Birdman

Rotary PTO driven mowers opinions

What is everyone's preferred brand of large mower (brush hog). I have a Bush Hog 2615 legend 15' cutter and I have plenty of power thinking of going to a 20' mower to speed things up. We have pasture and CRP to mow and I find myself cutting a lot of woody crap, some probably larger than should be mowed but I do it anyway. The tougher and larger the cutting capacity the better. I don't know very much about all the brands, I just want something that's tough as **** and doesn't care if I hit a pretty large sprout with it. I think mine is rated to 3" cutting dia. I have cut bigger stuff with it by backing into it and cutting it slowly, mostly cedar trees (like 4-5" size). We get a lot of locust/hedge, cedar, plum, dogwood woody invasives, a lot of blackberry and a lot of serecia lespadeeza. CRP is all native warm season grasses.

Presume your Bush Hog 2615 is a wider  version of my Bush Hog 2610 (10 ft bat wing).

No complaints on my 2610-----do know it's considered an older model now.  Don't really know anything about newer models.

Regardless-------whatever you buy, make sure it has the "stump jumper" on the cutting heads (in addition to swinging blades).

DD

Shulte built like it could mow a brick outhouse... My 10 footer weighs 4700 lbs. Factory has top notch service... This issues I've had with mine have been previous owners(county) lack of maintenance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Presume your Bush Hog 2615 is a wider  version of my Bush Hog 2610 (10 ft bat wing).

No complaints on my 2610-----do know it's considered an older model now.  Don't really know anything about newer models.

Regardless-------whatever you buy, make sure it has the "stump jumper" on the cutting heads (in addition to swinging blades).

DD

I think it is just the wider version. I bought mine well used and abused years ago and since then I have overhauled the gear boxes, new blades, shafts, clutches. Today I ordered a new main drive line for it $1200....

It has been a good mower though and it was wore out when I bought it cheap nearly ten years ago.

Shulte is one tough mower!

I have a landpride built like a brick s-house no complaints But at the end of the day its all how hard your using them too

RHINO

X2.  We have 2 Rhino extra heavy duty mowers at my beagle club. They get the $hit beat out of them, we have had both for 20 years!   This one says it cuts up to 5".

https://www.rhinoag.com/products/rotary-cutters/flex-wing/5000-series-new-flex-wing/#specifications-block

With 30+ years (1970's -mid 2000's) mowing on highway R/W's , I've used Woods, Bush Hog, Ford, Mott , Vicon , Triumph, & Tiger . Woods Batwing mower is my preference for a rotary,  because they use 1/2" cap screw to lock 1 1/2" blade pins and the blades are designed with a drop so they aren't as susceptible to bend in rough conditions.

Hx 20 John Deere with stump jumpers and duel tires on the wings we have great luck out of these been running them since 02 and traded them in every 3 to 4 years but they still have a lot  of life for an average farmer There build heavy and still cut clean. Really all we do is clip pasture any more but back in the beginning we cut everything the decks outer layer some times cracks but there double layer so it  is more of a eye sore. We got one right now pushing 15000 acre's and it cuts just as clean as the new one we bought this spring. Here lately on the new ones Deere has got cheap on the pins for the wing cylinders but other than that ain't much bad I can say about them 

Just now, Rawleigh99 said:

Schulte, if you can afford it!

Just gotta get them at auction...with a bad pto shaft for 15 bucks...

My vote is Rhino I believe. For the $$ it’s a great mower. Shulte is top of the line and what the state uses here and they are tough sob’s. But I can not splurge for that kind of cash so that’s why my vote is Rhino. I have a Woods 10’ and like it but it’s no heavier than a Bushog. 

Of all the ones I have used, I like Rhino........heard Shulte are monsters but never used one.

11 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

We got a 1518? Deere piece of junk twist pto shafts every year

Had good luck with mine few shear bolts and grease nothing else had it ten or so years

Sold my 2 year old John Deere last fall. It was broke down more than than  it was being used. I still have my 10 year old Bush Hog its been a good mower.  I looked at  Woods and Landpride they are ok but  they are built nothing like a Schulte. My Bush Hog  dealer sells Rhino now.  I have a Rhino finsh mower and   not happy with  getting parts for it. So I ended up buying a Schulte. This mower is built. I have a high school kid running it and he has done tires tree stumps fence post and I don't know what all else he has shredded up. Has not hurt it at all. They are not that much more than the other lighter ones but well worth the extra money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've put a lot of hours on a wore out 1518 deere at work. It chews up whatever you put under it. Weak spot on it is driveshafts to the wings. If the slip clutch doesn't slip right away it twists the shaft. Other wise it's been alright. I got to run a fairly new shulte this fall. That's a mower there. Runs so smooth and built heavy. Every ditch mower around is a shulte. A couple degelmans too but I havent looked them

Shulte mow with the other mower till it breaks unhook it then mow the old mower with the shulte. Almost...

but mines got loads of ditch mowing on it and still going strong, beast is the word. The walking back axle rides nice. I parked mine next to a new deere and the deere looked like a toy. 

When I had to fix a previous owner issue...after a bad time with a localish parts dealer I called the corporate to see what was up with the order, the order was never placed....no returned calls. Here's looking at you pioneer west.

But the corporate flagged the order and did all in there power to finally get my parts to me fast...not 3 days later I got a text from the head of parts dept to see if my parts had came. Then they sent me diagrams to help reassemble as it had been apart for 10 months... I have nothing but positive to say about there after sale support for a guy who bought a used mower....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mader656 said:

Shulte mow with the other mower till it breaks unhook it then mow the old mower with the shulte. Almost...

but mines got loads of ditch mowing on it and still going strong, beast is the word. The walking back axle rides nice. I parked mine next to a new deere and the deere looked like a toy. 

When I had to fix a previous owner issue...after a bad time with a localish parts dealer I called the corporate to see what was up with the order, the order was never placed....no returned calls. Here's looking at you pioneer west.

But the corporate flagged the order and did all in there power to finally get my parts to me fast...not 3 days later I got a text from the head of parts dept to see if my parts had came. Then they sent me diagrams to help reassemble as it had been apart for 10 months... I have nothing but positive to say about there after sale support for a guy who bought a used mower....

I have not needed anything yet for my Schulte mower.  But I was not sure what model I should get. Called Schulte and they were great. Guy asked what I was going to do with it and what tractor and they told me what model to look for.  Ended up Saving  me several thousands dollars on what mower to buy. They have called and e-mailed several times to make sure I'm happy with it and make sure dealer treated me right. I asked about getting a Big 1000 PTO  shaft so I could use it on another tractor. And they shipped me a new one at no cost. 

• Thanks 1

Saw one today....

20181013_134142.jpg

20181013_134059.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2018 at 8:41 PM, mader656 said:

Shulte built like it could mow a brick outhouse... My 10 footer weighs 4700 lbs. Factory has top notch service... This issues I've had with mine have been previous owners(county) lack of maintenance.

x2

bought my schulte used a numbers of years ago. the salesmen told me to loosen the driveline clutches every year. i didnt and had to replace a shaft in the 3 way gear box. lesson learned. never had any problems. mowed thousands of acresof sage brush. dealer has been super on the parts. had a wheel bearing go bad and it was greasable. i was greasing it regularly but the hub  held a tube of grease so i wasnt getting enough in it. . whatever mower you buy getthe walking beams  stump jumpers and the solid tires. Schulte are the best mowers by far loke was said in previous posts