Sign in to follow this  
jimw

old snowblower

saw this a few years ago, bet she could still get her done

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

• Like 2

It says International on the power unit too..........

I wonder what they have in there for an engine, considering the two stacks......

Mike

What a beast.

Could you imagine sitting between those two engines for a 12 hr shift?

Spose that has fwa too...

Considering that the paint looks a little newer over the power unit and the #345 is on it, maybe a newer V8.

4 hours ago, jimw said:

Pretty sure it was 4 wheel drive.

Nope, don't think so - conventional drive KB-6s,, county owned.  Remember them well when they'd come past and open the roads after a blizzard.  Tossed that snow a l-o-n-g ways to the side!  Dickinson County, Iowa.  We called them "rotorys/rotories"(?)

I saw one of these on a back road with trees growing around it. No houses' near by just off the road in the brush!

2 minutes ago, augercreek said:

I saw one of these on a back road with trees growing around it. No houses' near by just off the road in the brush!

Probably where it ran out of gas ;)

7 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Nope, don't think so - conventional drive KB-6s,, county owned.  Remember them well when they'd come past and open the roads after a blizzard.  Tossed that snow a l-o-n-g ways to the side!  Dickinson County, Iowa.  We called them "rotorys/rotories"(?)

I wonder about that "Coleman" badge on the hood. Didn't they make aftermarket 4wd?

Yes it appears to be 4wd doesn’t it. What was the big v8 years ago that IH offered appears to be 2 mufflers on power unit.

Coleman and marmon/herrington? Made conversions for some of these applications. Used to be an early 50s ford in a junkyard i visited sum.as a kid. Had a wrecker on it but dad figured had been a state truck with a blower in a previous life. It had the 4x4 conversion and was about same gvw as the one in pic.

14 hours ago, MTO said:

What a beast.

Mto you need that for moving snow in Pa. 

I can visualize it.... colder than a __________, chain it up, thermos of coffee, couple of sandwiches, cab is about 45 degrees even with the heater wide open, about a square foot of windshield not frosted over,... I'm good to go. What more does a guy need?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I can visualize it.... colder than a __________, chain it up, thermos of coffee, couple of sandwiches, cab is about 45 degrees even with the heater wide open, about a square foot of windshield not frosted over,... I'm good to go. What more does a guy need?

Don’t forget the cap and wires would get wet so it would stall mid drift. Operator got out took cap off wiped it out with hanky and away you go again. Back when men were men.

9 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Sounds like the FleetStar I drove one winter....minus the chains.   

1 hour ago, metamora farmall said:

Mto you need that for moving snow in Pa. 

I need that in montans after the miles of 6 foot drift.

• Like 1

I forgot the cold toes from the steel floor.   Take a break, eat a sandwich, take your shoes off and put your toes under the heater blower to warm them back up. (done it)

Remember this was before Sorel's or Bunny Boots.  All you had was wool socks and 5 buckles over your shoes.

10 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Coleman and marmon/herrington? Made conversions for some of these applications. Used to be an early 50s ford in a junkyard i visited sum.as a kid. Had a wrecker on it but dad figured had been a state truck with a blower in a previous life. It had the 4x4 conversion and was about same gvw as the one in pic.

Says Coleman on the hood . 

On October 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM, MTO said:

What a beast.

I bet it didn't seem that bad at the time... Considering the alternative 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, dads706 said:

OMG, that description just hit a little too close to home. I'm not emotionally prepared for winter yet...

I just noticed the speedo reads in the RED at 50 mph. Maybe 55, but the old girl has never seen 60 in its life unless it was loaded coasting down hill. To be honest I would like to run it  for a day.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:06 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Coleman and marmon/herrington? Made conversions for some of these applications.

Now that you mention it, I did see those MH conversions but on a Ford.  Recalling the county owned "rotaries" coming past to open the roads after a blizzard in NW IA (Lake Park) where we were (RFD).

best, randy

Neighboring town from us here has a SnoGo mounted on a 50's or 60's FWD truck just like that one that they still use every year as needed.

The 549 was the big beast of IH V-8's.

They drank a lot of gas but got a lot done.

If I remember right, there was a gas and diesel version.

3 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

but on a Ford

Just didn't recall one on a "Binder".

best, randy

12 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The 549 was the big beast of IH V-8's.

They drank a lot of gas but got a lot done.

If I remember right, there was a gas and diesel version.

Rumor has it the DV-550 was related to the V-549.  I've never compared things like bore & stroke, cylinder spacing, main bearing sizes, head bolt location, etc to see how similar they were.

Last goof ball I drove for had a D-550 in a 6-wheel FleetStar straight truck. Having to pay for a complete rebuild because he shot it up with starting fluid one morning because he forgot to plug the block heater in was the start of his business failing.  The FleetStar tractor he bought for Me had the 478 cid V-8 and straight 5-speed.  Good enough to run 60-62 mph loaded to around 40,000# gross or empty and around 3 mpg.  I could NOT believe that tiny 1/4" diameter gas line from the pump to the 2bbl Holley carb could move 100 gallons of gas that fast!