Sign in to follow this  
Pete1468

Who else procrastinates on getting combine ready

Started tonight, got the combine out and started looking at it.  Always seems like I get really busy the end of the summer.  My beans are around 10 days out.

KIMG0037.JPG

14 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Started tonight, got the combine out and started looking at it.  Always seems like I get really busy the end of the summer.  My beans are around 10 days out.

KIMG0037.JPG

Me

Me too. Got mine home 2 weeks ago and haven't hardly had a chance to check it over. Beans maybe a week or so away yet. I have some hail damaged corn that looks really dry, probably close to 25% or so. That hail really accelerated the corn maturity. 

My corn tested 30% Friday night and forty acres I combine for a friend was 20%.  That was a hand tester so I figured add 2% and throw 4 or so days of 90 sunny and little wind it should go.

Usually bring ours out the middle of July and get them shined up. Look them over real good as I'm waxing and cleaning them making notes of what I need to do. Then July through august I fix on them when I get time. Always find something I missed during harvest though. Nothing to major so far this year but we're only 1/4 done too.

Usually bring ours out the middle of July and get them shined up. Look them over real good as I'm waxing and cleaning them making notes of what I need to do. Then July through august I fix on them when I get time. Always find something I missed during harvest though. Nothing to major so far this year but we're only 1/4 done too.

that's why I usually work on them in the shop in the winter takes a while but I give them a good look through then in the fall turn the key and giv'er 

Me for one. I knew my 1660's pto seal was leaking oil like a sieve all last harvest but I didn't start taking it apart until a few weeks before I needed it in the field. Guess the fact that I have the JD 7721 pull type as a back up made me lazy to get started on the 1660. 

Neighbor pre-flights combines including his, and several neighbors all summer, so not unusual to see green combines in his shop all summer.  Guess the new red combines showing up around the neighborhood never break down.  Be interesting to see if the tenant around me runs his 1666 again this year.

When I still farmed I liked to go after the combine as soon as we were done and whatever fall tillage we could do was out of the way.  Nice to have it basically ready to just fire up and go to the field the next year.

Somehow something always managed to go haywire just sitting in the shed after we got done with it though.😖

I get mine ready the 1st rainy spell after I have begun harvest

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

I get mine ready the 1st rainy spell after I have begun harvest

Same here. Goes for a the haying equipment also.

I guess you could say the guy I help does. Just traded his 9610 for a 7120 on Saturday. He’s always had green machines so the learning curve will begin..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Wet load was 19.1 so far

So what you're saying Darin is you're almost done and are headed this way to help?

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I guess you could say the guy I help does. Just traded his 9610 for a 7120 on Saturday. He’s always had green machines so the learning curve will begin..

A big improvement. There were tons of 9600 and newer JD walkers. They are mostly gone to Mexico now. 

We pull our combine out of the shed the same day that the neighbors start harvesting.  (This past Saturday this year.)

23 minutes ago, dale560 said:

A big improvement. There were tons of 9600 and newer JD walkers. They are mostly gone to Mexico now. 

Oh I get promoted to the 9550 now....

34 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We pull our combine out of the shed the same day that the neighbors start harvesting.  (This past Saturday this year.)

Sounds familiar haha. Should be combining but busy fixing what needed attention last year lol

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Sounds familiar haha. Should be combining but busy fixing what needed attention last year lol

Dont feel alone im always 3 days late telling myself you know you could did this the other day instead of whatever you did that really didnt need done but you thats what you wanted to do! And working a day job playing farmer sucks! 

As mine is sitting in the shed with a flat tire and dead battery... nope not me! 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

So what you're saying Darin is you're almost done and are headed this way to help?

I wish the beans will be a week or two yet there still holding on there leaves 

I need to start high moisture corn for a neighbor next week..... I did start it on Sunday.... it ran.....