Jump to content
iam2

farmall 300U

Recommended Posts

We have a c169 in a 300U partially tore down thinking it has a boogered cam key as it wont run good anywhere we time it. the best spot seems to be way past tdc, like 30 degrees so the forum

talk seems to favor the cam gear being loose on the shaft enough to woller the key.   My question why 4 timing notches and all before tdc and it will only run set at about 30 degrees after tdc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first I would confirm TDC and rotor at 1;00 then plugs wires,gas/dirt etc etc

once opened you will know quick if key/gear.worn...have seen them welded so it does happen,hyd pump can also wear gear,more likely problem is elsewhere  or jumped dist gear from 0 !! grease since NEW!!

someone may have been inside before so confirm TDC mark per fully closed valves,then with front cover off, confirm factory (dots) ALL line up  and the extra ones added by hammer mechanic are for reference

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The distributor was shot, springs stretched and advance was sticking at half way or better, both key ways were good so I went with a new distributor and some new gov parts and am now waiting on gaskets and seals and have opened up the power steering- where can I get seals etc for that? im drawing blanks for stock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another dilemma: ready to back together but no torque setting for the cam or crank, nothing in any of the 8  or so books I have bought or acquired by barter. I just cannot believe nothing at

all in books or floating on the internet either. did find for case and Jd  but nothing on any IH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have encountered more problems and thought sharing might help someone-- my 300U has plastic oil line running to the oil pressure gauge. I bought some 1/8" copper tube and ran it

with new barrel shaped ferrules. Found out from an old IHC mechanic that the barrel shaped tend to collapse the small tube which it did, ok trimmed ends off and installed the cone     shaped ferrules with excellent results, good reading now for oil pressure!

   The carburetor got a complete rebuild kit and a good soaking and blowout. Nothing was right as to float/ gas level  upon reinstall, so I installed a barbed fitting where the drain plug was with some clear plastic line on that so I could seethe fuel level. showed jam full of gas so off we come again, tweaked the floats till they looked like they weren't touching walls of bottom and got out my hand vacuum pump

and checked, turning it upside down and pumping, had to open it up again and tweak  floats some more  till I got good seal on the needle, reinstalled on tractor and runs fine now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...