New trade agreement

ArkLa 1086

Saw the news this morning that a new trade deal has been completed between US, Mexico and Canada (USMCA). The news said there was special provisions made for the Canadian dairy market but didn't elaborate. I was wondering if anyone on here knew what changes were made to benefit US producers since all I've read on here has been doom and gloom with more dairy farms going under every week. Also, I would rather not have this turn into a political argument ( I know I've been guilty of taking part in them) just curious if there were any real benefits or improvements made for the US dairy farmers.

I saw that too..  Keep in mind this right now doesnt mean much by my understanding.  Exit from NAFTA into this agreement would have to be approved by congress.  I think that is scheduled to happen before  11-24-18?  so the outgoing pres of mexico can sign.   Thinking it would not be looked at voted on in congress before midterms so...

nov elections could again be HUGE in this.  

Best thing trump ever did is give Trudeau and his trade rep the talking to at the U.N.. Trump understands he is the big dog not everybody else. Kind of refreshing to watch his antics. And by the way is anybody else dealing with trump derangement in their families or work

12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Best thing trump ever did is give Trudeau and his trade rep the talking to at the U.N.. Trump understands he is the big dog not everybody else. Kind of refreshing to watch his antics. And by the way is anybody else dealing with trump derangement in their families or work

Yup

22 minutes ago, dale560 said:

" trump derangement in their families or work"  Trump derangement? If by that you mean them scream and pulling their hair?  Then yes and I love it! Lotta fun triggering them and watching them wig out!

Rick

46 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

" trump derangement in their families or work"  Trump derangement? If by that you mean them scream and pulling their hair?  Then yes and I love it! Lotta fun triggering them and watching them wig out!

Rick

I have 6 sisters and nobody can imagine how vile liberal women can be. It is almost a years entertainment watching their antics. Of course everything wrong in their life must be blamed on two brothers. Because you know men must be shot. The sisters never used to get along. They were always fighting over stealing husbands , boyfriends stealing each other’s marijuana and anything they  could but by golly trump unified them in 18 months something parents couldn’t do in 55 years. So of course if any sisters are at farm first thing we do is switch it to Fox News.

28 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I have 6 sisters and nobody can imagine how vile liberal women can be. It is almost a years entertainment watching their antics. Of course everything wrong in their life must be blamed on two brothers. Because you know men must be shot. The sisters never used to get along. They were always fighting over stealing husbands , boyfriends stealing each other’s marijuana and anything they  could but by golly trump unified them in 18 months something parents couldn’t do in 55 years. So of course if any sisters are at farm first thing we do is switch it to Fox News.

My youngest boy is fixing to get married the end of this month. His fiance has 4 siblings, all females. One is a real liberal airhead. We had a family meet and greet last month. She was told before hand not to start anything with me. Man it was fun. Just about everything she could toss at me I could rebut with actual facts and figures. I thought her head was going to explode! She finally tried to get her husband to fight me. But I guess he didn't want to get into it with a 62 year old disabled person.......I have a lot of fun with people like that.

You guys know I'm opinionated and abrasive. 

Rick

5 hours ago, cjf711 said:

I saw that too..  Keep in mind this right now doesnt mean much by my understanding.  Exit from NAFTA into this agreement would have to be approved by congress.  I think that is scheduled to happen before  11-24-18?  so the outgoing pres of mexico can sign.   Thinking it would not be looked at voted on in congress before midterms so...

nov elections could again be HUGE in this.  

So this 3 way trade has to be ratified by all 3 Federal governments/Congress'? If so we're screwed.

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

My youngest boy is fixing to get married the end of this month. His fiance has 4 siblings, all females. One is a real liberal airhead. We had a family meet and greet last month. She was told before hand not to start anything with me. Man it was fun. Just about everything she could toss at me I could rebut with actual facts and figures. I thought her head was going to explode! She finally tried to get her husband to fight me. But I guess he didn't want to get into it with a 62 year old disabled person.......I have a lot of fun with people like that.

You guys know I'm opinionated and abrasive. 

Rick

I can’t imagine that from you🤔. Actually I would of liked to been a few chairs back with some beer and popcorn telling the kids SHHHHHHH!!!!! I can’t hear...

39 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

So this 3 way trade has to be ratified by all 3 Federal governments/Congress'? If so we're screwed.

My understanding is that yes, all 3 govt have to go through it. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

I can’t imagine that from you🤔. Actually I would of liked to been a few chairs back with some beer and popcorn telling the kids SHHHHHHH!!!!! I can’t hear...

LOL then you really would have liked it when it told her to skip calling to cops, call the ambulance, the cops were going to be way too late! I know at the reception I'm sitting with my back to a wall.

Rick

37 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Brett Kavanaugh could...

And his wife and daughters

1 hour ago, cjf711 said:

My understanding is that yes, all 3 govt have to go through it. 

It would be hard to see the Canadian government voting in favor of allowing US dairy products being allowed to enter the Canadian market. I would figure their dairy producers are hurting already like US dairy farmers are.

Just now, ArkLa 1086 said:

It would be hard to see the Canadian government voting in favor of allowing US dairy products being allowed to enter the Canadian market. I would figure their dairy producers are hurting already like US dairy farmers are.

Liberals have a majority so it will sail straight through. Conservatives want trade and commerce so they won't fight it .

The difference is Canadians have not been able to overproduce and saturate the market thus keeping the prices inflated . The U.S. dairies are like wheat farmers , having to produce more and more produce at lower and lower prices always grasping for more market share . I am an observer not a producer .

25 minutes ago, IKS said:

The difference is Canadians have not been able to overproduce and saturate the market thus keeping the prices inflated . The U.S. dairies are like wheat farmers , having to produce more and more produce at lower and lower prices always grasping for more market share . I am an observer not a producer .

Is that because of a small number of producers in relation to the population size or regulations?

4 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Is that because of a small number of producers in relation to the population size or regulations?

I believe they have a quota system run by the government.

Rick

Yes there is a quota system... if you want to ship more milk you have to buy more quota. It costs $20,000 to $30,000 roughly per cow depending which province you are in. So if you were a new farmer and wanted to milk 100 cows,it would require 2 to 3 million dollars just to buy the quota.

3 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

Yes there is a quota system... if you want to ship more milk you have to buy more quota.

Yea but isn't there a certain quota period? Basically the way I understand it someone has to quit, retire or fail to pass on the quota? Unless the government says yea, population is up we need more?

Rick

Yes I believe there is but dairy farmers are in a spot here... very hard for new farmers to start, but the current ones are terrified of quota prices dropping and they lose all the money they have invested. Sure there are some older guys that are very well off, but for the most part it is a struggle just to stay afloat.

Archived