Sign in to follow this  
KWRB

Hat Recommendation

A few years ago my Grandpa, who spent many of his younger years outdoors in the sun, had a giant chunk of his ear removed due to skin cancer. My grandma has been all over me to get a wide brimmed hat for outdoor summer work. I think they look goofy and they don't look terribly comfortable, so I usually wear ball caps. Do any of you wear full wide brimmed hats in the summer? Can you recommend one that's cool (temperature-wise) and comfortable?

• Like 1

My preferred summer hat for outside work in the summer is a straw hat.  Just the $10 variety from a local store.  Wear one out and get a new one as they are a disposable item.  My old one is getting worn out with the top of the front literally missing some.  It seems much cooler than a ball cap.  For me that seems most noticeable when mowing.

47 minutes ago, WESnIL said:

My preferred summer hat for outside work in the summer is a straw hat.  Just the $10 variety from a local store.  Wear one out and get a new one as they are a disposable item.  My old one is getting worn out with the top of the front literally missing some.  It seems much cooler than a ball cap.  For me that seems most noticeable when mowing.

Same here, run over it with the mower and get a new one. Goofy looking versus skin cancer is no brainer.

Dennis

I tend to run hot, so most hats tend to make me even hotter and I quickly stain them.  So, I finaly found a hat to solve that problem.  It's a dorky-looking, loosely woven, hard straw safari hat.  It has an adjustable band that allows it to stand above my head by a fraction of an inch to allow maximum air movement.  It shields the sun and keeps me cool. 

If you search eBay under Brookstone safari, you will find several listings.  While it isn't cheap, this hat is very well built and thus has outlasted many of the cheap $10 straw hats.

Anybody wear a Tilly hat? I've considered that.

I have had skin cancer cut off in three different places on my head,  Nose, ear and forehead.

In other words , Yes I wear hats.

I wore ball caps as a kid. In my twenties started getting a spot on top of one ear, now I wear black felt year around, one that never leaves the ranch, one for visiting neighbors or going to town and one strictly for weddings and funerals. Resistal is preferred although my good hat now was made by James Marshall in Arthur, NE. Rodeo King is kinda looked down upon but not a bad hat for the money if you get their good one. I tried straw but sweat just as much and couldn't get used to it flapping in a high wind. I think anything that keeps the sun off your head is gonna keep you cooler and keep the skin cancer away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Anybody wear a Tilly hat? I've considered that.

I bought a similar one from Orvis about 10 years ago.  It was still too hot for me even with mesh around the sides.  That being said, I continue to use it when doing yard work at home since I don't care how dirty or soggy it gets.

I wear a Lighterweight Tilley.  Magnificent hats

I put a canopy on my mower to keep most of the sun off. But I also wear a hat most of the time. My favorite is a felt western (cowboy) made at "The Cow Lot" in Wichita Falls Texas. I also have 2 western straw hats for summer and 2 black Stetsons for winter. I had suppliers keep giving me hats connected with my work so I have a collection of 483 baseball style hats, mostly never worn. Wife wants me to throw out the ones I never wear because they are taking up space and collecting dust.

Whatever you decide, protect your skin. Cancer is not selective. 

I try to wear a straw hat but have been thinking of trying one with a solar fan.  Your hats either going to make you look goofy or smart. Depends on how you look at it. 

For summer-----

MAGELLAN brand------nylon mesh--totally flexible------good air flow.  May be some sort of Aussie "outback" hat??  Cool and near indestructible.

Believe I bought this at Dick's Sporting Goods----at least 6--7 year ago.  (less than $20)

20181004_102124.thumb.jpg.9b90943c79d324ab9d929cefcdfdee4f.jpg

20181004_102142.thumb.jpg.57e54ad9162821b045f2b771a90c191d.jpg

20181004_102215.thumb.jpg.00e91a317fdd4a1a13b926eb703a39e3.jpg

DD

My father started wearing a safari hat a couple summers ago. Watching his dad develop spots on his ears as he aged, made him shed the seed corn cap for a few months.

4 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

For summer-----

MAGELLAN brand------nylon mesh--totally flexible------good air flow.  May be some sort of Aussie "outback" hat??  Cool and near indestructible.

Believe I bought this at Dick's Sporting Goods----at least 6--7 year ago.  (less than $20)

DD

That’s a hat I could see wearing!

Those big floppy hats that make you look like a dork, not so much. 

But like everyone has said, skin cancer is not something to mess around with.

Always wore a ball cap type hat, and every year the tops of my ears would crisp up, not good.

Past few years I’ve been in a cab or truck so not as big an issue as when I was on an open tractor, but it’s still something to be mindful about 

16 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

That’s a hat I could see wearing!

Those big floppy hats that make you look like a dork, not so much. 

But like everyone has said, skin cancer is not something to mess around with.

Always wore a ball cap type hat, and every year the tops of my ears would crisp up, not good.

Past few years I’ve been in a cab or truck so not as big an issue as when I was on an open tractor, but it’s still something to be mindful about 

Forgot to say-------you will need to contract with our cats for the Blue Jay feather!!!!!  I picked it up out of the yard------usually some sort of bird feathers on the ground.😨🤠

I also wear western hats and a few caps---------but for summer, this hat is hard to beat.  Feel naked if I don't have something on my head.

DD

8 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Forgot to say-------you will need to contract with our cats for the Blue Jay feather!!!!!  I picked it up out of the yard------usually some sort of bird feathers on the ground.😨🤠

I also wear western hats and a few caps---------but for summer, this hat is hard to beat.  Feel naked if I don't have something on my head.

DD

I’m sure I can find some feathers around here, 2 cats- one is a hunter inside and out, the other one is off duty inside and outside he is either hunting or making friends with critters. He tried bringing a chipmunk in last week, just to hang out with I guess? Or a snack for later? Idk 😐 

Bangora straw by American hat company. I usually get a couple a seasons out of one. Not to bad on price and you won't look like a dork if you go to the Rodeo. Tbey cut my skin cancer off the back of my hand. So much for not wearing gloves.

5 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

For summer-----

DD

Very similar to what I wear.  Mine is a Panama Jack that set me back a whole $20 at Meijer.  I was tempted to get rid of the chin strap but then I turned it around so it goes across the back of my head the way a "Smokey Bear" trooper hat works and it stays on pretty well even in moderate wind.  I don't care what people think of how I look.  Goofy-looking + no skin cancer = "the new cool."😎

• Like 1

As sandhiller  different hat for different situations but all cowboy style. Some straw some felt,folks put me in hat and boots as soon as I was walking cause I don't remember not wearing them. I don't wear a hat in town as much cause the whiplash protector part of the seat keeps being in the way. So hat gets put in the back seat and I don't remember to grab it until I am in the store. 

But still had some little spots on ears the doc hits them with nitrogen every few years. Also had one they had to cut a little deep on my hand. So I get checked out every 12 to 18 months.