Sign in to follow this  
mikem

Anybody need a "West-coaster"?

At first I thought you were referring to a Bostrom West Coaster seat. I don't believe I've ever seen that type of IH truck, probably were few of them in this part of the country. Would make a nice truck once restored.

DWF

I need it but the cost of the divorce on top of the cost of the truck puts it out of my price range.

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is a neat looking old truck

I tried! caught your post at 3 minutes till close.  I chased for a while and thought I was on at 3K but misread the panel.

Probably a good thing;  but that is a super rare cab and it was used on several other manufacturer's of trucks. If as solid as it looks the cab was worth 6k easy.

thanks for posting got my adrenaline up anyway!

1 hour ago, Ed Leaman said:

I tried! caught your post at 3 minutes till close.  I chased for a while and thought I was on at 3K but misread the panel.

Probably a good thing;  but that is a super rare cab and it was used on several other manufacturer's of trucks. If as solid as it looks the cab was worth 6k easy.

thanks for posting got my adrenaline up anyway!

Ed i was going to call you. right down your alley

Sold for $3000

Mike

Mr. Porter,  If I had won you were going to be the next call because I would have needed storage and a good cover story until I broke the news to Leah!  But I sure wish I had known about it a few days ago. I have plans for one like it if I ever get it bought.

I have only seen one other like it.  I traded a tractor for it in Hanford Ca. and sold it to Mr. Bill Skinner from Wisconsin.  (Skinner Transport) He showed it at Walcott Ia. without repainting it and won some sort of first place with it. I was told he later made a show truck out of it and it went into his museum.  i am not sure what became of his collection of trucks.  West Coasters are not easy to find but are still out there;  but the ones with a bunk and no rust are RARE!   Please keep your eyes open out there in the dry country!

I would love to find a Diamond T  or Auto Car with that cab for same project.

ed

stay in touch!

I am not sure that Auto car did either.  Was told by a collector that they did. I do remember seeing a very similar bunk type cab on another brand or two. Wonder if anyone on here bought the Coaster

The other truck I want to find is a Transtar 4090 or the earlier 4070 version with a factory V-12

Hendrickson used that cab also local trucker had 2 Henrys like that  back in the 60s.

I think I am correct in this next statement and if not would be glad to be corrected.  But  the truck on the auction that was a Model 305  instead of the more common 405,  and it had a setback front axle. I am assuming that may have had something to do with the model number.  I never saw a set back front axle with the bunk type cab.

The Coasters that we have bought, sold and seen in my lifetime were all 405's  if my memory is correct, and had the longer wheel base. Were a much prettier truck than the setback version in my opinion.

For those of you out of central Iowa. There was or is  a company called Smithway Transport. Not sure if they are still around or not;  but I sold the owner there a 1962 West coaster in the early 90's that had 275,000 original miles, Was a left over and the last one of those trucks sold out of the West Coast IH truck division and was very very nice. We bought it from two Japanese vegetable farmers from the Selma Ca. area that had it from new (said they bought it in 1964 as a leftover) and hauled their own produce to the markets in Salinas and San Jose.  Not sure what ever happened to that truck but when we delivered it to Iowa there was a brand new 475 Twin turboed 855 Cummins setting there in a crate to go in it.  I did see a documentary type program on TV about the Walcott Iowa Truck Jamboree  ( i think that is what they call it)  that panned past a West coaster that looked better than new, with a huge bunk and a most beautiful maroon paint on it. Often wondered if it was the same truck. Has anyone seen a truck like that around central Iowa?

3 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

I think I am correct in this next statement and if not would be glad to be corrected.  But  the truck on the auction that was a Model 305  instead of the more common 405,  and it had a setback front axle. I am assuming that may have had something to do with the model number.  I never saw a set back front axle with the bunk type cab.

The Coasters that we have bought, sold and seen in my lifetime were all 405's  if my memory is correct, and had the longer wheel base. Were a much prettier truck than the setback version in my opinion.

For those of you out of central Iowa. There was or is  a company called Smithway Transport. Not sure if they are still around or not;  but I sold the owner there a 1962 West coaster in the early 90's that had 275,000 original miles, Was a left over and the last one of those trucks sold out of the West Coast IH truck division and was very very nice. We bought it from two Japanese vegetable farmers from the Selma Ca. area that had it from new (said they bought it in 1964 as a leftover) and hauled their own produce to the markets in Salinas and San Jose.  Not sure what ever happened to that truck but when we delivered it to Iowa there was a brand new 475 Twin turboed 855 Cummins setting there in a crate to go in it.  I did see a documentary type program on TV about the Walcott Iowa Truck Jamboree  ( i think that is what they call it)  that panned past a West coaster that looked better than new, with a huge bunk and a most beautiful maroon paint on it. Often wondered if it was the same truck. Has anyone seen a truck like that around central Iowa?

There's a trucking company I think around Ottumwa Iowa that has one but I can't recall the name.I have seen it at some shows ,last time was at Old Threshers in Mt. Pleasant Iowa.

Thanks, I might just look them up its been at least 22 years ago that I sold it to Smithway.  The man I sold to may be gone by now but would love to have a look at it.

thanks

ed

Some very cool stuff on that sale!