Sign in to follow this  
ZachGrant

Bi-rotor combine to be auctioned.

https://www.agriculture.com/news/machinery/original-bi-rotor-combine-to-sell-at-auction

I'm sure many of you are somewhat familiar with the bi-rotor combine a kansas farmer built in the 90s. It was featured in farmshow magazine. The inventor passed away last year and now they're having an estate auction. It's a very cool concept that would have been neat to see produced.

• Like 1

Didn't Deere buy the patent rights, if for no other reason, to keep someone else from building it

19 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Didn't Deere buy the patent rights, if for no other reason, to keep someone else from building it

that's exactly what I was thinking and going to ask  

Yeah they did. Probably introduce it in 10 years as a "groundbreaking never done before innovation"

1 hour ago, cougar766 said:

that's exactly what I was thinking and going to ask  

John Deere only bought some of the Patent Rights. Caterpillar held some. Most of the Patents ran out years ago.  The Versatile combine is close to what they wanted to build. Been to there farm several times. Nothing Fancy.  I'm a few miles from their farm today at a family deal and If I get time I want to go and see the stuff one last time. They built a self propelled augar wagon, sprayer and a couple other things over the years.  Afraid some stuff is just going to get scrapped. 

29 minutes ago, RKO said:

John Deere only bought some of the Patent Rights. Caterpillar held some. Most of the Patents ran out years ago.  The Versatile combine is close to what they wanted to build. Been to there farm several times.

That’s what I was thinking about the patents. The fact that none of the majors has introduced the bi rotor concept tells me it’s not all revolutionary.

That rotor design is basically the same as the stationary green pea viners and the later pea combines used dating from the pre-WWII era.