Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Raithel

IH 830 Silage Chopper Opinions?

Been wanting to pick up a silage chopper and found an 830 with a two row narrow head and a pickup head. Just wondering if anyone is still using one and what you guys thought of them that have used one in the past?

i have also been told to look for a New Holland 900 as it is capable of running a 3 row head. 

Thanks Curtis 

830 may be hard to get parts.  We went to a 900 NH in 1999, last one sold here.  Had 830 before.  900 is better imo.  Parts are fair priced and every where.  Kooima had good stuff we felt.  3 row head went so smooth vs old 3 row we had on 830.  It would cut cross row no prob.  Needed 250hp (no joke) to run processor and 3 row FYI.  2 row 220hp at least.  No processor (worth having) 17-180 be fine.  900 is pretty easy to fix up to.  Grease every 8 hr with good grease make big dif.  Remember a FP230 is same with few improvements.  Little heavier.  FP240 is awesome pull behind.  

We sold and went custom chopper in 09.  Our 900 is still working on another dairy.  Man it must of chopped 10000 ac of grass by now!

Yeah, the 830/881 choppers are *VERY* long in the tooth. Parts are EXPENSIVE if you can get them. Dad started out with an 830 in the mid 1980's and "upgraded" to an 881 which he still has. We just chopped about 25 loads of hay with it here over the  last week. The corn head has a few more loads left in it but it really needs about $2500 in parts which is more than the whole chopper with both heads is worth.

The corn head is the weak link, particularly the gathering belt system. Knife discs tend to be worn down to the nubs and they're over $250 each (need 2 per row). Belts were over $250 last time I looked, also 2 per row. If the knives aren't cutting cleanly, stalks build up under the head, and if you don't stay on top of it, they get sucked under a belt, throwing it off, straight into the knives and then through the feedrolls.

If you're not going to chop corn with it, and it has good knives, the chopper should go a long time. Not much to go wrong with the hay head.

I second looking at New Holland if you're going to chop corn. The gathering chains are a much better design.

Ran the New Idea version of this harvester for years, was a good & simple machine. Problem we ran into was parts availability & price. Traded up to a NH 900 3 row with KP. It has been a great machine, wore the floor out under the cutter head. Rebuilt floor along with rest of harvester... i.e drive sprockets and chains a couple of times. It owes us nothing and will go to the field again (soon as Florence passes) we run for our 2 farms plus several neighbors. Parts availability is good thru CNH or after market sources. 

Parts availability can't be worse than parts availability for Fox choppers.

How close is your nearest dealer,     A wore out chopper is misery,    doesn't matter the brand ,       We have chopped with "Gehl" choppers for 55 years,  our current pull chopper is a Gehl 1285,  but Gehl doesn't build choppers any longer.   Over the years we have had "Uni-Systems to open fields and loaned to the neighbors,  704 & 709,  709 was used to chop earlage,    worked good in earlage.  

We purchased a" Hesston Field Queen"  V6 Detroit ,  240 horsepower,  Ours has the Dump box mounted to the frame of the chopper, Painted Hesston red,    Not Field queen yellow,  In the Mid 80's this machine was a powerhouse of the chopping world,   but today we use the 1285 behind our  3588,  Still a reliable combination.

Horsepower is needed to operate a chopper,  purchase a chopper that will match your tractor,   When that chopper wagon is "FULL" in a muddy field and your trying chop at a efficient speed you are going to need horsepower and traction,  (Try to keep the chopper head out of the mud & stay on the row)   Good luck!

Our Friends Have a  "Dion",   built in Wis.  has a "Kemper style" head,   There trade in was a New Holland 900.   Dion makes a heavy framed chopper,  They pull the Dion with a magnum 8940,  they chop into a truck driven beside the chopper.

Many choices,  shop wisely,  you can purchase a chopper at a local dairy farm auction,    our local paper is loaded with small farm auctions.        Jim Droscha

Have an IH 110  Silage Box only kept the gear, working condition I will give you for a donation to your local FFA !  Located in Gallatin Tenn  37066  Just North of Nashville Tenn  Semi accessable and can load it

1215171607a.jpg

Edited by Vanstractors
add location

45 minutes ago, Vanstractors said:

Have an IH 110  Silage Box only kept the gear, working condition I will give you for a donation to your local FFA !

1215171607a.jpg

Where are you located?

I just sold two of those. Not as cool though, they were a Gehl and a Kasten model. Same wagons.  Only used for 40 years, with no repairs ever.   Younger guy bought them and is chopping with them now. 

They are a good chopper, we have eight of them. The key to any of these old red pieces is to buy parts machines so when you have a problem you have a donor for parts. You can pick these old choppers up for 500- 5000.  It is all in what you are looking for.

• Like 1

We've been trying to do that, but every one we go to look at is slap wore out, worse than the one we have.

Hardly ever see a small farm auction around here anymore, and when you do, the equipment is junk. I'm not talking just needs a few repairs, I'm talking rusted, twisted, beat to pieces, shove it on the boat to China JUNK. Not even good parts left on it. Way it works around here is you keep going until the last tractor quits, then you have an auction.

Saw a decent 881 sell on a consignment 2 years ago came with a 2 row head and hay head. Brought 1100.00. Guy I know told me to bid on it to 1000.00. After the buyer came up to me and asked if I wanted the head's. Could have them both for 500.00. Said all he wanted the chopper for is to shred tree branches. I just looked at him and w.alked away. He could have bought a old Gehl 600 for 500.00 that looked halfway useable for what he wanted to do 15 minutes earlier. I thought what a idiot!