vtfireman85

What’s so special about a Henry Rifle

Never owned one but friends rave about them. I’ve never been impressed with the Winchester saddle guns and that’s what they look like to me 

i prefer the solid top design of the marlin receiver, but that's just how I was raised.  At one time my dad had a rather extensive Marlin collection.  The ability to mount a scope on top of the receiver rather than set off to the side is nice.  I'm not sure how the Henrys are made, the winchesters have an open top receiver.

56 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Never owned one but friends rave about them. I’ve never been impressed with the Winchester saddle guns and that’s what they look like to me 

I thought the Henry rifles were more hands on manufacturing than others? I’ve heard the quality is outstanding, but Idk.

I would buy one if for no other reason it’s a Henry

20 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I thought the Henry rifles were more hands on manufacturing than others? I’ve heard the quality is outstanding, but Idk.

I would buy one if for no other reason it’s a Henry

I’m tempted to order one just to have a look, I’m sure it’d sell, everyone rattles on about them. I’m afraid I’ll want to keep it for myself though.

Im going to shoot my friends .17 this weekend, I’ll decide after that. I’d be after a .22 anyway 

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’m tempted to order one just to have a look, I’m sure it’d sell, everyone rattles on about them. I’m afraid I’ll want to keep it for myself though.

Im going to shoot my friends .17 this weekend, I’ll decide after that. I’d be after a .22 anyway 

Did you get your dealer license, or have you applied for it yet?

Post some pictures of the rifle!

2 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Did you get your dealer license, or have you applied for it yet?

Post some pictures of the rifle!

Yes I got it, I’ve done a couple transfers and have sold a couple guns. Not really stocking anything 

• Like 1

I like the Henry "Mare's Leg"!

2 hours ago, Adam - NC said:

i prefer the solid top design of the marlin receiver, but that's just how I was raised.  At one time my dad had a rather extensive Marlin collection.  The ability to mount a scope on top of the receiver rather than set off to the side is nice.  I'm not sure how the Henrys are made, the winchesters have an open top receiver.

I agree. Marlin (or at least Marlin before Remington bought them) is a nicer gun. Remlins are ok but quality is down. A Henry .22 vs a Marlin 39A or 39M for an apples to apples comparison is no question a win for the Marlin. Winchester did make some "AE" rifles with a solid top but if you were doing a torture test I feel like Marlin would walk away with it. I own or have shot all three considerably and while the Henry isn't a bad gun by any means, it isn't in the same league as a Marlin.

Price point would favor Henry rifles. 

They are "American Made"!

I hunted squirrels with a bottowed Marlin 39 a couple of years ago, but iron sights in the brush just didn't cut it.  If I'm gonna shoot with a scope I'd rather have a bolt or auto.

To me, the best thing about a lever gun is the carrying.  You can wrap your hand around the receiver and it just goes along with you like it's attached.  I don't get excited about deer hunting any more, but when I did I liked to walk 'em up.  I hate sitting in a stand when I can be walking real slow, two or three steps at a time, in the brush or tall grass and jumping them in the middle of the day.  That's when I like a lever gun.

Always thought I'd like to have a Savage 99, though.  Not sure why, just think they're really cool.

20 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I hunted squirrels with a bottowed Marlin 39 a couple of years ago, but iron sights in the brush just didn't cut it.  If I'm gonna shoot with a scope I'd rather have a bolt or auto.

To me, the best thing about a lever gun is the carrying.  You can wrap your hand around the receiver and it just goes along with you like it's attached.  I don't get excited about deer hunting any more, but when I did I liked to walk 'em up.  I hate sitting in a stand when I can be walking real slow, two or three steps at a time, in the brush or tall grass and jumping them in the middle of the day.  That's when I like a lever gun.

Always thought I'd like to have a Savage 99, though.  Not sure why, just think they're really cool.

I have a collection of Savage 99s IMO they are the finest lever action ever made, others may argue but my opinion is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar. they are tight, accurate and ergonomically correct, I also feel that they have an aesthetic advantage over all other levers I have seen. I hunt with a savage model 99F in .308 that belonged to my grandfather, he bought it in the 60's used. also in the collection is a 99 30-30 carbine, and a model 1899 303 savage, I am currently seeking a takedown chambered in 243 and an 1899 chambered in 300 savage. my great uncle had an 1899 in 300 savage and when dad was charged to dispense with his estate he had to "sell" everything. the 300 wasn't of huge interest to him so he let it go with other stuff. needless to say I was disappointed years later to learn this. 

both my grandfather and great uncle worked for Remington arms pre to post WW2 oddly enough however I only have 1 Remington and would only ever want 1 other. I have gramps fieldmaster .22 pump, which is a blast to shoot. I would very much like another new one which I would scope. otherwise Remington guns have never really done it for me. uncle Ralph ( the afore mentioned great uncle) was a competition handgun shooter, he had a .22 target pistol he was quite proud of, we don't know what ever happened to it, he was living in a rented apartment at the time of his death and it among a few other things were never found. I believe it to have been a Ruger Mark XX?

long winded way of saying GO GET A SAVAGE 99! you will not regret it. 

I have a Henry in 357mag. It's my brush gun for deer. I like it.

