Sign in to follow this  
dale560

More fun with flat tires

Had a new tire to put on front of 7130. We bought both of them a couple years ago when other side went flat. Bought 2 new tubes and ended up buying another because other tube had dry rotted already. I don’t mind mounting tires. It is a job I can do myself and save some money. With all the saved money I am going to buy a better bead breaker.

7D8F2D2A-1684-4FAD-B7B1-806E18F95DA5.jpeg

023D12A8-D675-49AF-A4A0-57AF216AAFF4.jpeg

532F6183-DD75-41E2-8CA5-F2C8B2EC1DA3.jpeg

3767F248-3080-4102-A1DA-45F6AE1098B7.jpeg

You’ve already got a better bead breaker than me! The last tire I used an air chisel to get the bead off😟

I use a rock bar and a t post driver🏋️♂️  It doesn’t work worth a damn. Lol

i have a good tire shop fairly close that doesn’t charge nearly enough.  I send him Xmas cards. 

This would be 100 or more if you took it in 250 minimum to have truck come out. I mount 99. 5 % of our tires. That yellow ken tool slam bar has worked on more than a few lock ring truck rims.

Out of seven Magnums with 6 tires each we have only 2 tires with tubes. Only the duals on the 7140 mixer tractor that were bent enough to goof up the bead area. Tubes suck, doesn't matter what brand that we have ever seen. We gave up with tubes in the early 2000s 

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

This would be 100 or more if you took it in 250 minimum to have truck come out. I mount 99. 5 % of our tires. That yellow ken tool slam bar has worked on more than a few lock ring truck rims.

Ouch. My guy last year dismounted 2 18.4/38’s. He knocked the rust off both of them and painted them on inside with red oxide Also welded a washer around valve stem due to rust. Sucked the calcium out and after he re mounted them filled them with methanol for $80.00. FOR BOTH! I gave him a $100 bill and a pat on the back.  BUT I spend several thousand a year there on tires for farm. 

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Had a new tire to put on front of 7130. We bought both of them a couple years ago when other side went flat. Bought 2 new tubes and ended up buying another because other tube had dry rotted already. I don’t mind mounting tires. It is a job I can do myself and save some money. With all the saved money I am going to buy a better bead breaker.

7D8F2D2A-1684-4FAD-B7B1-806E18F95DA5.jpeg

023D12A8-D675-49AF-A4A0-57AF216AAFF4.jpeg

532F6183-DD75-41E2-8CA5-F2C8B2EC1DA3.jpeg

3767F248-3080-4102-A1DA-45F6AE1098B7.jpeg

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/AIR-HYDRAULIC-BEAD-BREAKER-KIT

We have this bead breaker at work.  I’m sure it is not American made but it works good and is priced super well for the occasional user.

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

Out of seven Magnums with 6 tires each we have only 2 tires with tubes. Only the duals on the 7140 mixer tractor that were bent enough to goof up the bead area. Tubes suck, doesn't matter what brand that we have ever seen. We gave up with tubes in the early 2000s 

Our tire guy will only use tubes as a last resort.  He says tractor tires aren’t even made for tubes any more.  The insides are too rough and radials flex too much and wear the tubes out.  At work it is usually the rims that cause us to have to put tubes in.  They seem to work better in front tires than rears.

15 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/AIR-HYDRAULIC-BEAD-BREAKER-KIT

We have this bead breaker at work.  I’m sure it is not American made but it works good and is priced super well for the occasional user.

Our tire guy will only use tubes as a last resort.  He says tractor tires aren’t even made for tubes any more.  The insides are too rough and radials flex too much and wear the tubes out.  At work it is usually the rims that cause us to have to put tubes in.  They seem to work better in front tires than rears.

That is exactly what I want to buy. I would mount them tubeless. But I need to buy a bigger air cannon. 

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

if your going to put new tires on , let the air out and drive the tractor

wala

You do that with your tractor and let me know how it turns out.

10 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That is exactly what I want to buy. I would mount them tubeless. But I need to buy a bigger air cannon. 

We have an air chuck that fits over the big part of the water valve.  Helps a lot.  185 cfm air compressor doesn’t hurt on the tough ones either.

