Sign in to follow this  
bitty

XM radio question

'12 suburban we just got has XM in it. Is this something that I have to pay a subscription for? I was pushing buttons today and I got on XM stations. Could it be that it works yet because the previous owner still has it paid up for the time being? I was thinking my sister got this or Sirius years ago for her hubby and it was a pay to use thing or has that changed? 

The previous owners subscription probably isn't up yet. Enjoy it while you can. Xm is a subscription based radio service the way I understand it

• Thanks 1

You get a free couple month trial. I got it after I bought my 09 2500hd. They send me things in the mail trying to get me to sign up. 

Be careful, if she gets used to it, you may end up subscribing to it! I know my wife has already told me when our free year trial in our new van is up, we are subscribing to it!🙄

• Haha 3

$19.24 a month. I should see the charge in my online banking by morning. It was only $12 when I started, and zero commercials. Now there are a ton of commercials on some stations. I get all riled up about it and think I'm going to quit, but terrestrial radio sucks worse. 

1 minute ago, Dave Shepard said:

$19.24 a month. I should see the charge in my online banking by morning. It was only $12 when I started, and zero commercials. Now there are a ton of commercials on some stations. I get all riled up about it and think I'm going to quit, but terrestrial radio sucks worse. 

After my free trial they send me deals to get me to sign up. I think they offered me like $5 a month for 3 yrs to sign up a few months ago 

They turn on all radios for free during holidays (4th of July, thanks giving, Christmas). They give you a sample so you’ll sign up.

2 minutes ago, MarkG said:

They turn on all radios for free during holidays (4th of July, thanks giving, Christmas). They give you a sample so you’ll sign up.

This. I think it sucks. Spent about 20 hours in a rental back in April. Same crap over and over,commercials,more talk than music.

29 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

The previous owners subscription probably isn't up yet. Enjoy it while you can. Xm is a subscription based radio service the way I understand it

Exactly.  You could probably ask for a free trial when it is up but they will probably want a credit card number.  This way they can charge you when you forget to cancel once free time is up.  We do pay for it in one of our vehicles.  Real nice when traveling since you can keep the same stations across the country.

Had xm in the semi. Then one day it quit  previous owner subscription. I signed up but didnt get a bill for 4 years. Finally it came $500 plus. I didnt pay it a year later they shut it off but yhen i got introductory offers about the same time. Seems to me it is a lousy run business. Never have heard from them about not paying. Oh well

If you spend a lot of time in a city, with tall buildings, or in forested areas, you won't like it.

It has to have line of sight to a satellite to work. Even gas station canopies will block it.

On the up-side, you can listen to the same station from coast to coast.

I have it in 3 vehicles, and it rarely gets off 60's on 6, or 50's on 5.

Mike

13 minutes ago, mikem said:

If you spend a lot of time in a city, with tall buildings, or in forested areas, you won't like it.

It has to have line of sight to a satellite to work. Even gas station canopies will block it.

On the up-side, you can listen to the same station from coast to coast.

I have it in 3 vehicles, and it rarely gets off 60's on 6, or 50's on 5.

Mike

Yeah I pull into the barn or garage and it quits working 

I think a few stations always work as demonstrations trying to get you to sign up. At least last 2 cars i bought used worked that way. Dont listen to radio near as much as i used to and no way im gonna pay to anyway. I can see for traveling sales people or truckers it might be nice.

11 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I think a few stations always work as demonstrations trying to get you to sign up. At least last 2 cars i bought used worked that way. Dont listen to radio near as much as i used to and no way im gonna pay to anyway. I can see for traveling sales people or truckers it might be nice.

I wouldn't mind it sometimes for when I spend 8 to 15hrs in a truck plowing snow  but that's only 4 months out of the year so not worth it to me. XM repeats music eventually but it's not like regular radio when you can hear a song 15-25 times in 24 hrs. 

Just dont deal with thier pakistany customer service

• Haha 1

I get it rentals in the mountains; if not regular stations are almost useless as the terrain blocks the signal.Really deep and narrow canyons like Glenwood will even block the satellite for some short time. 50s on 5 through 90s on 9 and back again. 40s on 4 no longer there for some reason. It was nice to hear some wartime tunes on occasion.

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I Dont listen to radio near as much as i used to and no way im gonna pay to anyway. I can see for traveling sales people or truckers it might be nice.

Ha-Ha,  I got out of the habit of listening to the radio years ago. My old F250 I gave to SON he told me the radio head unit and 3 of the 4 factory speakers didn't work.  Was news to ME!  He's put a new Pioneer head unit with Blue Tooth and aux inputs in it and 4 new speakers.  He plays lots of music off his phone on his seven mile commute to work!

Most of the miles on the truck were my 60-75 mile each way commute.

My new truck has Sirius radio, when the free trial ends I'm not getting it unless they give me one heck of a deal. Wife has it in her car.

My wife has it in her car , she loves it. Don't care what it costs; makes her happy! Lots more stuff and much less commercials, no stupid "morning shows". I've found I like several music channels playing 50's stuff to even the present day and lots of tunes from well known bands that are not heard on regular radio.

1 minute ago, TomH said:

My wife has it in her car , she loves it. Don't care what it costs; makes her happy! Lots more stuff and much less commercials, no stupid "morning shows". I've found I like several music channels playing 50's stuff to even the present day and lots of tunes from well known bands that are not heard on regular radio.

Happy wife happy life!  Haha 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Be careful, if she gets used to it, you may end up subscribing to it! I know my wife has already told me when our free year trial in our new van is up, we are subscribing to it!🙄

Yep, somehow I got caught in that trap too.

Rick

When it time to renew, don't do it until the last minute, every year they cut my subscription cost in half when I tell them I can't afford it at full price. Make sure if its on your vehicle now to get in touch with them or they will renew it at full cost even if you don't tell them you want it. If you don't pay they send it to a collection agency.

This weekend they had a deal where all SiriusXM radio were made active. It ends at 11:59 PM tonight. This might be why you have it. Also I know some "certified" used cars get it from a dealer. I know this is true with Chrysler. 

Bought a used 04 Yukon and it had XM, when the service ran out we renewed and paid for a couple years, then decided to let it go. Called them and said we were not renewing and to shut it off. They never did but quit billing us for it. Kept sending offers to renew all the while the radio kept working. I think we went 5 years with free XM and the guy who owns it now says it is still working! Out here over the air radio is not that good so satellite radio is nice to have. We have a couple portable units that we can move from vehicle to vehicle, even the tractors and I take it in the truck also. It takes about 10 hours to make a fuel run so the radio helps keep my insanity level down. I like Y2K, Classic Vinyl, Jeff and Larry's Comedy channel and the Road Dog Trucking at times. News and sports, there is always something to listen to. There is some advertising on the channels I listen too but not bad. I like that you can pause live radio, go back up to a half hour and skip forward past the commercials. I don't really like the cost but it is worth it to me as I spend a lot of time on the road, mostly at night so it helps me stay awake.

Since I have unlimited data on my phone it’s only another dollar a month for the app to listen on it.

Pandora thru my smart phone. Aux cord to the radio. Listen thru speakers in the car or truck. 

Free. 😉