mader656

What do you know? Michigan wheel loader

Well the price was. Right (free) it's coming home tomorrow owner says it road that far just take all day. 

Know very little else what do I need to check

2810.jpeg

• Like 1

WOW that's an old one. last one I ran was 5 yard one don't remember the model #.

Wish someone would give me a running loader like that!

Rick

57 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Free means there's something wrong with it?

It has a screaming Jimmy in it.... We used to have one like that or very similar. Was a model 175 if I remember correctly. Doesn't steer very sharp but if you are man enough to run it you can accomplish something. 

Buy some really good ear plugs/protection

9 minutes ago, bitty said:

It has a screaming Jimmy in it.... We used to have one like that or very similar. Was a model 175 if I remember correctly. Doesn't steer very sharp but if you are man enough to run it you can accomplish something. 

Buy some really good ear plugs/protection

Guy thought I had a Cummins...

well the cummins will make your ears hurt the screaming jimmy will make your fillings fall out

• Haha 2

Put a heat houser or a cab on it . Use it to move snow this winter.😎

I see it's a Detroit...

Jimmys are near bulletproof and cheap to maintain. Not sure what style brakes but old loaders werent known for quality brakes.

Detroit's run forever,  almost impossible to kill. 🙂

Anyone know travel speed?

I've read about 4x4 shifting and ranges but no idea on speed..

26 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Detroit's run forever,  almost impossible to kill. 🙂

Hard to kill but easy to lug and get to run backwards

6 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Hard to kill but easy to lug and get to run backwards

makes you go faster in reverse though, save time, save money man! set it up like a snowmobile, go just as fast backwards as forwards and really set the world on fire. 

• Haha 1

Just be careful without a cab. I know everybody thinks it is easy to run a loader but they can get squirrelly quick. A kid got killed a few years ago in the area when he tipped an old loader roading it. Michigan soldcout to Volvo so parts should be available from them

Yup 471 Detroit. There's a almost twin to it siting in a local yard here where a guy buys and sells junk.  Guess ya can't go wrong with the price lol. IMG_3916.thumb.JPG.cd54183bf9b6d18b45bb8edfedf2ccc6.JPG

My plan is take it slow to get used to the machine. 

3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

WOW that's an old one. last one I ran was 5 yard one don't remember the model #.

Wish someone would give me a running loader like that!

Rick

X2

Mike

We put a rops from an old ck580 how on ours. Wasn't certified but it at least protected from dumping something on yourself

We had a 275 straight frame with a 8V-71 (318) that was a great old bear.  When moving it any distance we would travel in reverse.  It just plain steered better than going forward.  I do not know if it was just that worn out, or if it is like driving a car in reverse (steering axle trailing) versus driving a car forward (steering axle leading).

Then we got a 275B, articulated with a 400 Cummins.

The one that we had had a bad parking brake (cable operated disk or drum) . Service brakes were air brakes so we put brake chambers on with the spring to apply for parking brake, air to release. The power steering pump was bad and the slave cylinder didn't have any power so we added two hydraulic cylinders and then a steering wheel and column and steering hydraulic motor from a 86 series tractor we had parted out. This gave it hydrostatic power steering. 

Straight frame--means it takes a quarter section to turn around.  We used to have a Case straight frame, moved slow, turned slow but by George if you had traction or could get under it, it moved.  We pushed silage with it for years.  Agree with others , safest way to road it until you are real comfortable with it, is in reverse.  

wow that is old.  I have a series 2 and that was when they moved the loader arms in front of the operator.  That is probably a series one getting in and out over the loader arms is a challenge.  this link if it works it to a place that has dozen of machines.  There is also a place in Washington state or Oregon that has a big assortment of parts, I found them once but shipping was not going to make it practical for getting parts.  Michigan was bought out by Clark first and they jumped around and used a lot of different motors, mine has a Continental gas Flathead 245 CI motor.  As said before they can do a lot of work.  Cabs of this era were not ROPs just weather protection.  Take it easy with it you can very easily get your self into a very scary spot, the rear steer on mine will make pretty sharp turns, it does not do really well with hills and that is where I have found the scary instances.

http://scuttworks.com/

tough old loaders with strong hydraulics. ran an old gasser. think it was a hercules engine. Good deal for you

Fnr lever on steering what is other lever...

4 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Fnr lever on steering what is other lever...

it should be high and low, if I recall up is low and down is high.  cleaning a muck pile out of a pasture I would go into the pile in low, come out of forward into reverse staying in low, when I decided to head for the pile outside of the pasture, I would pause in neutral move into high than move into forward.  mine is clutchless and I tend to pick which I am going to use and stay there.  shifting it between the two really puts a hit to the machine.  you might also have a work and travel lever on the floor.