Sign in to follow this  
ZachGrant

Some 1460 repairs

I bought this new to me 1460 for $2000 to be a mate for our other one figuring If something catastrophic happens to either, we can park one and use it as a parts machine. It has 4030 hours and has been sitting 4 years but the retired farmer who owned it said he did his last harvest with it before parking it in the shed. It could really use new flighting on most the augers and chains and sprockets but I'm going to run it a bit before I dive in too deep $$. I spent this morning doing some repairs on the upper clean grain elevator where it was worn through. I still have to fix the boot but that should be an easy fix.

These sheet metal parts alone would have been $200 from case-ih and as far as I can tell aren't available aftermarket. The repairs should last as long as a replacement and were had for the cost of a couple hours.

20181008_124652.jpg

20181008_135617.jpg

20181008_142029.jpg

20181008_152117.jpg

20181008_152106.jpg

20181008_164640.jpg

20181008_170021.jpg

20181008_152826.jpg

20181008_152807.jpg

20181008_152840.jpg

20181008_143808.jpg

• Like 2

good job!

Nice work. I need to repair or replace my tailings elevator. The bottom is worn out. Thx-Ace

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

Nice job I see you have a jd adapter on it.

It actually came with that, the old boy who had it only had deere heads. I bought an all crop head he had just to have it if I ever need it. The sticker on the combine says sold and serviced by an implement in rugby, nd so if ca me out of your neck of the woods.

3 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

It actually came with that, the old boy who had it only had deere heads. I bought an all crop head he had just to have it if I ever need it. The sticker on the combine says sold and serviced by an implement in rugby, nd so if ca me out of your neck of the woods.

Take a picture of the sticker. Either Pierce implement or hoffart equipment, then northern equipment.

Nothing wrong with that. Looks good¬†ūüĎć

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Take a picture of the sticker. Either Pierce implement or hoffart equipment, then northern equipment.

It is Hoffart equipment.  I got the sold and serviced by part mixed up with my dad's 1460 which has an Aberdeen sticker on it.  I went ahead and patched the boot today. The clean grain auger tube was beyond repair so I snagged a good one off a JD 95 combine be have parked in the weeds. It was an inch too small so I cut the flange off the old boot and extended it an inch... should work pretty well even if it's the wrong color.

20181009_114954.jpg

20181009_115018.jpg

20181009_140200.jpg

20181009_140216.jpg

20181009_140250.jpg

At least you could paint the green weeny part! Lol looks good 

2 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

It is Hoffart equipment.  I got the sold and serviced by part mixed up with my dad's 1460 which has an Aberdeen sticker on it.  I went ahead and patched the boot today. The clean grain auger tube was beyond repair so I snagged a good one off a JD 95 combine be have parked in the weeds. It was an inch too small so I cut the flange off the old boot and extended it an inch... should work pretty well even if it's the wrong color.

20181009_114954.jpg

20181009_115018.jpg

20181009_140200.jpg

20181009_140216.jpg

20181009_140250.jpg

The ih dealer in rugby was Buchl implement from the 40 s to early 70s. They sold to a partner and named it pierce implement after our county name. Pierce sold out to the Hoffart family. They ran the dealer from around 80 to 85. The hoffart dad was a genius could weld or fix or do anything thing. He farmed and started a custom combining business ran ihc combines from the early 141 all the way up to 1688s when they quit. Their one farming son and another one ran the dealership while dad just stood back. They hit the hard times lost everything at the dealer and closed in 86. Another hoffart son started grouser products in Fargo building dozer blades and tracks for skidsteers. The hoffart combine crew always had a Ihc test  combine on the run with them they were well regarded with the engineering people. Rumor has it the dad Joe actually showed them how to get the early rotor designs to actually work.they would even run competitor test machines down south. Sad thing is family sold everything and is no longer even in area other than Fargo operation. They also were making heavy steel covers to stop bearing failures in early axial flows. Dad has a lot of machinery with the hoffart sticker on it.

You're doing a good job.   That is what we do with a machine too.   Run it for a bit and see what ya got then fix.    It sure is better than payments!!

