Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

NH Oil Undercoating

I have been a devotee of oil undercoating since I was 15 or so,  twice a year. Last year after much encouragement from a friend who swears by it I. Bought a Fluid Film gun and a couple gallons, while I like the product, it doesn't hold up to the spray and dirt hosing it gets here in the winter nearly as well as the oil undercoating I get from my local place. I've been hearing a lot about NH Oil Undercoating, it is apparently a soy based product that is kind of the consistency of  grape jelly. My mechanic uses it on his own vehicles but doesn't sell it as someone else locally does and I also think it's a messier thing than he wants to get into. Has anyone here used it? Do you like it? For my truck I used a gallon of fluid film last year and it was oozing out everywhere.  5 gallons of this is 200 bucks and I figure I'll get 4-5 vehicles out of it. So having it done is around 150 each that seems like a no brainier on cost. The interweb is full of  NHOU tooting their own hom and reviews seem good but they aren't the kind I'm looking for. 

Any input would be great. 

Seth

I've had similar results with the fluid film. I know a town that was using the NH stuff, it seems to stick a little better. I've been experimenting with Corrosion Free, it's odor free and a little bit heavier than the fluid film. I'm still not sure it's better than the oil undercoating, guess time will tell.

I've used fluid film, por15 have had a truck sprayed with krown. I'm thinking about spraying my trucks down with waste oil again.  

I just use my old Hy Tran plus from the tractors. Sprayed on as much of the underside of the vehicle as I can reach. I don't know if it helps but it doesn't hurt. And its free. 

I use to use engine waste oil, then I noticed rubber bushings betting eaten up after only a few seasons. Hytran shouldn't hurt the rubber right?  I might do that next, as I've used flyid film and  por 15 myself with only fair results 

I’ve done oil, for years, it DOES work, I’m just looking for something better.

The por15 is self leveling and is "supposed" to etch into the steel. About 300 bucks for a gallon can if I remember right.  Oil is cheap

3 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Are you guys doing this for rust prevention I assume? 

More of a deterrent. Nothing prevents rust with the junk they put on the roads 

Well that’s true!! Ok that’s interesting, I’ve never thought of this, I don’t know why? To late for my vehicles now, I’ll have to start with the next vehicle!

Hytran sticks much better than motor oil I have found.  I use it to lube the pipe the ramps on my trailer slide on after a hose burst and I noticed how long it stayed on the trailer.

For what it's worth, an auto tech friend of mine insists those coatings only work if applied brand new and continuously maintained.

5 hours ago, KWRB said:

For what it's worth, an auto tech friend of mine insists those coatings only work if applied brand new and continuously maintained.

Agreed

Even when they are new with good undercoating  they still seem to rust from within and bubble up the paint. I dont have a problem with driving through 2 foot of snow.  Plow the roads dont use salt anymore. I don't need the roads bare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krich said:

Even when they are new with good undercoating  they still seem to rust from within and bubble up the paint. I dont have a problem with driving through 2 foot of snow.  Plow the roads dont use salt anymore. I don't need the roads bare.

X2

On 9/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, krich said:

People couldn't handle that!!! They wouldn't be able to drive 80 mph in a snowstorm, they would have to slow down and we can't be having that! The way it works in MI, is once someone gets into an accident on a slippery road, law enforcement will call into central dispatch and ask for salt or something. Then central dispatch will call the local road department and let them know the law enforcement would like some salt or whatever. Once central dispatch calls the road department, now the road department is the liable party for any problems, accidents, due to slippery roads. So, they go salt to prevent it. I don't like putting the salt down, but that's how it works.

1 hour ago, RBootsMI said:

People couldn't handle that!!! They wouldn't be able to drive 80 mph in a snowstorm, they would have to slow down and we can't be having that! The way it works in MI, is once someone gets into an accident on a slippery road, law enforcement will call into central dispatch and ask for salt or something. Then central dispatch will call the local road department and let them know the law enforcement would like some salt or whatever. Once central dispatch calls the road department, now the road department is the liable party for any problems, accidents, due to slippery roads. So, they go salt to prevent it. I don't like putting the salt down, but that's how it works.

They sand here with just enough salt to keep sand from freezing 50 to one of guess...

Vehicles sure look better here...

Don't use Fluid Film on a GM frame!  The frame coating will melt away if you apply  Fluid Film.    Anything thats painted , its very good.  Also dont apply FF to any rubber products, it will make it swell up.

1 minute ago, skippydoo said:

Don't use Fluid Film on a GM frame!  The frame coating will melt away if you apply  Fluid Film.    Anything thats painted , its very good.  Also dont apply FF to any rubber products, it will make it swell up.

I've found this very true on that dumb rubber frame paint

Because we are close to the Canadian boarder and vehicles are more expensive there.  They have a better appreciation for vehicles and maintenance.  There is a product called Oilgard it is rubber safe and dripless.  It also climbs over time.  To me this is the best preventive rust prevention you can do especially since doors, tail gates and hoods start in the bottom where the metal is crimped.

Oilgard

Mix fluid film with 80w90 then it will stick been doing it for years. When its hot in the summer it will continue creep .

On 9/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, KWRB said:

If sprayed on a dirty or wet chassis then it just encapsulates the moisture and frame will still rust. Friend bought a car that was zeibarted and it rotted out under the zeibart coating.