Sign in to follow this  
odSteve

Advice needed - Which tool or procedure do I use?

Hi,

I finally brought my truck home a couple days ago. I doubt I'll be able to work on it any this year as the weather is already icy during the morning and below freezing at night. So the first thing I wanted to do was to put it up on jack stands and cover it with a good tarp. But I soon realized there wasn't enough room for both a bottle jack and jack stands under the rear axle. How does one normally raise and support the back (or front) of a truck like this? 

What I finally did was to use a Hi-Lift jack with a 4 ft pipe as a handle extension. Could not use it anywhere on the body work as it, (the body), would bend. So I sat it next to the tire with the jack's lift platform just inside the rim and lifted that way. It worked, but I really don't think it was very safe. I worried that the jack's lifting platform end might pop out of the wheel rim, or the Hi-Lift jack itself might bend or collapse as I'm sure I was probably far exceeding the designed lifting capacity of the jack. 

What's the proper way to lift and support each axle end on a truck like this? I've always been taught you don't lift a heavy truck with a floor jack by its axle pumpkin - is that true? I don't mind spending a hundred or two on some tool, but a couple grand on the hydraulic wheel lifts like they use in a truck tire shop is out of the budget. How should an individual put this truck on jack stands to work on it?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

picture.php?albumid=201&pictureid=2288

You are lucky that hi-lift didn't kill you or wreck something. A low profile 20 ton bottle jack, or even a little 2 ton bottle, will work just fine when lifting one wheel at a time.

With the width of the base of the jack stands as close as possible to the inner dual tire, there isn't enough room to also put a bottle jack there as it would connect at the axle at the slanted part where the axle's pumpkin housing is necking down to form the axle tube part of the housing.  The only way I can use both a jack stand and the bottle jack is to put the bottle jack in the center of the axle housing's pumpkin part.  Is it okay to lift the rear of the truck like one would lift the rear of a car with a floor jack in the center of its axle housing or could that potentially bend the truck's axle housing by lifting it in the center?  There's a lot of weight on the back half of the truck.  It's hard to explain but perhaps I can get a picture next weekend, weather permitting. 

Thank you Sir for your reply.

Are you able to reach the frame by blocking the jack up some and still have room to set the jack stand?  It would probably mean jacking the truck higher but would give you a substantial point to jack from.

chain axle to frame so it can't drop then jack on frame

be aware as you jack around of distances changing and pulling on the stands

or use screw jacks that you leave under it

or combo jack/stand

or jack under pumpkin, stand both sides same time

or jack under one side axle, remove tire and rim, set brake drum on blocks

With these stands and a bottle jack in my opinion it would be safe The RennStand by Safe Jack

These are a nice jack ( I have a pair) they are only rated for 3 ton each , I feel this would be borderline safe on your truck .

Powerbuilt 3-Ton All-in-One Bottle Jack/Jack Stand-640912 - The Home Depot