These tires were stuck on there pretty hard. The bead breaker we have is pretty good but hard to setup. Takes about 5 minutes to get set. Paid 150 bucks for it and has done about 50 tires now so it paid for itself. Here one shop charges 75 to mount a 11 22.5 truck tire other shop is around 25 but tractor tires are expensive. Any liquid is another couple 100 for dealing with it. Back in my younger days the slam hammer sideways was all we used. I have one rear tire to change yet and all new Firestone’s  will be on.

Had a 425/22.5 mounted for one of my wagons last week bought a used tire from them and it was 48.50 to mount it .If we have a 18.4 x42 repaired on the farm it will run 350 to 500$  no fluid I fix my own unless we are super busy

Wife just bought me a bead breaker that works with an impact for my birthday. I haven't used it yet but look forward to it. All I have used in the past is a slidehammer style like you have pictured. I spent an honest 4 hours straight breaking beads on my 1256 (both rear tires had been on for at least 20 years and rusted hard) I could barely move my arms the next day. I have only broken beads on a couple dozen ag tires using the slidehammer but my old man has done hundreds over the years. He is generally against anything new, but he welcomed the idea of a better way to break beads.

XB-550-348x348.png

My other thing we. Are going to buy is a better tire machine for the little tires. The one we have now is a 50 year old bishman. Want to get a better one to handle modern rims.

A tire machine is on my short list as well. I mount all our tires with spoons and slidehammer which is fine, just time consuming. I use a bubble balacer and soft air bbs in the pickup tires. Wife's Jeep gets the tires balanced at walmart. 

Edit: should also add that I use A LOT of old tires on equipment so I am very practiced at changing and patching tires haha.

tire-changing-tools-ken-tool-drop-center-tire-mount-demount-spoons-2_large.jpeg

4 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Wife just bought me a bead breaker that works with an impact for my birthday. I haven't used it yet but look forward to it. All I have used in the past is a slidehammer style like you have pictured. I spent an honest 4 hours straight breaking beads on my 1256 (both rear tires had been on for at least 20 years and rusted hard) I could barely move my arms the next day. I have only broken beads on a couple dozen ag tires using the slidehammer but my old man has done hundreds over the years. He is generally against anything new, but he welcomed the idea of a better way to break beads.

XB-550-348x348.png

I've used one of those before. Might be a different brand but same setup. Worked very well. Still not a air/hyd one that we got now, but I would like to buy one to keep on hand. Works pretty slick

Anything beats the ole slide hammer haha

For beading up the tires you want a five gallon bucket of tire soap (concentrated , it has the consistency of grease) . Remove the complete core, thread on the outside of the tractor core a 3/8" air chuck fitting by 1/4" female pipe thread. Then proceed to block the escape of all air around the bead area with the tire soap. Hook the air hose to the fitting and as it beads up CAREFULLY scoop all the tire soap back up and throw it back in the bucket for the next tire. Almost 100% of the soap is saved for the next ones in most cases

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

Ether is cheap, not osha approved but super functional 

16 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ether is cheap, not osha approved but super functional 

I have never had much luck with ether mounting tires. I think the key is you have to wait a couple seconds for it to vaporize before lighting it. 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

I have never had much luck with ether mounting tires. I think the key is you have to wait a couple seconds for it to vaporize before lighting it. 

I’m convinced it’s the newer ether. Old stuff just worked better!?  My tire guy I bragged about uses a bead hammer I guess you call it. It’s the wide narrow hammer. He swings it and you’ll think man if he misses he’s gonna trash the rim. But he never does, he will knock the paint off the bead side he gets so close. Last time I watched him do both sets I finally ask him if he’s ever missed, he just slowly turned around and smiled. I laughed. 

6 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I’m convinced it’s the newer ether. Old stuff just worked better!?  My tire guy I bragged about uses a bead hammer I guess you call it. It’s the wide narrow hammer. He swings it and you’ll think man if he misses he’s gonna trash the rim. But he never does, he will knock the paint off the bead side he gets so close. Last time I watched him do both sets I finally ask him if he’s ever missed, he just slowly turned around and smiled. I laughed. 

Truck tire guys get real good with the hammer it is an acquired art. I just never felt comfortable with one.

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Truck tire guys get real good with the hammer it is an acquired art. I just never felt comfortable with one.

Yes. He changed a set of 6 truck tires about as fast as a car.