Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Gaby

what to look for on 80 s1600

I am thinking about looking at a 1980 s1600 with diesel, 4/2 but it is about 100 miles from me so would like to get some pointers on what to look for. I do not know much more, other than it has a 16' bed with hoist, 10 lug wheels, underslung exaust , and a small bump at the back of the hood. Would this possibly have the D360? (Update - called about it, Guy says it has the International V-8 Diesel!?!?) Any thoughts would be greatly apriciated! Thanks! 

Are you sure it's not a 1754 with the 10 bolt wheels? Most 1654s were 6 lug. It should have a 9 litre diesel. The 6.9 was not out in 1980 IIRC.

Thanks Eason for the reply! What I have found on the internet seems to be no option for diesel in the s-1600, so may be 1700, not first time owner doesn't know what he's got!  I have no idea of the 9 liter diesel, were they any good, and what should I look out for?

A 1980 S1654 would have a 6.9L V8. But as Eason said 10 bolt wheels points toward a S1754 with a 9.0L V8. The 9.0L gets mixed reviews. I really like them. A local yellow bus operator had over 100 of them, and cried when they were discontinued. They where noted for great fuel mileage, and lifter failures. We replaced the lifters BEFORE they failed and took out the camshaft. Well, most of the time. The 9.0L ended because it couldn't meet emissions, not smog, NOISE emissions. If you buy it, I still have a lot of new parts for them.

Thanks for the reply Travelette! Sounds like new lifters first thing if bought! I know that it has 10 bolt wheels, but if it is the S1654 and 6.9L, is this the pre-power stroke base engine? And what are the good, bad, and ugly of it. (Sorry for all of the questions, but I've been behind a Cummins for a long time and not listening to info about other engines - my mistake.) 

SON drove a straight truck one summer putting up tents that was 9.0L powered.  The DT-466's walked away and left him,  but the DT-360 and 427 Chevy powered trucks couldn't catch him.  His truck had been a 47 mph top speed soft drink delivery truck, they W-A-Y over-geared the thing, would slowly accelerate all the way down hills, not revved out even at 90+ mph but would drop gears quick when going up hill. And the company he drove for didn't know the meaning of load rating, long as they had room they kept throwing stuff in the truck.

I may be wrong but I think the 6.9 came out in 1982.

Worked for a tree company that bought two S-1800’s in 1981 for lift truck chassis. 9 litres with 180 hp, 5+2. They later bought a S-1700 with 160 hp and an auto and a S-1600 for chip truck. 150 hp auto, barely climb a little hill.

The shop manager at my local IH dealership referred to the DV550 renamed the 9 LTR as the wonderful engine that IH designed to convert diesel fuel into smoke and noise.  The early ones had a steel insert in the pistons that would separate and cause major damage and that was the SM complaint. It was around from the 60's to the late 80's couldn't have been all that bad!

In my opinion, it was a good engine. I had a 1983 IH S1754 with the 9L. I really enjoyed driving that truck. That engine had a few different names as things were changed over the years, with the 9L being the last. And yes, the start year of the 6.9L was 1982.