iam2

farmall 300U

We have a c169 in a 300U partially tore down thinking it has a boogered cam key as it wont run good anywhere we time it. the best spot seems to be way past tdc, like 30 degrees so the forum

talk seems to favor the cam gear being loose on the shaft enough to woller the key.   My question why 4 timing notches and all before tdc and it will only run set at about 30 degrees after tdc.

first I would confirm TDC and rotor at 1;00 then plugs wires,gas/dirt etc etc

once opened you will know quick if key/gear.worn...have seen them welded so it does happen,hyd pump can also wear gear,more likely problem is elsewhere  or jumped dist gear from 0 !! grease since NEW!!

someone may have been inside before so confirm TDC mark per fully closed valves,then with front cover off, confirm factory (dots) ALL line up  and the extra ones added by hammer mechanic are for reference

The distributor was shot, springs stretched and advance was sticking at half way or better, both key ways were good so I went with a new distributor and some new gov parts and am now waiting on gaskets and seals and have opened up the power steering- where can I get seals etc for that? im drawing blanks for stock!