IH 240 Fast Hitch troubles

David in Alabama

Hello! 

Im new to the forums and this is my first post. 

I have a ‘58 240 Utility that I’m completely restoring. I’m having trouble with the hydraulic lift. ( I might also add that I have no clue what I’m doing when it comes to hydraulics)

The system has all new seals, gaskets o-rings and hoses and has cleaned strainer and new filter. The pump has been inspected. The hydraulic oil ( not Hy-tran) is at the correct level. 

The only position I can place the quadrant handle in is fully forward to unload the pump. If I pull it back, it loads and the lift stays put in the down position. I can give the eccentric a little nudge or twist clockwise and the lift will raise until it tops out and the pump remains loaded until I find neutral on the quadrant. ( that position varies ) When I find neutral the lift will leak down to the point that it engages the valve and the lift lowers on its own and bottoms out with the pump loaded and I have to find neutral which is as far forward as the quadrant handle will go. 

I can also take the rear operating rod loose and the lift acts somewhat normal. 

Again, this is a 1958 240 Utility with Fast Hitch and traction control. I have a video but it won’t load here. 

Thank you for any assistance. I’m so close to finishing my restoration and this is the only thing holding me up. 

David 

29363EB9-1849-4E7F-9517-3BA5446B901B.jpeg

2639777D-CD9E-4173-A0A2-E705ADA968FC.jpeg

Cant help you with your hitch troubles but hopefully someone will be along that can soon. Nice looking restoration. Hope you get your problem figured out.

The hydra touch valve for the fast hitch is likely out of time. You will need a book to get it timed correctly. I have heard of people removing the valve and replacing with a regular valve that does not have the rod from the rock shaft to the valve. There can be another reason and that is there should be a double acting check valve to keep the hitch at whatever height you set it at. Our 240 row crop had this get some metal chips in it and it would stay on high pressure. I do not remember if this is like a 560 but there could also be problems with a flow/pressure regulator. There could also be something in the pilot portion of the valve. Also if there is auxiliary valves to have them firmly in Double acting or single for the steering.

Like I said earlier, I’m a novice when it comes to this. The eccentric has a little “slop” or free-play between the forward and rear operating rods. I may try to scatter it and find a way to tighten things up. The check valve ( I think ) is under the seat box. With the bleeding down of the lift I’m wondering if the valve might be bypassing or not seating off as it should. I have no idea what to do about that. I bought a manual for this specific application but it’s for the cable type actuating system. There’s a hole hacked out ( I do mean hacked!) for one of the operating rods so I suspect this was changed from the cable type system. The manual was helpful in identifying some key parts but more for what I do not have as opposed to what I do have. 

Thanks to everybody who commented and offered suggestions. I’m in way over my bed here, I’m afraid.

As a side note, this was my Daddy’s tractor. It got sold with the estate after his death and his best friend purchased it and the rest of our farm equipment. I grew up on this one. 

I asked my Dads friend if he was interested in selling it and he gave it back to me. It sat as a pitiful hulk for a long time and has been in my shop for about 16 years while I slowly gathered parts for a rebuild. Now that the kids are grown and gone I can afford to get her together. 

I fired off the freshly rebuilt engine on my Dad’s Birthday and she runs like a champ!

The hydratouch position control system works a bit differently from the ones on the larger tractors. I had a 240 for a while and tore apart the hydraulics pretty extensively, but I had the fortune of everything working properly when I put it back together.

This does NOT have the "timing" internal to the valve that the larger tractors have. It's just a valve, only difference being I don't think it is spring centered.

All the timing is back at the eccentric on the shaft that goes under the seat and connects the control quadrant to the levers. When you move the quadrant lever, that moves one side of the eccentric, which in turn moves the hydraulic valve and opens it. As the hitch moves, it pushes the other side of the eccentric to close the valve back up when it reaches proper position.

Only two reasons I can think of for your troubles:

1. The slop.

2. You put something back together wrong. I recall it was a %$#@ing %$#@ to get it back together, so if it went together easy for you, you probably did it wrong...

Nice tractor David, I have a farmall 240. What part of AL or you in?

I live just outside of Childersburg...roughly, halfway between Birmingham and Montgomery.

About 30 miles from Talladega speedway. 

Here is one, was running last fall. Has been in his family since 70s, $700 OBO. In Miss, PM me for his number, and if you need help getting it I have a winch, I will help.

Archived