15 hours ago, dale560 said:

The ih dealer in rugby was Buchl implement from the 40 s to early 70s. They sold to a partner and named it pierce implement after our county name. Pierce sold out to the Hoffart family. They ran the dealer from around 80 to 85. The hoffart dad was a genius could weld or fix or do anything thing. He farmed and started a custom combining business ran ihc combines from the early 141 all the way up to 1688s when they quit. Their one farming son and another one ran the dealership while dad just stood back. They hit the hard times lost everything at the dealer and closed in 86. Another hoffart son started grouser products in Fargo building dozer blades and tracks for skidsteers. The hoffart combine crew always had a Ihc test  combine on the run with them they were well regarded with the engineering people. Rumor has it the dad Joe actually showed them how to get the early rotor designs to actually work.they would even run competitor test machines down south. Sad thing is family sold everything and is no longer even in area other than Fargo operation. They also were making heavy steel covers to stop bearing failures in early axial flows. Dad has a lot of machinery with the hoffart sticker on it.

That's interesting about the family, I have seen a lot of grouser tracks down here... I'm interested in hearing about the heavy steel covers to prevent bearing failures. Where did they go? We have only been running AF combines a few years and haven't had much for bearing failures aside from the beater and spreaders. 

14 hours ago, nate said:

You're doing a good job.   That is what we do with a machine too.   Run it for a bit and see what ya got then fix.    It sure is better than payments!!

Thanks. I have been able get a decent fleet of machinery built up by buying other people's scrap and rebuilding it into something usable haha. It dang sure beats a payment!

The early final drives with the stamped steel covers would let the case flex apart and strain the bearings. Later on they went to cast covers. 

45 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

The early final drives with the stamped steel covers would let the case flex apart and strain the bearings. Later on they went to cast covers. 

These guys pre engineered the cast covers. They were cutting a thick steel plate drilling holes in it then building the hat part to cover gear out of lighter metal. They were selling covers in dealership for about 3 or 4 years before ihc started the cast cover. A lot of the axial flow updates were field designed adopted by caseih. The heavier wishbone support. The axle supports on back guys were building them out of category on hitch parts. 

Here is picture of those decals on some of dad’s stuff . They painted his 806 around 1980 and put a decal on it. The 1460 was bought from them in 81 it is a 79 model had 102 hours when it showed up at farm282D12B7-67F3-4FBC-9984-A53C147B7635.thumb.jpeg.358618aaa0ee2a03b07616db81d2fb70.jpeg

DA13950D-263C-4D50-ADDD-4B95F8C33DA0.jpeg

The bushing that the wiper motor that controls rotor speed was out and it allowed some teeth on the gear to get chewed off. When the motor would get to that spot of the gear it would just spin and I couldn't adjust rotor speed. I welded some nubs on the gear and fashioned new teeth with a dremel. It's far from perfect but it's at least functional.

I also discovered today that there is something goofy going on in the shoe. The top Chaffer moves side to side when the separator is engaged. There is some definite play in one of the hangar arm shafts (part #14) so I'm going to order a couple new shafts, new needle bearings, and new shaker arm bushings. Hopefully when I get the sieves out I don't find anything broken in there and end up having to get a new frame.

20181011_155004.jpg

20181011_154959.jpg

20181011_160438.jpg

20181011_160433.jpg

20181011_202653.jpg

Dont' run that machine until you inspect/ replace all the bushings in the upper and lower shoe drives. The slop will lead to broken sieves and sieve frames. Dad did that 3 years ago, the parts were obscene price! Glad I could sell him used parts from work. 

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Dont' run that machine until you inspect/ replace all the bushings in the upper and lower shoe drives. The slop will lead to broken sieves and sieve frames. Dad did that 3 years ago, the parts were obscene price! Glad I could sell him used parts from work. 

Yep, I'm just about to go yank the sieves and diassemble the shaker. I've got a bushing kit and some pins on order. I hope not to find anything broke but I'm halfway expecting it. Hopefully I can get it back together fairly quick I would like to try it out next week.

Well, I figured out the problem. The bearing in the banjo arm on the drive side was completely gone. I have no idea how long its been gone but I can't believe it wasn't making more of a racket. I'm hoping I can get by with just a bearing and not the cam and banjo arm. The arm should be ok because the bearing race took the wear. I'm not sure about the cam though.

20181012_154603.jpg