Sign in to follow this  
dale560

More fun with flat tires

11 hours ago, MarkG said:

You do that with your tractor and let me know how it turns out.

i do,and have, and will

it works great

The tires on my Super H Dad and I mounted summer of 1969 or '70. Even put the CaCl back in.  They were rusted tight to the rims!  I worked for several hours just to get the front side, outside bead off. I had the loader bucket off the M, the ends of the loader arms just cleared the beads of the rim.  I took the rim of the SH off the wheel and tried to push it off with the loader on the M.  I thought I was going to push a hole thru the old 4-ply tires, so loaded it up and took it to the tire shop. $25 got it off without damage. Blasted and painted rims, another $25 at the tire shop got the tire mounted with my new tube in it. I took the rim/tire off the other side, it was full of fluid still, $25 to demount, blasted & painted rim, $25 to remount with new tube.

I'd like to put new tires on the M, would take rims and old tires to the shop. Bet I'd be in/out in an hour.

28 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

i do,and have, and will

it works great

If tire is shot I have driven it out of field and it usually works. We have one coop that has a tire truck in our town and a private guy that does tires 40 miles away. 200 if any fluid pumping is involved and 100 plus minimum on any tractor rear. It works out to about 500 to have a 18.4 38 changed on tractor and old fluid pumped out and in. With mileage and labor. We have most of the stuff to change tires just need more modern stuff.

This is our bead breaker we used from our tire shop. It works by 1/2" impact or ratchet. Also two last buckets of the tire soap. And a picture of the 30.5r32 tires going our 1566 we just painted the rims. Hopefully the overspray will rinse off the tire soap we smeared on the tire

IMG_20180925_104200407.jpg

IMG_20180925_104212529.jpg

IMG_20180925_104250365.jpg

I got a manual one from Easco I believe........works so well that I have no interest in a hydraulic one.  I make more renting it out than I do using it myself!   

In some ways the hydraulic one fits in when the mechanical one won't. That's the only disadvantage we have seen. Hydraulic is slightly more convenient and quicker but for how little we use it for it's fine. Our tire guys new prices are good and include mounting with a single service call charge (was $50 now it is $75 I believe) no matter how many you buy 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

This is our bead breaker we used from our tire shop. It works by 1/2" impact or ratchet. Also two last buckets of the tire soap. And a picture of the 30.5r32 tires going our 1566 we just painted the rims. Hopefully the overspray will rinse off the tire soap we smeared on the tire

IMG_20180925_104200407.jpg

IMG_20180925_104212529.jpg

IMG_20180925_104250365.jpg

That looks like a heavy duty manual breaker. We buy the soap by buckets to but last time my bucket got knocked over and washed half a bucket away. Between machinery and trucks we probably mount 100 to 200 tires a year most get recycled from pickups to wagons and such.So get well versed on mounting them will have to try mounting my rear tires tubeless from now on.

Dale we had trouble with one used 18-46 this summer and I had to take a used tube we have laying around and stuff it in the tire , blew it up and stretched it wider. Went home to lunch and we mounted the second bead after lunch and it took tubeless then

6 hours ago, bitty said:

In some ways the hydraulic one fits in when the mechanical one won't. That's the only disadvantage we have seen. Hydraulic is slightly more convenient and quicker but for how little we use it for it's fine. Our tire guys new prices are good and include mounting with a single service call charge (was $50 now it is $75 I believe) no matter how many you buy 

My mechanical one is less than half the size of that one, who made that?

21 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Wife just bought me a bead breaker that works with an impact for my birthday. I haven't used it yet but look forward to it. All I have used in the past is a slidehammer style like you have pictured. I spent an honest 4 hours straight breaking beads on my 1256 (both rear tires had been on for at least 20 years and rusted hard) I could barely move my arms the next day. I have only broken beads on a couple dozen ag tires using the slidehammer but my old man has done hundreds over the years. He is generally against anything new, but he welcomed the idea of a better way to break beads.

XB-550-348x348.png

I have an older model of this------works very well---I have many tires using the bead buster

On 9/25/2018 at 7:32 PM, TP from Central PA said:

My mechanical one is less than half the size of that one, who made that?

This is the only markings on it

IMG_20181002_143250432.jpg