IH 424 Basic questions

michaeldrane

I'm embarrassed to ask these questions, but I need help. A couple years ago I bought a 1969 IH 424 2WD GAS no power steering. I don't use it much other than to bush hog my pasture and till up a garden plot. It runs well when it's working. I say when it's working because about twice a year it will fail to start. After having some mechanic friends come over, we've always managed to get it going again. The problems so far have been related to the carburetor or the generator. It's been two years and I haven't done any real maintenance on it other than have the generator rebuilt, tune up (spark plugs replaced, points replaced, distributor cords, cap, etc, replaced), changed out the in line fuel filter, and replaced the air filter. But that's it. 

I would like to change the oil, flush and replace the coolant, and anything else that is recommended. What type, weight, of oil and how much should I use? Does anyone recommend a rust inhibitor coolant flush like Thermocure? Should I just used distilled water or should I add antifreeze? Any recommendations on transmission fluid and changing the transmission filter? What am I not thinking about? 

What would you do if you bought this tractor and you knew it had not be properly maintained for the last 3 plus years? 

Any help for this city slicker would be appreciated. 

Case IH Low Ash SAE 30 engine oil for sure. No 10W-30 oil. And the CIH filter. Good gas engine antifreeze. There are other things that others will recommend but the low ash oil is the one thing that I strongly recommend for these old engines. The C146 is a member of the Farmall A family dating back to 1939 and which were produced up to 1979. Other members were the C113, C123, C135, C146, and the C153. 

Archived