leeave96

Duals, 720 Plow and Wheel Spacing...

IH 720 plow - from what I gather, sounds like a pretty good plow, especially ones with automatic reset.  High trash clearance, maybe pull harder than a similar Oliver.  Is the 720 the cat’s meow for these 56, 66 and 86 tractors?  Parts readily available?  Other than automatic tripping, any features, options to look out for or avoid?  What is a good companion disc you’d recommend to go with this plow?  Hayfield renovation, so turning under sod and starting over.

Dual wheels - sometimes I see pics and videos of these IH tractors with duals on the left side and a single wheel on the right - in the furrow plowing.  What/when are you compelled to use dual rear wheels?  Is this traction driven, floatation driven or both?  I’ve seen tractors with duals and the inside tire is full of tread, the outside tires looked wore out and that made me think more floatation than traction.  When do you run duals?

Rear wheel spacing.  What width do you typically set between your rear wheels - side to side?  Sometimes it looks like the wheels are really tucked under the fenders and other times it appears the wheels are almost completely outside of the fender.  Where do you set the spacing on your rear wheels and why?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

I don't believe they pull any harder than a Oliver/white.......and I have pulled both over a lot of acres over the years.  I find the auto reset on IH's smoother than a White though, although I would say White might be built a tad better.  I only ran the dual on the land side because as soon as the moldboard came off, the duals had to go on, so why take off anymore than needed?  I also modified the hitches on all the in furrow plows to pull them with the tread set for 30" rows, saved the work of moving wheels which needed to be set for wide rows for most plows.  Unlike some believe, on the bigger plows they still pull straight and work well, landslides might see a tad more wear on the pads, but not enough to to consider not doing it IMO.  If you don't have a lot of rocks, toggle trip will work for you and they make the plow cheaper usually, although they don't bring much now days in either version.

I just bought a 540 IH plow for my JD 4010. Wheel spacing is 26 inches from center to inside sidewall. How do i set the plow up to plow decent without moving the tires?

I run an IH 710 4-18 toggle trip.  It does a nice job.  720 has move clearance and if you have rocks, the auto reset is nice.  It is the Cadillac of plows.  We have no rocks, so no problem with the toggle. Mold boards and other wear parts are available.

I run tractor tread at  "30 inch centers with my 710 no problem at all 

The single dual was used because the one wheel slipped easier than the other. The idea was to equalize traction with one tire up on sod and the other down in the soft soil.

most guys leave the left dual on for convenience. Takes time to pull it of and on. It usually doesn’t touch the ground so it doesn’t really do anything. 

jerry

Left dual was left on for reasons already stated. As far as moving right wheels out ( front and rear) you just need them out enough to be able to adjust hitch on furrow plow to cut correct amount with front bottom. Back when we still plowed with 5 bottom furrow hitches I think I set my right wheels to fit down the center of rows if the rows would have been 34". We also moved pull beam closer to first bottom by one bolt hole on that piece of flat steel that goes between plow beam and pull beam. Hooking low at hitch and moving pull beam towards furrow made them run straight and not overcut so much in rubbery spots in field. Maybe that's why I could never leave wheels for 30" rows.

How many furrows is your plow?  Operators manual shows you all the answers and can be had for $20 or so. Below are wheel width recommendations and some setup for a 5 furrow plow for example. 

B8E5BFEF-81D3-4945-B458-073744D1A5C7.jpeg

BD483AA3-0EB8-410B-BA68-6C4D36C73764.jpeg

34A78AA4-F4CE-4442-9C42-E497BA45A779.jpeg

6193F5AD-3416-4173-A9B4-6AF073A0BEC5.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I run an IH 710 4-18 toggle trip.  It does a nice job.  720 has move clearance and if you have rocks, the auto reset is nice.  It is the Cadillac of plows.  We have no rocks, so no problem with the toggle. Mold boards and other wear parts are available.

Never saw a 710 toggle trip, I didn't think toggle trip came out till the 720. thought the 710 was only offered in auto reset or what we called spring trip .  Backing up to reset is what we called spring trip like our #70 plows were.

26 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Never saw a 710 toggle trip, I didn't think toggle trip came out till the 720. thought the 710 was only offered in auto reset or what we called spring trip .  Backing up to reset is what we called spring trip like our #70 plows were.

Neighbor has a 710 without the spring trip.   It has the old style beams vs the toggle trip. Never seen a spring trip plow around here since we are lucky and have no rocks.  Just enough topography change that when no-till or minimum tillage practices started the plows all went into the sheds here. No large scale plowing since the 70’s in my area. 

Knowing how to set up a plow properly and knowing how to plow and what a good plowing job should look like are all dying arts.  The farm I worked for bought a neighboring farm about ten years ago. We harvested the crops they planted that spring and could not figure out why some of those fields were so rough. Come to find out when they plowed the fields out of hay they used a different tractor than they usually used and the wheel spacing was way off. The driver didn't know any better and just drove in the furrow like he always did. I couldn't imagine disking the fields behind the plow, as it was it took nearly three years to get them !evel again.

14 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

You are probably right about the terminology.  Since we don't have rocks I have never even tripped one, but I know you back up to reset it.  We don't do a lot of plowing, just a little organic land and scrub land being put back into production.