I lost my hammer 😢

vtfireman85

Had to replace my hammer today, I’ve carried a 10 oz stiletto finish for years, as an electrician I’m not usually driving spikes so the 10 is plenty, I picked up a new 10 but the handle felt all wrong. I settled in a 14 oz smooth faced framer, on the off chance mine turns back up. I may have to give in an get another 10😢

but the new one is all purdy 

06512728-CD88-4AA6-9EF5-7C795E2A3A08.jpeg

Looks expensive!  I am a Estwing man myself. I have an old long handle 16 that fits me well.  I probably like them because they are indestructible.  Seems people either love or hate Estwing, no in between.  Once you get used to one hammer, it is hard to find a replacement, even from the sa,e brand.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had to replace my hammer today, I’ve carried a 10 oz stiletto finish for years, as an electrician I’m not usually driving spikes so the 10 is plenty, I picked up a new 10 but the handle felt all wrong. I settled in a 14 oz smooth faced framer, on the off chance mine turns back up. I may have to give in an get another 10😢

Not sayin it's not a great hammer but it looks like a fat man who has a teeny weeny head.

18 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Not sayin it's not a great hammer but it looks like a fat man who has a teeny weeny head.

Kinda, the 10 oz did not 

FB45A61F-3DDD-4277-BE94-4FD9FE9B3542.jpeg

Years ago when dad finished high school he and friend from small town worked for another guy that was big contractor from their little town. They were just building all the missile site and air base housing then. A guy that worked on their crew was a jerk but had a special hammer. He set it on a board ina wall they quickly put drywall over his hammer. Dad said guy knocked holes in wall till he found hammer.

I have 40ish hammers in the shop. 

Have one in my hand MOST of the time as a lot of Ford customers.

They all fit my hand. 

Damn fussy electricians...

My wife has them too VTF

STEVEMADDEN-DRESS_STECY_BLACK_SIDE?$MR%2DZOOM$&id=Eu3r20&rgn=0,-267,3000,3536&scl=6.607929515418502

1 hour ago, MTO said:

They all fit my hand. 

My wife has them too VTF

STEVEMADDEN-DRESS_STECY_BLACK_SIDE?$MR%2DZOOM$&id=Eu3r20&rgn=0,-267,3000,3536&scl=6.607929515418502

Hard to hit staples with those tiny hammer heads though...

1 hour ago, MTO said:

They all fit my hand. 

My wife has them too VTF

Hard to hit staples with those tiny hammer heads though...

Looked em up and I guess I could cash in my 401 and buy one?

I do like the idea of the nail puller on the side of some models.  Hatchet style handle is an interesting feature.

I lost a hammer in a 3 section feild chasing cows...its gone it's amazing how much better your hammer work than one identical too it...

58 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Looked em up and I guess I could cash in my 401 and buy one?

I do like the idea of the nail puller on the side of some models.  Hatchet style handle is an interesting feature.

It all goes back to the same argument about expensive mechanics tools vs cheap. I carry it all day every day, have to carry one, no choice. I swing it every day, I replaced a 20 oz hammer with it, to me that’s 10 ozx8 or 10 hours a day that isn’t wearing out my knees and hips and elbow and shoulder. So I’d say it’s worth it to me. If it were banging around in the tractor tool box to pound In the occasional fence insulator , I’d say it isn’t worth it. 

It all goes back to the same argument about expensive mechanics tools vs cheap. I carry it all day every day, have to carry one, no choice. I swing it every day, I replaced a 20 oz hammer with it, to me that’s 10 ozx8 or 10 hours a day that isn’t wearing out my knees and hips and elbow and shoulder. So I’d say it’s worth it to me. If it were banging around in the tractor tool box to pound In the occasional fence insulator , I’d say it isn’t worth it. 

If you are swinging 16d ring shank pole barn nails all day the right hammer makes a world of difference. I built pole barns for a couple years in the eighties and a few more in the late ninety's. I had a 22oz Plumb framing hammer, made my elbow hurt. Tried a "Hart Framer" 23oz (?)  could pound all day and my elbow didn't hurt. Today I rarely use anything heavier than 16oz.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No I get it.  A man should have the hammer that he wants and needs no matter what the cost.

