Sign in to follow this  
TP from Central PA

Half Century of Progress question.....

Would really like to go to this next one, but I was wondering if you have to reserve a golf cart well ahead of time or are there plenty?   I never been there, but from pictures and video I have seen walking would really limit what you could see?  Know a few here attend and would like the insider info on it?  I am not going to haul our Gator or golf cart out there from PA if we go.

Best to reserve one. A lot of walking otherwise. 

• Like 1

We walked it the first time (2015) and had to plan our day out. Second time (2017) I took a Polaris Ranger and still didn't see it all. I would say a cart is highly recommended but they will let you drive anything with insurance smaller than a car for the most part. There was a manure spreader with a Chevy 305 and a Narrow front on it driving around last year.  I kind of want to take the Fat Cat next time but the plowed fields would be a little rough. 

They do run shuttle wagons so you don't have to walk all of it. I drove one several years ago. I picked up these 3 gents and I could not get rid of them,  of course I didn't really have a planned route so I took them wherever they wanted to go. I finally told them that I was parking it so I could eat. They said that they would wait for me to eat, but I said  sorry my  shift was over. I had been driving for 6 hours and I was done. They were good fellas and we all had a  good time. Of course I picked up many other people, but these guys just stayed on my  shuttle. If you  go I would recommend offering to drive a shuttle. They always need help and it can be a fun way to see the show. 

I highly recommend going, even if you walk you can stop by the trailer and rest for a bit.  I always enjoy going but don't get to see much being a vendor.

How soon in the future can a cart be reserved?  I assume they truck all those in from quite a distance so they would need some led time?

Pete, I would stop.............maybe my brother will need parts and I could charge him to haul them back to PA and pay for my trip!😆

They are only an hour away if its the one big cart rental company. One year we walked in on Sunday am and rented one on the spot. 

17 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

How soon in the future can a cart be reserved?  I assume they truck all those in from quite a distance so they would need some led time?

Pete, I would stop.............maybe my brother will need parts and I could charge him to haul them back to PA and pay for my trip!😆

Bloomberg is closer, but you can still charge him delivery fees.  My dad was like a kid in a candy store the first year we went.  There was 28 pickers going across the field that he saw the first year.  

2 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

Bloomberg is closer, but you can still charge him delivery fees.  My dad was like a kid in a candy store the first year we went.  There was 28 pickers going across the field that he saw the first year.  

Oh, him and his cronies will be sleeping at the gate a week before they open Bloomsburg so I can steal anything from him there.  I would bum a ride, but he would probably charge me............That is ok, I will grind my feed and haul crap with his green ones before he gets back!

Guess my wife is worrying about nothing when it comes to the cart then.  I wasn't sure, man there is alot of them running around in the youtube's from there!

They have plenty of carts after that show they load up and head to the Farm Progress Show with them.

I was told 100,000 carts and 300,000 people went in and out in 2017. That was according to a gate worker. Many people bring their own transportation though. 

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was told 100,000 carts and 300,000 people went in and out in 2017. That was according to a gate worker. Many people bring their own transportation though. 

What ever you do Tyler stay away from this guy!  You'll walk in circles all day from him talking one leg off!  😂The best part of the show is meeting everyone.  It's pretty relaxed cause every one is there to have fun.

• Haha 1

Unless you're going to be driving something without a trailer hitch, I would think it would be cheaper to rent a trailer to haul your Gator, than to rent a golf cart for all four days.

The F-250 didn't even know I had a trailer behind it when I hauled my Gator from Colorado to the 2013 HCOP, and I don't think it used five gallons of gas in the four days we were there.

8 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

What ever you do Tyler stay away from this guy!  You'll walk in circles all day from him talking one leg off!  😂The best part of the show is meeting everyone.  It's pretty relaxed cause every one is there to have fun.

Whether it was my fault or not (sometimes I was heckled by a guy with a big white trailer and a bunch of dynos)  I spent more time socializing than looking at tractors.  That is the fun part for me. In my opinion, I would rent a cart or have a ride of some sort worked out. 

7 hours ago, Art From DeLeon said:

Unless you're going to be driving something without a trailer hitch, I would think it would be cheaper to rent a trailer to haul your Gator, than to rent a golf cart for all four days.

The F-250 didn't even know I had a trailer behind it when I hauled my Gator from Colorado to the 2013 HCOP, and I don't think it used five gallons of gas in the four days we were there.

No hitch on my wife's BMW car.................I would never make it there going out 80 in a truck through PA!  

I know some guys from the site have rented before.  Tony got one when he came in 2017 from CA. Lots of people bring their own but you don't have to at all. 

Go to Half Century of Progress web site for info. A phone # Is listed for cart rentals. I reserved 2carts for the 2017 show but was able to cancel them when my plans changed for no cost. Have been to the show twice & really enjoyed it. Would recommend a cart.

14 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

No hitch on my wife's BMW car.................I would never make it there going out 80 in a truck through PA!  

Oh 80 isnt that bad in the middle of summer if you get lucky you may only sit in construction for like maybe 8 hours! And then get through it to sit in a wreck! Lol

Tyler, my brother and I took his old golf cart on the back of his 3500 Dodge flatbed when we went last year. granted, we went across the southern tier on NY 17. not that far up 15 for you.

best tractor show I have ever been to. lots of red power friends there. 

A  friend of mine and I went in 2017 . We hauled his golf cart in the bed of my pickup from Ontario,  Canada. We were glad we had it. We covered a lot of ground on the site  we would not have walked. Make sure to book your hotel early. We ended up staying about 50 miles away, it wasn't a bad drive but there are closer rooms if you book early.

I would suggest you book the cart ahead of time so you are sure to have one and don't have to put in time waiting or being disappointed and having to walk.

It is one huge show! You certainly want to see it all. 

Oh and Bill I think Larry's cart might keep up to yours another time!

• Haha 1

Link? Got to schedule vacation for next year. I keep telling myself one day I'm making HCOP.