Jump to content

Wife’s first tractor


Farmall1066
 Share

Recommended Posts

The 706 standard I posted about on the coffee shop two weeks ago is now the wife’s tractor!! My honey is now officially an IH member!! It needs quite a bit of work, but I think we can do it, I told her, she has to help fix it, if she wants it, it’s not my responsibility.  So here it is

1B591AAA-369F-4321-9536-884E57E23162.thumb.jpeg.af182277581569ac73ae6695c4e681c3.jpeg

C1A43103-A045-4E2A-A8E2-5743501BCDED.thumb.jpeg.3d5503bf4bc5e7110f3fdecbdac7fb5d.jpeg

Good thing we got going for us, straight tin, and really nice fenders! Wish us, mainly her luck fellas!!

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just like mine except for the TA delete, never seen that up here. You have the good 8 bolt front wheels and wide fenders and the forward access steps, too. Is that what you guys call a Wheatland Special?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, R Pope said:

Just like mine except for the TA delete, never seen that up here. You have the good 8 bolt front wheels and wide fenders and the forward access steps, too. Is that what you guys call a Wheatland Special?

I know it as a standard, not sure the difference between a Wheatland or a standard?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MarkG said:

That will be a nice tractor. Looks like a 282 diesel. That 282 is a smooth running engine. What size rear tires are those?

18.4-34’s, one is blown apart and the other isn’t far away, finding good used 34” rubber is not easy, but located a good pair this evening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

I know it as a standard, not sure the difference between a Wheatland or a standard?

A wheatland was option Package just like your tractor. No pto, no ta forward steps usually 18.4 tires and skinny tires up front. Looks like tractor is complete and really straight. Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dale560 said:

A wheatland was option Package just like your tractor. No pto, no ta forward steps usually 18.4 tires and skinny tires up front. Looks like tractor is complete and really straight. Good luck.

Good to know, so it is a Wheatland.  Would it have a Wheatland decal above the 706 badge like the 1206, or was that just a 1206 thing? It does have a pto, but I’m sure it was added later in its life, it’s just the primer red color.  It is really straight, it came out of North Dakota about 15 years ago, somewhere around Minot if I remember correctly?! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Good to know, so it is a Wheatland.  Would it have a Wheatland decal above the 706 badge like the 1206, or was that just a 1206 thing? It does have a pto, but I’m sure it was added later in its life, it’s just the primer red color.  It is really straight, it came out of North Dakota about 15 years ago, somewhere around Minot if I remember correctly?! 

That is where we live. I have never seen a sticker on a 706 myself. Not saying they were or were not available. I had a picture of a original sticker on a 806 a month ago but I erased pic off my phone was going to repost it for you. Maybe Jeff the emblem guy will chime in he is pretty knowledgeable on the stickers for those. We used to add ptos into those tractors up to about 15 years ago. There were a lot of them without pto around here but lots had TAs. You can see front rims have been changed also. It would have come with skinny front tires.yours is what a wheatland option would have been.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Update on the 706.  Finally got time and some parts put together to start on the 706.  Well, not far into the process, we found out number one cylinder had some white residue in the exhaust port, not what I wanted to see, so pulled the head! The tops of the pistons look good, but zero crosshatching left in the cylinders, and number one exhaust valve seat is chewed up?! It also looks like the valve guides are getting pounded up into the springs?! So it looks like the engine is in trouble.  
Now I’m on the fence with it?? Part it out, or continue forward? It’s sat for roughly 20-25 years, and I’m wondering now if it was parked for more reasons than just oil leaking between the auxiliary valves under the seat?!  
Does anyone know where a good running D282 might be sitting a guy could buy?? 
B2807D96-E276-470D-9023-32EB7212A26C.thumb.jpeg.c53b333870eb186cf05828ec586bad5a.jpeg
B51A0E2A-C3A5-495D-86DD-9276C67FDD3E.thumb.jpeg.53f36728d159faa7b9ad898a615d5758.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats such a neat tractor, would hate to see it parted out.   For parade use, wouldn't re-honing the cylinders, new rings, and a rebuilt head get you running decent again??   As long as the block and head itself isn't damaged, guides, seats, valves can be fixed.  I'm no expert on those motors, though, so maybe others with more experience can say a lot more. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s the hot set up !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was looking for a engine there is two places I would check. One in Henderson Lieske tractor was taking one apart a week or so ago with a running 282. Knight tractor in Ellsworth WI also had one for sale. Good Luck, I liked my 706 with the 282 when I had it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

how come she is not sitting on it?  ooh now you tore the engine out! now she probably don't want it. 

 but yes very nice original tractor. nothing to find those engines. or fix that one. needs the head done  700.00- 1k. depends on parts. will need seats, valves. guides a planning. plus it will get a dunking and magnaflux. but worth it. then sleeves and pistons another 2k. plus check the camshaft . plus injectors and pump may need work another 2k.  if the pump is still mounted on the engine spin the engine over and see if it spurts out some diesel out of the lines. if not it needs repair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rustred said:

how come she is not sitting on it?  ooh now you tore the engine out! now she probably don't want it. 

 but yes very nice original tractor. nothing to find those engines. or fix that one. needs the head done  700.00- 1k. depends on parts. will need seats, valves. guides a planning. plus it will get a dunking and magnaflux. but worth it. then sleeves and pistons another 2k. plus check the camshaft . plus injectors and pump may need work another 2k.  if the pump is still mounted on the engine spin the engine over and see if it spurts out some diesel out of the lines. if not it needs repair. 

I’m guessing it needs the whole works! I already got a quote on the pump, injectors, and glow plugs.  That was $3500!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VacDaddyt said:

If I was looking for a engine there is two places I would check. One in Henderson Lieske tractor was taking one apart a week or so ago with a running 282. Knight tractor in Ellsworth WI also had one for sale. Good Luck, I liked my 706 with the 282 when I had it.

I put a call into Scott, haven’t heard back yet.  I’ll have to call Lieske tomorrow!! Thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look for a 715 with a D-301. It will give it a little more power and they seem to start a little better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing first, I took the head to a machine shop for a magnaflux, if it’s not cracked, I’ll move forward with rebuilding the head, and hone the cylinders.  If head is cracked, I may just be done with it until I can find something complete to drop in.  Maybe a 361 and get away from glow plugs!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, Farmall1066 said:

The 706 standard I posted about on the coffee shop two weeks ago is now the wife’s tractor!! My honey is now officially an IH member!! It needs quite a bit of work, but I think we can do it, I told her, she has to help fix it, if she wants it, it’s not my responsibility.  So here it is

 

I tried telling my wife the next tractor could be hers, so she wouldn't get all complain-y about buying it. Then she said it it was hers, she'd paint it pink.

Nope. No Way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

I tried telling my wife the next tractor could be hers, so she wouldn't get all complain-y about buying it. Then she said it it was hers, she'd paint it pink.

Nope. Now Way.

Yeah I’m not sure a pink tractor would look good?!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WaynefromWi said:

Will this help... Wausau, Wi. craigslist.                   https://wausau.craigslist.org/grd/d/stevens-point-ih-282-out-of-706/7093556559.html

I’ve called him, but I’m going to see if head I have is cracked, if not I might just continue forward with what I have.  If cracked then I might hold out for a running engine to put in, and save some overhaul expenses?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...