Sign in to follow this  
red tractor fever

Short Farm Train

Took Wednesday and Thursday off this week. Mainly cause their wasn't much trucking to do. And second they were the first decent days I had a chance to catch up on a few things around home. With all the rain we've been getting, mowing the yard was one of my top priorities. When it was nice we were gone and when we were home it was raining. I should've baled it and sold it as it was out of control. 

I checked a couple of my wagons that are outside. They shouldn't be but that's a story for another day. Looked in two of them and the words SWIMMING POOL come to mind. That wasn't gonna cut it obviously. And at that time they were predicting heavy rain for us. So it was time to move them, get the fronts higher than the rears to insure the water run out. Here's the end result. 3 double reach IH #52 running gears. Front box is a Sears flarebox. Second one is a 6x10 Stanhoist built IH box. And the third is a 6x12 Stanhoist built IH box. I pulled them with my trusty Gehl 4400 skid loader. Stout little machine. I'd be lost without it.

downsized_1004181423.jpg

1004181424b.jpg

• Like 1

Front flare box may say Sears, but if you look around on it I bet you can find Electric Wheel Company, Quincy, Illinois on it somewhere.

About 1966 or maybe '67 Dad and the neighbor bought matching wagons.  Oliver/EWC #5150 flare boxes, 150 bushel level full, decals said Oliver but serial number tag said EWC, neighbor bought a new Deere gear to put under his, Dad bought an Oliver/EWC #5026 8 ton gear for his. Neighbor painted his 2 ft tall sideboards Persian orange, I painted ours 2150 IH red.

The embossings in your wagon box match those EWC boxes.

Anyhow, the Stan-Hoist and Heider barge boxes were very popular, but Dad hated clawing corn, oats, shell corn, cobs, whatever out of the back corners with the box raised.

We used Midwest hoists on most of our wagons, the Godbersen link started raising BIG loads with low pressure hyd systems really well, but you had to raise the box so high off the running gear you lost capacity in the box.  Neighbor found a twin cylinder hoist with two 4x20 cylinders that straddled the reach on the running gear, the big boxes sat right down on the bolsters, more side boards, bigger loads as long as the picker tractor could pull them.  We ALMOST got the 450 or 4010 out to pull those 200 bushel loads of ear corn up to the crib. But new tires, 3rd gear and a BIG running start with the Super H got them to the crib.

Anyhow, Nice line-up of wagons.  It's amazing what wagons in good condition are bringing again.  The last auction Dad had in 2006, the brand new, never raised Midwest hoist that was going to go under that flare box back in '66-'67 sold for $5,  FIVE DOLLARS,  even had a 40 year old hyd. hose that never had oil in it, and a brand new Pioneer male connector that had never been hooked to a female connector.   I was real tempted to take the hoist home an make a dump cart but I figured it would bring some money.

You have some IH 52 running gears with the double reach. We have one too under a hay wagon. You don't run into these type running gears with the double reach to often. 

6 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Front flare box may say Sears, but if you look around on it I bet you can find Electric Wheel Company, Quincy, Illinois on it somewhere.

About 1966 or maybe '67 Dad and the neighbor bought matching wagons.  Oliver/EWC #5150 flare boxes, 150 bushel level full, decals said Oliver but serial number tag said EWC, neighbor bought a new Deere gear to put under his, Dad bought an Oliver/EWC #5026 8 ton gear for his. Neighbor painted his 2 ft tall sideboards Persian orange, I painted ours 2150 IH red.

The embossings in your wagon box match those EWC boxes.

Anyhow, the Stan-Hoist and Heider barge boxes were very popular, but Dad hated clawing corn, oats, shell corn, cobs, whatever out of the back corners with the box raised.

We used Midwest hoists on most of our wagons, the Godbersen link started raising BIG loads with low pressure hyd systems really well, but you had to raise the box so high off the running gear you lost capacity in the box.  Neighbor found a twin cylinder hoist with two 4x20 cylinders that straddled the reach on the running gear, the big boxes sat right down on the bolsters, more side boards, bigger loads as long as the picker tractor could pull them.  We ALMOST got the 450 or 4010 out to pull those 200 bushel loads of ear corn up to the crib. But new tires, 3rd gear and a BIG running start with the Super H got them to the crib.

Anyhow, Nice line-up of wagons.  It's amazing what wagons in good condition are bringing again.  The last auction Dad had in 2006, the brand new, never raised Midwest hoist that was going to go under that flare box back in '66-'67 sold for $5,  FIVE DOLLARS,  even had a 40 year old hyd. hose that never had oil in it, and a brand new Pioneer male connector that had never been hooked to a female connector.   I was real tempted to take the hoist home an make a dump cart but I figured it would bring some money.

I'll have a look next time I'm close to it. It'll be a few days with the rain were expecting. 

Heider and Stanhoist were popular here to. I saw lots of wagons in my younger day. My dad and uncle had corn shellers together. So I saw lots of different brands and variations. I remember several guys had the smaller light green Parker gravity wagons. Two of those behind a 560 was impressive back then.

Midwest hoists were about all we saw as well. And my matched red Heiders have twin cylinder hoists under them. But sound different then yours.

And I'll agree, prices on these old wagons have been on the rise. Even if their not collectable so to speak.

