acem

headless gibs key???

I got a gibs key from caseih and it has no head...

The key is q1376 and is used to install the tripple pulley on the feeder/header jackshaft of my 1460. The shaft is under the feeder and powered the header.

My concern is there is no way to remove the key once installed. It is bad enough removing a gibs key with a head. There is nothing to pull against when removing this key.

Te,ll me it isn't so.

Thx-Ace

Ace

My suggestion would be weld your own gib on this key, before you have to install it.   Or if you have the time to order one from McMaster Carr,  or any other supplier.

GT&T

get another one with a head 

After reading this I had to take a look at my 1660. It has that same "headless" type gib key on the right hand side pulley. Left side (that drives the reel pump) has a typical gib key with head in it. Did you know that pulley is over $400 Canadian from CIH? I might need one. I've been doing my best to straighten the badly bent pulley on mine so it will work. These have a cast hub and mild pressed steel pulley riveted to it. 

My pulley had been going bad for years so I bought a complete shaft (good pulleys, hex ends, bearings and all) about 10 years ago but never put it on because it was still working... I bought the entire shaft for like $100 after pricing the pulley.

So my pulley never failed.  However the shaft broke because a collar came loose allowing the shaft to turn in the bearing race.  Last week the triple pulley fell off and the header stopped. I went to get my complete shaft and noticed it had the old style bearing on the right side so I had to remove the triple pulley to replace the bearing.  After much work I got the old gibbs key out and am ready to replace the bearing and pulley but have the headless gibbs key.

I checked the profile of the keys.  The headless key has the same profile as the longer key I have (4 1/2?).  I will just cut the long one off to match and have a key with a head!  

Thx-Ace