Rick 

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have a collection of Savage 99s IMO they are the finest lever action ever made, others may argue but my opinion is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar. they are tight, accurate and ergonomically correct, I also feel that they have an aesthetic advantage over all other levers I have seen. I hunt with a savage model 99F in .308 that belonged to my grandfather, he bought it in the 60's used. also in the collection is a 99 30-30 carbine, and a model 1899 303 savage, I am currently seeking a takedown chambered in 243 and an 1899 chambered in 300 savage. my great uncle had an 1899 in 300 savage and when dad was charged to dispense with his estate he had to "sell" everything. the 300 wasn't of huge interest to him so he let it go with other stuff. needless to say I was disappointed years later to learn this. 

both my grandfather and great uncle worked for Remington arms pre to post WW2 oddly enough however I only have 1 Remington and would only ever want 1 other. I have gramps fieldmaster .22 pump, which is a blast to shoot. I would very much like another new one which I would scope. otherwise Remington guns have never really done it for me. uncle Ralph ( the afore mentioned great uncle) was a competition handgun shooter, he had a .22 target pistol he was quite proud of, we don't know what ever happened to it, he was living in a rented apartment at the time of his death and it among a few other things were never found. I believe it to have been a Ruger Mark XX?

long winded way of saying GO GET A SAVAGE 99! you will not regret it. 

The 99 is very respectable.  I always found them to handle a bit clunky but that is only my opinion. The only ones I have ever been around were in 300 Savage. A nice shooting round that is comparable to a 30-30 IMO but never gained popularity with other manufacturers. 

A lever gun is hard to beat in brush. I like iron sights on mine personally. 

2 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I have a Henry in 357mag. It's my brush gun for deer. I like it.

Rick 

I always thought a Marlin in .44 mag would make a good brush gun, but never got around to getting one.  Can you compare the Henry to the Marlin?

When New York state opened up deer hunting to the use of rifles in the southern tier, I went looking for a lever action 30/30.  I found they were in hot demand [mostly brush hunting in my area].  I looked at new ones---JUNK--- I finally found a Marlin in 35 Rem---checked the serial number--it was made in the late 1940's.   What a sweet rifle it is---functions as smooth as silk. Never have handled a Henry--but it would surprise me if they could match the craftsman ship of this 70yr old rifle. 

11 minutes ago, Eric V Bielke said:

When New York state opened up deer hunting to the use of rifles in the southern tier, I went looking for a lever action 30/30.  I found they were in hot demand [mostly brush hunting in my area].  I looked at new ones---JUNK--- I finally found a Marlin in 35 Rem---checked the serial number--it was made in the late 1940's.   What a sweet rifle it is---functions as smooth as silk. Never have handled a Henry--but it would surprise me if they could match the craftsman ship of this 70yr old rifle. 

It is allegedly outstanding, I'll report back this weekend

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

I always thought a Marlin in .44 mag would make a good brush gun, but never got around to getting one.  Can you compare the Henry to the Marlin?

I haven't fired a Marlin in 357 in 30 or so years. So no, I really can't say.

Rick

18 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I haven't fired a Marlin in 357 in 30 or so years. So no, I really can't say.

Rick

I've got one that was Grandpa's. It is good with irons out to 100yds pretty easy. I haven't shot a Henry in .357 for a side by side comparison. Mine is probably an 80's vintage.  I feel like almost any of the older ones have a better fit and finish than the new ones no matter what brand of any type of gun save some higher end customs. 

Henry is an easy sell, American made, good quality, craftsmanship and fitment. They cycle smooth and shoot very well. The customers of mine don't own just one Henry, they come back for another and some, I've lost count. From .17HMR to .45-70 all are excellent firearms. The .45 Long Colt and .45-70 that we had here last weekend shot very small groups at 235 yds with open sights. If I would have been shooting at a deer, it would have been meat in the freezer. I'm not really a LA man myself (I do have a few, just because) but I respect and can appreciate these rifles.   

7 hours ago, Eric V Bielke said:

..the old Marlin firearms are beautifully   crafted....they were available in a bunch of different bbl  styles /mag  capacity/  stock style etc   probably more variations than their  main lever competitor on the day....

Some of my humble Marlin collection.....plus one for vtfireman !

Mike

gun room 3.png

gun room 5.png

• Like 4

That sure is a nice collection you have there! My Dad had a Savage 99 take down in 30-30. My grandpa had one in 22 Hi-Power. They loved them Savages! Henry is now making a single shot rifle I'll be looking for as I love single shots.

I have a .22 Golden Boy. It's an extremely well built rifle. The polished brass and dark walnut furniture is very classy,

2 hours ago, mike_newman said:

..the old Marlin firearms are beautifully   crafted....they were available in a bunch of different bbl  styles /mag  capacity/  stock style etc   probably more variations than their  main lever competitor on the day....

Some of my humble Marlin collection.....plus one for vtfireman !

Mike

gun room 3.png

gun room 5.png

wow thats a heck of a collection! whats the third 99 down? I like that stock

I think Henry is selling steak and sizzle where other gun companies are just selling steak.

11 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I think Henry is selling steak and sizzle where other gun companies are just selling steak.

They must be doing something right, they sell left and right