moeller

IH 784 Tractor stuck in 4 wheel drive

Just bought a used IH 784 and have been using these forums to fix many of the common problems. Hopefully someone here can help me figure out what i have going on with my 4WD. My 4x4 lever flops around within the back half of its travel. When i try to push it forward (into what i believe is 2WD) it feels like it hits a solid stop at the half way point. My linkage is connected properly and the front tires are definitely engaged all the time. I pushed into a dirt pile and i can see that when i start to put a load on the front tires, the clutch that drives them starts to slip and they stop turning even though the back tires are still turning. It is acting like it is stuck half way in 4WD, and i believe this may be the situation? Otherwise the clutch may simply be worn out and possibly the yoke or some other part has broken from the previous owner wrenching on it too hard?

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation? Everything looks easy to get at, is there any trick to pulling the case apart to get in there and see what is going on?

PS, i have the Z-F style front axle, not the KIMCO. The links below show my 4WD linkage and front drive train including the clutch. (They call it the front PTO clutch)

https://www.messicks.com/cas/60177?sectionId=59928&diagramId=60177_375099

https://www.messicks.com/cas/60177?sectionId=59928&diagramId=60177_375088

Thanks in advance for your help.

Update. I just noticed my control lever on the PTO case points towards the rear of the tractor and not the front like in the diagram. I believe the last owner had it adjusted wrong and pulled it all the way to the top and it is now trying to go back down towards the rear of the tractor instead of the front. I will pull it forwards tomorrow and see if this fixes it.

https://www.messicks.com/cas/60177?sectionId=59928&diagramId=60177_375088

Hi there, I think you are on the right track with your linkage being out of adjustment.

As best I can remember the arm (#10) should be pointing forward .

It sounds like the linkage has gone "over centre" and is trying to go back down the other side like you say.

hopefully you can simply take a good sized crescent wrench and quietly pull forward/down on the arm and it should kick forward.(take a little care here as it has quite a kick to it😉.

If you need to adjust free play I the linkage,you loosen the retainer clamp (#60), you should be able to rotate the round hub/boss behind the arm .

you will notice that the hub/boss is an eccentric and that this is what determines the position of the arm and therefore the adjustment of the linkage and where it over-centres or "snaps" in and out of engagement.

my best memory says the arm should be pointing forward as near to horizontal as possible.

this should give the linkage a little "free-play" at both ends of its travel, and you should feel a really positive "snap" or "kick" as the clutch goes over centre.

its been a while since I have worked on one of these so I hope my memory is correct😉.

welcome to the forum , nice to have you on board,...don't be afraid to ask for help , we have a really good bunch of people on here with many many years experience who are more than willing to help each other out so fire at will with the questions and pictures.

Hope this might help,

Heath, NZ

Thanks for the info, i didn't even notice that part 7 hub/boss/housing was adjustable and eccentric. I rotated it back forward today and bent the linkage back into shape best i could. I now have a lot of free play at the bottom, so i will try to adjust that out tomorrow. Right now the 4wd is sort of engaged when i pull the 4wd lever towards the rear of the tractor, and it is somewhat more engaged when i push it to the front of the tractor. My sticker is missing on that lever, does anyone know which direction is 2wd and which is 4wd? Also, i still suspect my clutch is wore out as the tractor has probably been driving the past few years with the linkage cammed over and dragging the clutch.

On mine, you move the lever forward for 4WD & pull it back for 2WD.  The push forward is accomplished with little resistance, however, the pull back takes a bit of muscle power.

Thanks guys. Yes the hand lever is forward for 4wd and to the rear for 2wd. I adjusted the outside hub to just take out all the slack and i now have 2wd with the when i pull the hand lever to the rear. Unfortunately because it was run for so long with it cammed over backwards with the clutches half engaged, my clutches must be worn out as my 4wd is slipping when any sort of a load is put it. The manual my tractor came with must be a cheap one as it doesn't cover the 4wd. Does anyone have a description of how to change the clutches. I have the parts diagram so i will just start taking it apart, hopefully there are not tricks to it or small pieces that will go flying?

Thanks again for you help

On my 784, all the way forward is 4wd. Note that to overcome the 4wd clutch springs, it takes a bit of force to push it forward. It feels like I'm bending a linkage but it's the sensation of getting over center with the springs.  I bet your clutch is fine and you're not engaging the front axle completely.  

I see what you mean, but i have adjusted it so that all the way forward is just where there is no tension on the linkage at all. If i take the linkage right off it simply stays slack and the 4wd is still able to slip under load.