1586 Jeff

Case IH 2096 Good, Bad, & Ugly

A neighbor has just offered to sell me a Case IH 2096.  What is the Good, Bad, & Ugly about one of these?

Well it has the name right on it so start there.   Cant Afford Something Else. (case)  

• Haha 1

Cummins 5.9 is the best part of the tractor. Watch the powershift. 

IIRC something about don't leave the PS in R when tractor is in park and tractor is being used for stationary PTO power (blowing silage/running grain auger ECT). At least that is what I remember being told by a retired CASE&CaseIH mechanic.

Rick

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

IIRC something about don't leave the PS in R when tractor is in park and tractor is being used for stationary PTO power (blowing silage/running grain auger ECT). At least that is what I remember being told by a retired CASE&CaseIH mechanic.

Rick

Yes, I think that applied to all the older Case power shift transmissions. I tried out a 2096 when they were fairly new. Seemed like a nice enough tractor at the time. Obviously after this many years it might be hard to find one that does not have high hours. 

We had one , was an excellent tractor and probably the best thing on fuel we have ever owned. Only reason we traded was for more power. My cousin had one and it got traded with 11000 hrs and never had a wrench put to it. I had a 5250 for a very short while and would take a 2096 any day over one of those toys.

PTO's are kinda weak

We have a 2090 (1983 model?)-----2096 is upgraded version with the 2094 produced in between.

Well balanced, heavy frame, 108 hp with 4 speed range + 3 speed powershift with large comfortable cab-----good A/C.  We like the 2090-----I have heard the 2096 is improved.  (12----13,000 lb tractor)

I have no experience on the Cummins engine.

Earlier posted is correct------stationary  operation of pto requires transmission to be in PARK.

Check shifting of power shift out-----should shift sharply through each powershift level and lug engine down when holding brakes.

If tractor check out OK--------you should be happy with it.

Good luck

DD

4 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Earlier posted is correct------stationary  operation of pto requires transmission to be in PARK.

With power shift lever in 1st gear NOT reverse. 

4 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

With power shift lever in 1st gear NOT reverse. 

Thanks for clarifying my statement Tech.  (I didn't say what I was thinking)

Always make sure power shift is NOT IN REVERSE for stationary operation of pto.  (results being in park and 1st on powershift)

Don't know full details-----but It has to do with lubrication of the planetaries.

Note:  you can easily check the transmission filters by removing the flat cover from the filter cavity along right hand side of transmission housing.  Will need to catch a couple of gallons of oil in process. (will not drain entire transmission)

Might be worth your while------checking for trash/debris.  Clean filters are good sign everything is OK in the transmission and hydraulic system.

DD

9 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

We have a 2090 (1983 model?)-----2096 is upgraded version with the 2094 produced in between.

Well balanced, heavy frame, 108 hp with 4 speed range + 3 speed powershift with large comfortable cab-----good A/C.  We like the 2090-----I have heard the 2096 is improved.  (12----13,000 lb tractor)

I have no experience on the Cummins engine.

DD

I'd agree on that Anson. If that CDC Cummins engine is better than the old Case 504 then it must be a heck of an engine. My 2090 (8 speed standard shift) is at 8000 hours and never been opened up for maintenance on the engine. Plenty of pto work from hay conditioners to grain vac and auger , etc. and its never given a hint of trouble. 

Also------make sure the pto engagement "snaps into detent".

On my 2090-----pto engagement is via cable.  I bought the tractor used and didn't realize it was not "snapping into full detent" position on the hydraulic valve.  Ended up replacing the pto clutch pack from low pressure and slippage.

This could happen on any brand------if the valve is not holding open to maintain full operating pressure.

Don't know the means of engagement on a 2096--------but know I now have to pull hard to engage------and push hard to disengage.  (experience is best teacher-------but sorta expensive!!)😨

DD

19 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Also------make sure the pto engagement "snaps into detent".

On my 2090-----pto engagement is via cable.  I bought the tractor used and didn't realize it was not "snapping into full detent" position on the hydraulic valve.  Ended up replacing the pto clutch pack from low pressure and slippage.

DD

I never liked that pull button to engage the pto on the 90 series tractors. The earlier, and later series had the more user friendly lever style. Push forward to engage, pull back to dis-engage. The button eventually broke on mine and I got inventive and converted it to the lever style. I used a lever from an old washing machine. Could be a little longer but its still better than the original. 

I have a factory service manual if you buy it and are interested. 

scl1erl@aol.com