MTO

Massey Harris fans

have redone a couple of Massey Harris, Colt and a Mustang

IMG_0345.thumb.JPG.584c287bae68bb7422f4810ce32332df.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gordon76 said:

Beautiful job on those 2 tractors Gordon!

Are those newer/older bigger/smaller than this 33?

I see no grille screen in those either.

I have yet to find any pics of MH with screens in the grilles as stated above.

15 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It’s marking it’s new territory, when it stops, it’s empty.

Above pic is from C/L ad.

It`s full of fluids and has yet to leak on my shop floor. 

Dunno...

years ago we had a little 81 and a 44 both narrow front ends very hard to turn the 44 but could pull a 3 bottom plow, then after they were gone we got a 333 with a wide front end was a decent tractor.

Seller also has a healthy 44 he used to pull regularly. 501 ci.

He sadly has to let it go also... cancer. 

00K0K_57yVhZtB8wO_600x450.jpg

I think this is a 101 or 102 junior or senior Massey. Parked in a field in this part of the country. 

Massey.JPG

First serious tractor I ever drove was a 44.  The guy who I was helping didnt think I could stack on the wagon so he had me drive baler.

He just showed me where the clutch was and what gear to use and told me once how to turn wide at the corners which I did the first time.  I looked back at him to get his reaction and he was just grinning!  Made me feel great!  It was a big day for a city boy turned farm hand!

He the farm owner also had a Colt wide front.

I own a Massey 85 high crop with a Paulson loader today.

19 hours ago, gordon76 said:

Yeah, a Colt!  2nd tractor I ever drove.  Raking hay.

The Colt and and Mustang were competitive with the Super C, 200, 230 tractors in power. The old 81 preceded them and competed with the Farmall C tractor but with a little more HP. My uncle looked at buying one in 1957 but waited a year and bought an IH 330 utility in 1958 because of the live PTO an heavier transmission and a bit more power. In retrospect he should have bought the 350 utility.  The only criticism I ever had of the MH of Racine tractors was they didn't install valve rotators in the 44 until the 1953 model year. That was a huge improvement in the Continental 260 engine and made a real lugger out of the 44.   

12 hours ago, MTO said:

about the same years as the 33, smaller tractors Colt/21, Mustang/23, The factory screen on these (form the literature i have seen) went on the outside of the grill

I have a Massey 20. it was donated to a local fire dept as a fundraiser. FD had no bites and wife where it resided wanted it out of her yard. I offered $800 and it was mine. runs good, and back tires (32" iirc) were like new.

m h 20.JPG

• Like 1

Wish I could find pictures of the #55 Massey Bill or Perry Nord used to run tractor pulling back in the late '60's and 1970's.  They had a W-9 IH too.  I forget which had what engine combination.  One ran a pair of 427 Chevy's other a pair of 409 Chevies. Both won pulling against the other, and against Bill Newlon with his Allison powered UB Minny then G-1000.

You can see a nice looking 55 I recorded pulling at the 1992 vintage tractor pulls in this video. Right about the 3:56 mark just after the WD9 McCormick. The MH had the big "rice tires". I think about a 23.1x26. 

• Like 1

1811800952_IMG_2729(2).JPG.81fbddca4ea4a41839f277375f0986df.JPGThis is the 55 Massey gasser that I restored a couple years ago.  I did the complete restoration on the restoration portion of the forum here.  Anyway, being an IH guy, I had to do it because my dad bough this baby new and it took me nearly 30 years to get my hands on it.  It is the first tractor that I ever plowed with and at the time Dad bought it, it was the largest tractor in our county.

jerry

On 9/24/2018 at 7:51 AM, MTO said:

You've got me questioning my own memory now. Yet I'm sure I've seen some with the fine mesh screen behind the wide grille bars. Next time I'm at my brother's place I'll try to remember to look at his triple 4 to see if it has it. I thought I saw some in that MH video that UC posted too. 

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, Loadstar said:

Those 44 Masseys were everywhere here in Sask. in the fifties and sixties. Never saw many 33s and only the big farmers had the 55. Seems to me originally they had some fine screen in between those grille bars and they just don't look right without that to my thinking. 

This one made it's way down the Trans Canada Highway on the tail of a double drop trailer 3 years ago. Came from Rosetown area. Not many clean original models in our neck of the woods.

IMG_4170.JPG

Gave her a bumper to bumper going over, fixed/adjusted/cleaned/topped off/tightened and took her home. 

May just hook the MC flail mower to it and see what balls she has. 

I put a fuse in the headlight circuit and they all work! Even the red tail light.

Couldn`t believe it...

I really like the gear ratio better than the H or M. 

5th is plenty fast for the road but not the big gap between 4th and 5th like the Farmall. 

Shift pattern sucks. Will take a LOT of getting used to.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, 1026ON said:

This one made it's way down the Trans Canada Highway on the tail of a double drop trailer 3 years ago. Came from Rosetown area. Not many clean original models in our neck of the woods.

Looks like the typical MH 44 that we saw so many of. I see that one has the screen on the outside of the grille. Likely installed by the owner after the original inside got damaged. This ad frp, 1954 shows the big 3. 

54 MH tractors.jpg

• Thanks 1

At the 4 minute point in this video they explain the reason for the grille screens. 

• Thanks 1