I used to have on my hip an Estwing long handle 28 ouncer as half of my work was forming and and the other half stripping it all down after the pour.  Per normal I had the 28 in a hammer hanger one day when pouring a bridge deck while running a come-along ahead of the Bidwell finishing machine.  

I went in low to grab concrete and rake it out while Ernie in the same space and time was coming out w/ a rake of said concrete.  As it happened the end of the handle of his connected w/ the right orbital of my skull.....OUCH!  Was'n't Ernie's fault no more than mine but it did require a moment to vent/release so what did I was to yell "Mother Focker!!!" and grab and throw the 28 out into the middle of the river (I had to do something, right?).

They all laughed at me and when I regained my sanity I laughed w/ them and at myself too.  The things we do in the heat of the moment....

So I got even w/ this happening by the next day going out and buying a brand new milled face 28 oz Estwing.  I never liked that old one anyway.....(my spin)

We need a “Sledgehammer’s” take on this subject !  With a cool name like that he has to have a favorite hammer of some sort!  My personal favorite is a 20 oz ball pein with a shortened handle. I have had and used it for years and warn all “borrowers” that it is my favorite and it better make it back in my toolbox!

I have bigger hammers in my van, but this little 12 ounce Estwing fits in my tool bag and does what I need it to do: tapping on a wood chisel, driving a few trim nails, Romex staples, etc.

I don't have to frame much, and have a 3 pounder in the van if I need to whack something.

https://www.estwing.com/products/claw-hammer-1

I had a 20 oz estwing before,rang like a tuning fork, drove my father wild.you can fix that by grinding a tiny bit off one claw but the irritant facto was so good I left it alone

6 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

We need a “Sledgehammer’s” take on this subject !  With a cool name like that he has to have a favorite hammer of some sort!  My personal favorite is a 20 oz ball pein with a shortened handle. I have had and used it for years and warn all “borrowers” that it is my favorite and it better make it back in my toolbox!

BJ isn't weighing in here but his favorite hammer is his " ban hammer"

I like a 16oz straight claw Estwing for general carpentry use and a 22oz for framing.  For blacksmithing I use a 2-2.5lb Vaughan cross pein the most but I have ball peins from 4oz to 48oz depending on the job. Otherwise I have a large rack full of hammers just because I like them.

Sledgehammer is the only nickname I ever had growing up.  It wasn't because of hammers but a play on my last name       "St Ledger"

When I was in college, I worked on a framing crew. My uncle bought me my first real hammer when I needed tools to get started but I was broke. I still cherish those tools. Years ago when I was tearing down some buildings on my property, I stuck the hammer in a barn wall by the claw so I wouldn't lose it in the grass and/or hit it with the mower or whatever. Well eventually that wall came down and laid over top the hammer. I looked and looked for it. eventually I gave it up as lost. Then, I burned the pieces of that building and when cleaning up the steel from the burn pile, found the shaft and head; the handle was burned off. 

I begged Estwing to re-handle it, but for obvious reasons (liability) they wouldn't. Broke my heart. I felt like as ass. I took the shaft to the store and matched it up, and my uncle bought me a new, same model, one for Christmas. I watch that thing like a child now.

Also, a stiletto is a knife. It's not a knife designed for utility; it's a knife designed as a weapon -for stabbing. Everything else (shoes, hammers, whatever) is named after the knife. 

We got a Dodge Class A motorhome in 1973, some tech had left a hammer under a rear cushion should have been a fair warning!

Still have all steel Estwing  claw hammer, never really liked the clunky all steel hammers but have to admit it is indestructible.

Just verified it is on the tool rack, 45 years of routine use, probably the oldest constantly used tool I own.

Those Estwings last forever, but are the worst thing for your joints. Orthopedic doctors say to use only wooden handles. I have an $18 Fatmax framer. I haven't been able to break it yet. 

Dad bought me a 22oz Eastwing framer years ago. Still carry it in my toolbox every day. Also have a Plumb with the magnetic nail starter that I like. Seems like it’s an 18. And Dad’s old 16oz Craftsman. You find a hammer you like, you keep it!

Amish Mafia around here has aluminum handled hammers think the head might have a replaceable striking head? all I know is they're expensive but they're real light and they like them and they guard them with their life

Archived