Good Day, 1992 TD15E with 8.3 cummins. Recently i have found excess oil in the final drives I drained it off and have looked to change the pinion seal. when I pull the final drive off is there bolts that keep the drive from splitting so I remove the unit in one piece?

I have high torque temps and have to allow the unit to cool after a few hrs of operation towing a sloop of approximately 20K lbs. Filters are clean and radiator has good air flow. I have the manuals but can not find pressures for the test ports. I think i should be able to hook up a 24v independent temp gauge to get a more accurate temperature rather than the green go bar.  Any other reasons that can cause a heat issue on the torque are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide

You should move your post or make another one on the Construction Equipment board on this site.

DWF

Make sure your running the correct oil in these and they make some heavy weight synthetic gear lubes .

Danny 

On 10/10/2018 at 7:54 PM, DWF said:

You should move your post or make another one on the Construction Equipment board on this site.

DWF

OK, Just new here and thought this fit, But I will move it thanks.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:55 AM, DirtBoyz07 said:

Make sure your running the correct oil in these and they make some heavy weight synthetic gear lubes .

Danny 

Thanks Danny,

I have reg 80-90 in the finals, and 10w in the transmission. This is on spec. Presently I have pulled of a final drive and for the better part everything looks good for wear. I will reseal the unit and re assemble it.

I have noticed that the shafts I cant spin by hand, I would think the pre-load on the bearings may be too much. should there be end play.

My Father was a retired IH Mechanic and I cant find any rebuild specs in his Library (almost every other manual but TD15E's).

I might have a IH service Manual on that dozer , I would have to check .

Danny