of youtube makers using their products.

What really intrigued me about their products is their line of "bandsaw chop saws."

BITTY - It's tough keeping a steel storage rack organized isn't it!  I made 4 angle iron  shelves to lay longer pieces of flats, tubing, angle iron, channels, with 4+ ft under them to lean sheets of steel under them,  could store up to 12 ft randoms.  The ONLY steel source around town is only about 6-8 miles from home,  I could haul 12 footers with the tailgate up and clip on a red flag with a vice-grip.  The racks now have steel, wood, jumper cables, some steel cables I made for a special project, and a dozen or more v-belts.

MADER656 - I normally buy whole sticks too,  or search the racks for drops, pieces left by others.  I was rebuilding the latch on the bucket trip mechanism on the SH 10 yrs ago,  I found a 22 inch long piece of 2"×2" cold rolled square bar I needed. I still have about 10-12 inches left of that piece but it was about $2 an Inch when I bought it, I only use it for "Special projects".

About 19-20 years ago I called the fabricator for most of our weldments at the machine tool company I worked for,  asked if he sold steel to employees, "What do ya Need?",  I read off my list and he said WOW!  I was building my lawn vacuum.  I even made the swiveling caster wheel to support the blower & engine.  There was over 100 ft of angle iron, couple 4x8 sheets of 14 ga sheet,  some thicker plate, up to 1/4".  Over 500#,  tried to keep it simple as possible. Total cost was less than $150.  I didn't have my plasma cutter then,  everything was cut with my bandsaw or saber saw,  a cheap home-owners Rockwell I bought 25 years before. It would get so hot cutting some of the parts I had to use welding gloves to hold the saw.  It finally died,  a mercy killing actually, with only inchs of cutting left to finish the project. I used my good Skil saber saw to finish.

That $10/cut is just crazy.  Sure could justify a cordless cold saw in a hurry!