Sign in to follow this  
red tractor fever

7 Digits

Something else happened the other day when we shuffled the local tractor deck as FarmallTom said it. The BIG IH as another friend calls it now has 7 digits showing on the odometer. We rolled past the million mile mark on the way to Baxter, Iowa that morning. And I couldn't have been happier to have it happen hauling tractors. 

I don't remember right now exactly when we got it but it was fresh in off lease. And the odometer that day read 548,XXX. So we're officially over the million mile mark. And I've put almost half a million miles on it myself.

Some of my friends and acquaintances wonder when we're gonna trade up? But we're not. I've heard enough horror stories about these junk new trucks. This one is here to stay barring a crash or something unexpected.

0927180854.jpg

0927180855.jpg

0927180856.jpg

20180928_125459.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Hope it last you alot more years down the road

23 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Nice Hope it last you alot more years down the road

Thanks and me to. I really like it and have no issues with keeping it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

Something else happened the other day when we shuffled the local tractor deck as FarmallTom said it. The BIG IH as another friend calls it now has 7 digits showing on the odometer. We rolled past the million mile mark on the way to Baxter, Iowa that morning. And I couldn't have been happier to have it happen hauling tractors. 

I don't remember right now exactly when we got it but it was fresh in off lease. And the odometer that day read 548,XXX. So we're officially over the million mile mark. And I've put almost half a million miles on it myself.

Some of my friends and acquaintances wonder when we're gonna trade up? But we're not. I've heard enough horror stories about these junk new trucks. This one is here to stay barring a crash or something unexpected.

0927180854.jpg

0927180855.jpg

0927180856.jpg

20180928_125459.jpg

Congratulations !

Tony

They make new parts everyday!! I’ll never get rid of my 03! 4D1677B2-36D5-440C-A23C-306CF53AC4B2.thumb.jpeg.1975585c839966a9d4fcca4d0fc489fd.jpeg

Unless it’s in a nasty wreck and it can’t be fixed.  I’ll make this one new again.  I’d rather call the bank and borrow$125000 to make this truck new, than $185000 to have something with all the DEF crap! This one I can still do 90% of the work to it! 

And miles don’t mean much to these trucks, I have 1,120,000 on this one! 

2 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

They make new parts everyday!! I’ll never get rid of my 03! 4D1677B2-36D5-440C-A23C-306CF53AC4B2.thumb.jpeg.1975585c839966a9d4fcca4d0fc489fd.jpeg

Unless it’s in a nasty wreck and it can’t be fixed.  I’ll make this one new again.  I’d rather call the bank and borrow$125000 to make this truck new, than $185000 to have something with all the DEF crap! This one I can still do 90% of the work to it! 

And miles don’t mean much to these trucks, I have 1,120,000 on this one! 

Like your truck it's a nice looking rig. Don't blame you at all for keeping it. I feel the same way about my old 95 Dodge pickup and 806. At least I can work on them. This new technology has gone way to far for my old knowledge.  😔

• Thanks 1

Keep fixing your old one. A million miles a truck is just getting broke in.  Look at all the new trucks broke down along the road and in shops.  I have a 2000 kenworth with over 2.5 million miles and we are going to rebuild it this winter. I have several trucks with over a million miles and not even thinking of replacing them. I bought a new truck a couple years ago. and it was broke down more than all the other trucks combined. One of the best days when I sold it. Bought a glider Truck a month ago and putting a 1999 Cummins N14 with 18 speed in it. No electronic log and no emission crap. Lots of guys are doing that. 

2 hours ago, RKO said:

Keep fixing your old one. A million miles a truck is just getting broke in.  Look at all the new trucks broke down along the road and in shops.  I have a 2000 kenworth with over 2.5 million miles and we are going to rebuild it this winter. I have several trucks with over a million miles and not even thinking of replacing them. I bought a new truck a couple years ago. and it was broke down more than all the other trucks combined. One of the best days when I sold it. Bought a glider Truck a month ago and putting a 1999 Cummins N14 with 18 speed in it. No electronic log and no emission crap. Lots of guys are doing that. 

That’s the plan with mine, fix it until there’s nothing left to fix, or no more parts made available.  I even plan to put new frame rails in it if needed.  I’m not upgrading years to downgrade performance and road time!! 

18 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

Thanks and me to. I really like it and have no issues with keeping it. 

Parts to keep it on the road are cheaper than the payment for a newer one that sits in a shop more than running down the road!!! 

3 hours ago, RKO said:

That's definitely the plan. Your 100% correct. Lots of new truck setting on the side of the road broke down and plenty of shop time to. And it'll be a easy plan to execute. I love the truck. Maintaining it so I can keep driving it makes me smile.

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

That’s the plan with mine, fix it until there’s nothing left to fix, or no more parts made available.  I even plan to put new frame rails in it if needed.  I’m not upgrading years to downgrade performance and road time!! 

I'm with you to. If the day comes we need to reframe it then that's what we'll do. And you make a valid point, upgrade in years to downgrade performance makes no sense to me.