Sign in to follow this  
cd3456

f250 tow bar

hello everyone,

With the days of harvest coming around again, we are in the process of moving from field to field, and getting tired of multiple trips back and forth getting vehicles and such..  I am looking to build some tow bars or buy possibly even for ford f-250 superduty's.  Just curious if anyone is using anything like this or some pictures of what you have done..  Thanks and have a great harvest everyone!

County has some on 3/4 tons I would guess 1/4 wall 2 inch tubing triangle with center tube back to pivot... I would guess bolted where tow hooks go. Folds up so tongue is up to a foot above hood... They tow em behind graders...

That's what I've been thinking of doing, but I would like to keep the tow hooks if possible.  I have 4 of them I would like to build, but couple of them have thunderstuck grill guard/bumpers on them also.  Thinking about using 2 inch like you said but using a smaller tube on one side that slides inside the other so they will collapse a bit more.

Maybe a heavy plate. Or angle between tow hook and mount. Or and a clevis pin hole below hinge point.

As far as telescoping inch a half. Seems small if you turn sharp.

If No neutral on transfer case I leave idling in neutral.

I agree with the telescope idea maybe not strong enough to be safe. There is a lot of stress sideways on the hitch. Custom guys near here have had on a s10 and then a 3500hd . In both cases it's a rugged setup they made. I don't have any pics and we have been using another guy for spreading since last cutting so I will have to wait till I see him for a few pics

Local outfit here builds their own.  Probably a couple dozen or more by now. A heavy  plate between hooks and the frame. A piece welded at a 90 vertically for the pivot. 2"tube crossways and angled braces. 2.5" tube forward long enough to be above the hood. 2" tube pinned inside as a collapsible draw bar. Can make several with different  hitch options. Whole thing is pinned to the mounting brackets for removal or can be pinned vertically to leave it on. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I could probably get phone number, they might be willing to give advice. 

Look up military tow bar in google.   Yes it’s heavier than you wanted, but it is full of good ideas.   Tractors turn sharp and bringing the front of a truck around is a huge amount of force.  

An “A” frame that hooked onto the front rails of a truck and pivots up and down might meet your needs, and they sell a lot of them online, but i would really stop to think about who is driving and in what conditions.  Seems like it could go very wrong in a short period of time with today’s frames that absorb impact in a collision 

All the Fords around here have tow hooks in the front. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MTO said:

All the Fords around here have tow hooks in the front. :ph34r:

Handy. So you don't have to turn around while pulling other makes out of the ditch!😁

44 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Handy. So you don't have to turn around while pulling other makes out of the ditch!😁

Yes, but you really shouldn't pull backing up.  But you can push for all they're worth.