Jump to content

Rotor belt insurance


Pete1468

Recommended Posts

Who else has their own rotor belt insurance?  I was waiting for it to dry and thought now would be a good time to change three bushings on the variable speed drive.  While in there I saw a bad spot in my rotor belt.  Figured I'd put a new one on and zip tie the old one in for emergency use.

KIMG0058.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably never go out now ,had a Heston roller that had bearings that always had to order I bought spares and never went out again let spares go with roller

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Who else has their own rotor belt insurance?  I was waiting for it to dry and thought now would be a good time to change three bushings on the variable speed drive.  While in there I saw a bad spot in my rotor belt.  Figured I'd put a new one on and zip tie the old one in for emergency use.

KIMG0058.JPG

A lot of guys up here used to do that. Honestly since I have run a combine from 1460 on to 1480 to 2188 to 2588 I have only changed 2 rotor belts. One on 1460 shredded from age. I replaced belt dad had spare in cab. And 2 years ago I smoked the belt on our 2188 after plugging it. That belt was bad when we got the combine and I got 700 more hours out of it. That was first time I plugged a rotor in 28 years. I can see rotor belts lugging on soybeans in low but we run them hard in spring wheat. Only thing tougher to combine is flax , rye and green grass. They last a long time. Dad used to be tough on belts in the 1460 in the early 80s but he settled down and after he updated the rotor drive he got a lot of life out of belts. We actually shred more cylinder belts on our 8820 about 1 every 100 hours

Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally keep an eye on them as they're $450 right now, but the beans and stems are green and tough this year.  I was there for something else so I wasn't going to take a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

I normally keep an eye on them as they're $450 right now, but the beans and stems are green and tough this year.  I was there for something else so I wasn't going to take a chance.

The last time I changed one it was real warm it wasn’t fun wishing I would have had one tied in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dale560 said:

A lot of guys up here used to do that. Honestly since I have run a combine from 1460 on to 1480 to 2188 to 2588 I have only changed 2 rotor belts. One on 1460 shredded from age. I replaced belt dad had spare in cab. And 2 years ago I smoked the belt on our 2188 after plugging it. That belt was bad when we got the combine and I got 700 more hours out of it. That was first time I plugged a rotor in 28 years. I can see rotor belts lugging on soybeans in low but we run them hard in spring wheat. Only thing tougher to combine is flax , rye and green grass. They last a long time. Dad used to be tough on belts in the 1460 in the early 80s but he settled down and after he updated the rotor drive he got a lot of life out of belts. We actually shred more cylinder belts on our 8820 about 1 every 100 hours

I always keep a spare belt handy I wanna get all the goody out of a belt as i can I always wait til they are fried before I replace them you'd be surprised how long a crappy looking belt will last the rotor drive belt from CIH is 345.00 bucks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your supposed to release the tension off of belt while storing combine. If you shove a wood block in pulley then slow rotor speed down for winter. I never do this but it is supposed to help belt from cracking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not combine related but anybody whoever has owned a Massey 4 wheel drive tractor learned right away to tie up spare belts for the hydraulic pumps.  They were run off the driveshaft between the clutch/engine and transmission so in order to change the belts you had to take off the driveshaft.  Another brilliant design from MF.  We still have the spare fan belt tied up on our 1954 TD 14A crawler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you do that? That's the "easier" part of the task getting to that point (not that any of it is easy). That may hang like that for years and end up causing bigger problems....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw all old belts with visable wear to the trash!  As much work as that takers to instal one, it isn't worth chancing a used belt.  I keep a new rotor and drive belts hanging in the shop.  Just changed the drive belt 3 days ago.

jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ST-470 said:

Why would you do that? That's the "easier" part of the task getting to that point (not that any of it is easy). That may hang like that for years and end up causing bigger problems....

I agree I'd never tie a new belt there better off left in the shop until needed I just don't have  that big a problem with them belts breaking unless your slugging the separator a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem that I saw with that belt was a crack between the lugs that was down to the lugs.  I'm sure in corn out would run a long time, hard thrashing green stem beans are different.  Working a full time job and combing at night and weekends you take every advantage that you can get.  If I have to change one now it should take me about 10 minutes or so to slip the spare on there and run while I get a different one the next day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

The only problem that I saw with that belt was a crack between the lugs that was down to the lugs.  I'm sure in corn out would run a long time, hard thrashing green stem beans are different.  Working a full time job and combing at night and weekends you take every advantage that you can get.  If I have to change one now it should take me about 10 minutes or so to slip the spare on there and run while I get a different one the next day.

Guys used to do same thing a lot up here so don’t feel like Lone Ranger. We just don’t see rotor belt troubles anymore up here. Flagship combines and roundup on the wheat probably solved that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I agree I'd never tie a new belt there better off left in the shop until needed I just don't have  that big a problem with them belts breaking unless your slugging the separator a lot

That's not my new belt, that's the used one that I zip tied  up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

That's not my new belt, that's the used one that I zip tied  up there.

Ok looks like a pretty solid belt still what was the bad spot apparently it isn't showing in the pic 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the inside there was a crack down to the cords and would kink there.  At the dealership I had to go change belts that blew, not much fun with a hot motor right there.  I remember one that exploded, longest piece I found was about 8 inches long.  Lots of cords that were longer.  One of the owners was walking next to the machine and he said it was like a shot gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can change that belt in 10 minutes , I want to see video the next time you do it. A seasoned combine mechanic takes nearly an hour with all the tricks he has learned over the years.

jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's over half way on right now.  Loosen the speed one up with the electric motor and use a pry bar and a small 2x4 to hold the shieve apart on the rotor  and turn it in.  If not 10 minutes 15 minutes left after it's zip tied up where it's at.  It's zip tied around the drive shaft that runs to the front gearbox.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The pic was taken when I was waiting for the new one to show up.  The bolts aren't back in for the driveshaft or in the gearbox mounting yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good plan Pete,    You should not have trouble now that it is in there ready.    We do all the farm work after the day jobs.   You have to have a plan B.   You only break down after the parts store closes on Saturday.    Besides as cheap as some of the new parts are made maybe the old one would outlast the new one!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to wreck a belt at least every two years in Saskatchewan harvests on our 2188.  I dont think we were reckless or overly hard on equipment either.  It’s often a short harvest season up here and you are forced to run in crop tougher than you should.

I suppose that could be said about a lot of regions, but we always have the prospect of snow and early winter forcing that hyrdostat lever forward.  Some of the Alberta guys just got 14” of snow this week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sask466 said:

We used to wreck a belt at least every two years in Saskatchewan harvests on our 2188.  I dont think we were reckless or overly hard on equipment either.  It’s often a short harvest season up here and you are forced to run in crop tougher than you should.

I suppose that could be said about a lot of regions, but we always have the prospect of snow and early winter forcing that hyrdostat lever forward.  Some of the Alberta guys just got 14” of snow this week!

One of the custom combine guys here would break 10 or 12 belts a year on his 1688 through 3 sets of 2188

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...