Sign in to follow this  
mader656

Starter question

01 dodge 3\4 Cummins

Yesterday i noticed starter was cranking slow... Thought odd but doors were open thought key on for few hours... But still slow after a 45 minute drive.

Batteries tested at 12.6 each. Isolated after messing with lights for a while. 

14 v running all other accessories work fine

I rebuilt the solenoid about a year ago.

Im thinking brushes or bushing bad?

Test voltage drop when the starter is engaged. Should drop a little but if more than a couple volts might be time for new ones.

Or have them load tested where you buy your batteries. 

Fully charged batteries should test over 13 volts, I would start with normal battery maintenance, clean the terminals, test votlage on them separate, see what you get.  They may get a better charge after a little TLC.  

Then I would check the voltage drop when cranking.  Clean your grounds and connections if it persists, 

9 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Fully charged batteries should test over 13 volts, I would start with normal battery maintenance, clean the terminals, test votlage on them separate, see what you get.  They may get a better charge after a little TLC.  

Then I would check the voltage drop when cranking.  Clean your grounds and connections if it persists, 

AK

I couldn't have said it any better.    Even if both batteries are fully charged the engine will be starting on only one battery, if there is a poor connection or ground  on just one connection.

GT&T

As everyone above has suggested, it's probably electrical. I had a tractor that was still cranking slow even though batteries and connections were secure. It turned out the bushing on the nose of the starter was worn enough that the armature was dragging on field. New bushing = all better.

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

The previous 4 starts had been driven less than 200 feet total then lights were on for a bit working on headlights so it was right were I expected the voltage was tested separate visually the all cables are corrosion free and 4/0.

Years ago on our John Deere 4650 we had a slow cranking problem.  Checking and cleaning connections got us nowhere.  The batteries were getting older so I replaced them.  That didn't change anything.  I took it apart and the brushes were very worn and one or two weren't making contact with the commutator.  After installing new brushes it was good as new.  Paul

It could be starter dragging but it’s a whole lot easier to load test the batteries, check your connections and then go after your starter. Don’t forget to check your grounds on engine/frame.