Cross shaft for decompression lever

ūüôĀ¬†I just picked up a few TD 9 ¬†and trying to understand why the throttle and gas/ diesel lever are frozen solid ! I have lubed and oiled but the main cross shaft that passes through the engine is not moving ! I've thought about taking some heat to the bushing areas against the case ¬†, after i peeled off some levers . I have one TD9 that the levers work fine so I can see how they work . Starting to drive me nuts,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.¬†

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

I have soaked valves with atf . I also removed linkage that operates the flapper for intake . No movement on the cross shaft . My other ones even have endplay horizontally. Still scratching my head ! I see in one diagram showing friction discs on the injector side of motor , but i cant get the bell shaped cover off ? Thanks 

is the linkage and dogs on other side of the carb free?  I had trouble with mine on my td6 not staying in gas mode.  and it was due to the rod being seized up.  u can see in the pic it has antisiezew on it

IMG_20180731_205526.thumb.jpg.8132e392049bf157c9334f78ca4d2077.jpg bIMG_20180731_205627.thumb.jpg.967b9ab243f90c2cfac3ecba7d16e3c7.jpg

The friction disc is stuck/rusted 

Thanks for the help guys ! I really appreciate this club . I am swaying towards the friction discs , as everything else linkage wise is removed . Now I have to get that bell shaped unit off ??? It acts like it is hung on something! I don't have a schematic of the unit in my jensales manual that came with these crawlers . I ll keep lubing it and trying to wiggle something.  I have got the throttle arm to move some, but it feels like 2 men & a boy are holding the other end from moving . Thanks again ! I welcome any advice . 

Did you remove all three bolts holding the "bell cover" on? If yes it cold also be frozen onto the cross shaft. 

I did remove three bolts but it pulls away from engine case maybe 1/4 inch only . I don't want to pry on anything because I'm not sure how it should come free . I have used pb blaster every direction around & Under that bell . A real head scratcher. It spins a bit left and right but not away from the case . Thanks 

obviously # 1 -2 have to be removed

then I would try liberal lube low to mild heat on the end ,mild rocking leverage/twist  with small bar/vise grips to # 3  then 5

when it pops free have a safe landing zone

Wow , 2 hrs of heating tapping, prying, rocking side to side finally allowed linkage arm to move and it did come off ! Friction discs stayed in tact until set to soak in a bucket of diesel. With a few raps of a ball pin hammer ūüĒ® and she come apart like a one dollar watch ! After all that the cross shaft is still not turning, but I will start the heat on that later ! Thanks for the help guys!¬†

• 2 weeks later...

Wow My son in-law and I worked for hrs heating , lubing to get little results on freeing the cross shaft that runs through the case finally I got a pipe wrench and twisted it free ! Had to dress up the shaft after the assault with the pipe wrench. Put it all back together and fired it up on gas . Thanks for your help .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys , anyone out there have an idea on flushing out the transmission on this TD 9 ? I had added almost 2 gallons of gear oil to bring it up to the fill mark only to use it abit and checked the level and noticed it was foamy ! Water in it ? Should I just drain it all out and start with new , or flush it with some diesel then refill ? Thanks for your advice 

depends where you live,  let it set several days ,if its not too cold,  put a big drain pan under ,crack the plug about 3 turns, should start to drip out.

the seasons and normal temp change cause this ,cant be helped  but a tarp does

once drip stops drain all  and screen in to pails if a lot of junk in it needs flushed ,you could put 8 gal of fuel in and run around yard for 15 minutes...........let drain 8-24H, then into furnace sprayer or cattle rub....

other wise dip off the pails and leave the last bit to freeze and pull ice out

crack the plug on ALL compartments 2x yr

The flat plate that goes over the steering clutches and transmission has a gasket that likes to leak and it's hard to keep that plate tight. I had these TD-9's when they were fairly new and started keeping a tarp over the back end when not in use. Better for the seat too.

DWF