And thanks for the compliment. Gotta work on them some. These boxes are just sitting on the gears. Need to get them mounted so they can go to Marshalltown next year along with several others I have.

5 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

You have some IH 52 running gears with the double reach. We have one too under a hay wagon. You don't run into these type running gears with the double reach to often. 

Actually have quite a few. They must have been popular in these parts. I've snagged several double reach gears the last 10 years. Most of them locally at consignment sales. Not all have IH boxes on them tho.

Nice line up. 🙂 now all you need is some dry weather and a shiny ih combine of any vintage to fill em and run them to the bin behind the 826's. 👍

No big deal that there not IH boxes on them. Most by this point have had multiple boxes on them. Ours is a homemade thrower hay rack. 

15 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Nice line up. 🙂 now all you need is some dry weather and a shiny ih combine of any vintage to fill em and run them to the bin behind the 826's. 👍

Thanks. And actually a IH combine is on my wish list. The 615 I saw the other day grabbed my attention. And I've seen several 7 & 815's on Auction Time and Big Iron the last while. But can't figure out where to get it under roof. And the pull type 80 or I think 82's grab my attention to. Same situation, where do I keep it inside. 

12 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

No big deal that there not IH boxes on them. Most by this point have had multiple boxes on them. Ours is a homemade thrower hay rack. 

Agreed. I've had several what I call wagon box divorces and marriages to get things in order. One Knapheide IH box came on a GREEN running gear. Obviously that wasn't gonna work. 

That particular wagon was bought on a consignment sale in Floyd, Iowa. Pulled it home and we divorced the box and hoist from the gear in about 20 minutes. Hooked the gear behind the pickup again and took it to another consignment sale in Gladbrook, Iowa. The sale was Saturday so we got to work.😀

Several diff 15 series combines on craigslist right now too. I know what you mean about roof space tho. Some of the stuff i use doesn't have a home under a roof either and i hate it.

13 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Several diff 15 series combines on craigslist right now too. I know what you mean about roof space tho. Some of the stuff i use doesn't have a home under a roof either and i hate it.

Join the club some of my stuff has to sit out! I hate it but no money to build it a home yet! I usually spray with oil and a good tarp! 

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

It's really what holds me back. Can't buy a combine or similar item and leave it to the elements. Wagons I try and park with the rear low for water to get out. Tractors are in no matter what. My 756 gas is outside at the moment. But I'm working on a solution for that. I'm working on a solution for the above wagons to. Hate things outside. 

About the only things Dad left outside was the hay rack,  it got painted every couple years. Anybody else have a pink hay rack?  Red paint was expensive, but white paint was cheap. Mixing the two made cheaper paint. My time was free.  Tillage equipment was stored under a roof, disk, plows,  combine, Deere #25 or #30 stored inside, planter and picker inside.  Hay rake and peg tooth harrow stored outside. Tractors all inside. We had the advantage of being able to store stuff in the buildings at the other farm we farmed/rented with the neighbor.

It's nice to have extra capacity to store grain, corn or beans on wheels when your racing against a change in the weather but it comes at a price,  the initial cost of trucks or wagons, then the cost to store them.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

About the only things Dad left outside was the hay rack,  it got painted every couple years. Anybody else have a pink hay rack?  Red paint was expensive, but white paint was cheap. Mixing the two made cheaper paint. My time was free.  Tillage equipment was stored under a roof, disk, plows,  combine, Deere #25 or #30 stored inside, planter and picker inside.  Hay rake and peg tooth harrow stored outside. Tractors all inside. We had the advantage of being able to store stuff in the buildings at the other farm we farmed/rented with the neighbor.

It's nice to have extra capacity to store grain, corn or beans on wheels when your racing against a change in the weather but it comes at a price,  the initial cost of trucks or wagons, then the cost to store them.

I've resorted to storage trailers. They're great for wagons and small to medium sized tractors. Gets things up off the ground so I like that. The crop is out around my house so I can get at a trailer now for those wagons. But I don't have a solution at the moment for a combine other than not own one. Can't build a building if I could afford it. The county we live in has some funny guidelines on that stuff. So for now, trailers are my solution. Storage containers are supposed to be in abundance. But I can't find any. There smaller than trailers but more expensive. So that's not much of an option.

Waylon, I have a couple of those IH Knaphide wagons too. Both on IH gears, one with an IH hoist, the other with an All Star hoist.

4 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Waylon, I have a couple of those IH Knaphide wagons too. Both on IH gears, one with an IH hoist, the other with an All Star hoist.

I remember seeing them when we tired up the 49 M for Belmond show. Seems like yesterday doesn't it?

Who made Montgomery Ward gears?

You could pull them 60 mph with no whip.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:49 PM, red tractor fever said:

Thanks. And actually a IH combine is on my wish list. The 615 I saw the other day grabbed my attention. And I've seen several 7 & 815's on Auction Time and Big Iron the last while. But can't figure out where to get it under roof. And the pull type 80 or I think 82's grab my attention to. Same situation, where do I keep it inside. 

I KNOW WHERE A 303 IS..

There's a 503 near here that is a '68 model if I remember right.  Been sitting a the neighbor's place for 10 years with a 4 row head on it.