Minneapolis-Moline pull type combine

My Dad recently had some tree clearing dozer work done and it's exposed an old Minne combine that he'd parked there in '68. My grandpa had bought it back in the 40's. The body is all there (even the yellow paint is still on the sides) except a tree had knocked the elevator over. I think my Dad said it had a 40" or so cut. I'm just curious how rare these are-and whether a restorer would be interested in it. I've noticed the header is on the right side-unlike the Allis Chalmers pull type we used to have. Dad said he'd run the Allis while Grandpa would run the Minne. Since the headers were on opposite sides it created unique problems when trying to run both on the same field. Knowing Grandpa, he probably got it because it was cheaper than anyone else's.

I'm going back out next weekend to help work cattle so I'll definitely get some pics up of this interesting piece of history.

I don't think I've ever remember seeing one. I'm interested in seeing it. 

All I know about it is my Dad saying you couldn't push it that hard being that we used an M to operate it. And Grandpa was always paranoid about loosening the canvas feeder belt in the evening because if dew got on it while it was tight it would stretch out even further-and then you'd be swearing at it all the next day. It has a tiny (by modern standards) hopper-perhaps 15 or 20 bushel. Grandpa ran it for almost 30 years and apparently never had that many problems with it. My Dad retired it when he got back from the Army and bought his first self propelled combine-an IH 101 open platform.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, pictures please... have always been interested in checking out these old combines when I see them... have even thought about restoring one to working condition just to be able to run it...

Does this one have an engine on it to power it, or is it PTO driven ? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry guys for the late, late reply with a pic.? Worse yet I was only able to take one as helping the old man put up fence was priority one. (Plus it was pretty muddy getting up close to it.)

Nope, no engine just pto driven. I asked Dad where the hopper was/is-it's in a close by ditch but I tell you what it's still in good shape also. What is it about that old steel that was 100% made here that made it so resilient to rust? The quality?

Yup, dale560 your pics of the restored one looks like a match. 

Dad told me a story of one evening my grandpa stopped cutting and loosened the canvas to call it a day. He went back the next morning to begin cutting again and this very MM combine would absolutely not turn the cylinder. Grandpa was puzzled because it was running just fine when he last stopped. Upon inspection he found the bind-a raccoon had crawled into the cylinder chamber and it's lower half got wedged in the concave when he first tried engaging it. The poor coon was still alive and grandpa said he couldn't put his hands anywhere near it to pull it out. He finally had to give the coup de grace with a whack to the head and reverse turned the cylinder with the huge spanner cylinder wrench that came with the combine.

Happy New Year Everyone!

20181121_162400.jpg

• Like 1

The steel was much better quality back then..in '89 I had not one bolt twist off when I restored my '46 A IMG_20181221_201603872.thumb.jpg.b2118d1d04837a0e8a157978a9d43cca.jpg

Nice A there. Yes the steel quality was top notch-and cheap. Today it's questionable at best as I've welded pipe from Thailand, China, etc and seen the stuff rust out. It's bad and expensive today.

One of my Dad's friends liked joking about this one man he knew that would always wear a toupee crooked. He said the guy reminded him of 'an 'A' Farmall going down the road' with the offset seat. I nearly cried laughing.

• Thanks 1