Red-to-go

Help w Cylinder Rebuild

Never seen a ram with felt seals on the pistons. I know this machine is from the 1940’s but wondering if anyone knows if these can be replaced or upgraded? There is quite a bit of rust and pitting inside the cylinder as well as some gouges on the chrome of the ram I’m not sure a can polish out so trying to do the full cost evaluation before I buy new units, thanks 

EE5030A7-8A30-4AAD-B5BF-4FB1589F627E.jpeg

DC828426-7970-4796-AE5E-B4D37D3821A5.jpeg

5C2E7542-2707-4CF7-A2DD-A1226EEE5318.jpeg

leathers std for 30-40     v packing similar into 65    that part is simple to upgrade to current nylon and oring etc  can be done on home lathe    link hydraulic  sold us everything ,and upgraded many in 90's   $70 ea then kit is $20

shops wanted $400 labor + $500 parts then for  EA.  medium pressure cyls 

those are high volume low pressure not easy to swap out without ENTIRE system.about $4K to be right  bc ALL parts have to be single sourced and made to work + the retrofit conversions/mountings

as to rechrome/liner  doable ....   few places remain

however  putting $600 into ea is possibly cheap  since  china "prince" $500 cyls etc ,are all you will find  without paying shop rate $$$ to source/redesign and they will cycle way too fast with current pump

Thanks. I think with all that I’m gonna go for the rebuild option. When I searched for leather piston seals they came up on Amazon and MSC Direct. Amazon said ships in 1-3 months! So I ordered off MSC (1 week) and also ordered new nitrile o-rings  and chevron packing kits as well. Here is link to the piston seals on MSC 

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/59511014