kansas farmer

Added cost of farming deer country

Anyone that farms deer country has at one time or another picked up a shed with a tractor tire, I found this one mowing prairie hay with my 1947 Farmall H.

The most expensive one I can remember was a friend got one between the dual rear tires of his tractor ruining both tires!! 

shed antler.jpg

Edited by kansas farmer
Was my 1947 H not my Super H that found the shed

I am sorry about that. If I lived closer I would offer to help shed hunt as it is a close second to hunting for ones still attached to the deer . Looks like it was a decent sized one and that's probably why it's more likely to be a tire ruiner 

Done that a number of times too. Best one got stuck in a combine tire. Done a few tractor front and rear tires too.

The solution isn't much better than the problem. Picked up a broadhead in a tractor rear here last year. Of course it has to be in the expensive Firestone, not the junky Galaxy.

Yup, picked one up between pickup duals, went right through the sidewall. At least it was only one tire and was able to drive home.

Caught one in the lug several years back drilling beans. Caught the lug then hit the extremity light which scared the crap outta me. Took a bit to figure out what had happened. and then to find the shed.

Ruined a front tire a few years ago

Friend put on brand new 20.8x38s last year. 3 days later ran over an antler and was hurrying home before the tire went flat and ventilated the block on his 7020 Allis. That is a bad day right there...

• Sad 1

My 9 year old nephew Got this one last spring discing with the 1086, both front and rear tires and yes the rear where brand new two weeks prior.

20180607_202240.jpg

20180607_202224.jpg

20180607_202247.jpg

15 hours ago, kansas farmer said:

Anyone that farms deer country has at one time or another picked up a shed with a tractor tire, I found this one mowing prairie hay with my 1947 Farmall H.

The most expensive one I can remember was a friend got one between the dual rear tires of his tractor ruining both tires!! 

shed antler.jpg

If the beads hold up to being dismounted could that tire handle a boot?

It's certainly worth a try!

Carma is gunna bite me now, I live in the middle of dear country, so many here we get 3 tags for hunting season this year....In 33 years on this farm,  I've never even found a shed. Think they all come off out in the woods.

Spreading fertilizer 2 years ago out in western MN right along the Red River I found 4 in the same field. Almost got 2 in the left tire of a big 3 wheeled Teragator,  that would have been expensive.

Couple weeks ago.Yes it's the brow tine and yes it went all the way to the tube.

WP_20180814_14_05_02_Pro.jpg

Wow , that's something I don't want to get catch up in the mower 👀👎🏿👀🤓

We had one that I remember. Brand new tires all around on the maxxum. Week later running the brush hog ran two tines straight through the tread part of the 14.9r24 . Glad for the warranty Firestone has 

Been lucky here so far. I think all the sheds end are in the woods on all the land we have and use. 

One perk of track type tractors...

Found this one while tedding hay that year, heard it Ting threw and caught glimpse of it flying.  Discbine did a job on it, luckily, no tire damage. Knock on wood, only one I've ever found in a field 

image.jpg

I’ve found a couple, but never in the field and never with a tire.

the one buck was definely in “decline” the year he dropped that one.  To old to have a typical rack.

B7D21DF5-CA37-47F2-8B08-10A56BA2CB4B.jpeg

A790C415-862C-4BE3-A3E2-EC918A30835F.jpeg

4 hours ago, bitty said:

We had one that I remember. Brand new tires all around on the maxxum. Week later running the brush hog ran two tines straight through the tread part of the 14.9r24 . Glad for the warranty Firestone has 

That you Bitty??

41703314_2036864666376243_3336211289931251712_o.jpg

• Haha 1

Maybe should I go put a new pair of shoes on the C and just go drive around...maybe I would have better luck than hunting for sheds.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, redneckchevy9 said:

Maybe should I go put a new pair of shoes on the C and just go drive around...maybe I would have better luck than hunting for sheds.

Sounds kinda expensive. 

I have had the most luck looking from the seat of the Kubota RTV. The extra elevation it provides my eyes helps some