Sign in to follow this  
KWRB

Strange M-TA Front End

Take a look at this. I'm not an expert in M-TA's, but this looks unique. Take a look at how far forward this front end is. Can anyone she'd any light on that?

00K0K_iDukzvXqHeZ_600x450.jpg

6 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Take a look at this. I'm not an expert in M-TA's, but this looks unique. Take a look at how far forward this front end is. Can anyone she'd any light on that?

00K0K_iDukzvXqHeZ_600x450.jpg

A regular m factory front end they were made to be forward like that or the more common rear position. We had a early m here that had a cast middle part which carried over from f20 days

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

A regular m factory front end they were made to be forward like that or the more common rear position. We had a early m here that had a cast middle part which carried over from f20 days

I understand that to mean the fronts could be set forward like in this photo, or up close to the bolster? What's the point?

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I understand that to mean the fronts could be set forward like in this photo, or up close to the bolster? What's the point?

Probably longer wheel base for better ride. Short or normal wheel base for cultivators or what ever fit on front

Don't know if its the case on this one but IH  furnished that wide front attachment  for use on a SMTA with a beet harvester and maybe a few other things. Needed to be more forward than the new type wide front SMTA attachment to work with certain machine. Didn't think to say IH called that a adjustable wheel base wide front and used it on previous tractors before it was replaced by the non adjustable wheel base type. Dave

• Like 1

If you look close the frt wheels are the old style non-adjustable clamp-on style, not the adjustable tread style like came standard on an SM-TA.  Tends to make me think that WFE was added afterwards.  But anyway,  one sharp well preserved SM-TA,  only thing I see wrong is the missing IH emblem on the top of the grill.

Wish I had even the slightest clue where to begin looking for Dad's old SM-TA.  Last known location was traded at Westbay Equipment in Galesburg, Ill in April 1965 for a 450.  Still had factory installed GY 12-38 rear tires,  grill painted white like a 350/450.

I thought that MTA used the new type wide front with the tie rods behind the axel.

5 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

If you look close the frt wheels are the old style non-adjustable clamp-on style, not the adjustable tread style like came standard on an SM-TA.  Tends to make me think that WFE was added afterwards.  But anyway,  one sharp well preserved SM-TA,  only thing I see wrong is the missing IH emblem on the top of the grill.

Wish I had even the slightest clue where to begin looking for Dad's old SM-TA.  Last known location was traded at Westbay Equipment in Galesburg, Ill in April 1965 for a 450.  Still had factory installed GY 12-38 rear tires,  grill painted white like a 350/450.

Hard to say what time period the wide front came from now. Standard SMTA wheels wouldn't have worked. Those  wide fronts used H or SH front wheels. Dave

1 hour ago, schoolman said:

I thought that MTA used the new type wide front with the tie rods behind the axel.

Yes they did use the one with tie rods to rear but there was still some uses for the old type. Picture of attachment number for adjustable wheel base wide front during SMTA production. Think I read somewhere that one use was for a certain type bean harvester but couldn't find it now, so could be wrong on attachments used for. Dave

DSCN1822.JPG

On 10/14/2018 at 1:31 PM, DWV said:

Yes they did use the one with tie rods to rear but there was still some uses for the old type. Picture of attachment number for adjustable wheel base wide front during SMTA production. Think I read somewhere that one use was for a certain type bean harvester but couldn't find it now, so could be wrong on attachments used for. Dave

DSCN1822.JPG

Dave, most likely that extended wide front was for use with a beet harvester. They needed a long wheel base and also required a longer right axle using a axle extension.